Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:16 pm

USB MCGC issues

I had no trouble unloading USB MCGC from the OD/OM deal a week ago but I bought 2 USB MCGC from Meijer for their $10 off gift card sale and have been declined at 2 separate locations. They are the ones with the hay stack on them which I used last week fine. I registered them online and am going to try again but I thought it was weird that they were not working now.

any ideas?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
yeah theres a thread on it like 10 posts down
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Just got rejected at 2 POs in NorCal citing that they needed to see "bank logos" and "my name on the card."

I think the PO is fizzling out.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by lesamuel
Just got rejected at 2 POs in NorCal citing that they needed to see "bank logos" and "my name on the card."

I think the PO is fizzling out.
My go-to PO in L.A. rejected my OV Visa card. Clerk didn't ask to look at it. Let me swipe and enter pin. Transaction declined, contact bank message.

Doublechecked online to verify I had $500 on the card still.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Seems the last GC shut down started out west and the ill wind blew east a few months later.

Not surprised to see another replay of the tragedy of the town common.

Listen hard and you can hear the faint sound of Jim Morrison singing This is the End.....

Originally Posted by cheaptom
My go-to PO in L.A. rejected my OV Visa card. Clerk didn't ask to look at it. Let me swipe and enter pin. Transaction declined, contact bank message.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Apr 12, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:04 pm

Just made one mo in Texas with an ovmc meta. Accidentally grabbed two of the 'espanol' versions at three-letter and first tried to unload at FD on Serve but got a card invalid error.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by brody24
Went on a trial run of VGC --> USPS MO. First place asked to see my debit card before I could swipe it. Said she wanted to make sure it had a bank logo on it. Second place asked what bank my debit card was associated with. Third place asked to see the card also. Manhattan is the world capital of financial fraud and money scams so its really no surprise that they are far more honed in on this issue.
Time to get on NJ Transit, the LIRR or Metro North then. Or drive across a bridge or tunnel
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Seems the last GC shut down started out west and the ill wind blew east a few months later.

Not surprised to see another replay of the tragedy of the town common.

Listen hard and you can hear the faint sound of Jim Morrison singing This is the End.....

I hope not - USPS is soooooo much easier and better then Wally World
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:26 pm

MS went mainstream and these are the results.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
MS went mainstream and these are the results.
We had a nice little Flyertalk community with an understood "Shhhhh" then along came Reddit....
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, we got Burned, Baby, Burned by Reddit.

We had a nice little Flyertalk community with an understood "Shhhhh" then along came Reddit....
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Indeed, we got Burned, Baby, Burned by Reddit.
LOL, yeah. I'm not a regular Reddit reader at all, and I only check Reddit posts when Flyertalk people provide specific links. The stuff you see on there truly has ruined it for all of us.
"I demanded to see the manager."
"My Reddit friends say you MUST accept this gift card."
"I asked the clerk: Hi, I'm trying this sneaky new thing called Manufactured Spending. Can you help me churn a gift card?"
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:42 am

One day last month, there was a network glitch, and many got their transactions declined. Everything was fine the following day. Let's hope that's the case here as well...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
LOL, yeah. I'm not a regular Reddit reader at all, and I only check Reddit posts when Flyertalk people provide specific links. The stuff you see on there truly has ruined it for all of us.
"I demanded to see the manager."
"My Reddit friends say you MUST accept this gift card."
"I asked the clerk: Hi, I'm trying this sneaky new thing called Manufactured Spending. Can you help me churn a gift card?"
It's ridiculous. The key to MS is laying low - not calling Visa or asking for a manager. SMH Reddit.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by randomdude
One day last month, there was a network glitch, and many got their transactions declined. Everything was fine the following day. Let's hope that's the case here as well...
Yeah, let's hope. I'll try again next week and report back. The clerk didn't suspect MS at all. Didn't ask to see my card, or care if it was a gift card, or care if it had a bank logo, etc. She just asked me to check with my bank to see if I had enough funds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.