Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by ucfzf10
The other day one postal clerk told me about a guy who did $20K in one transaction. And this was mostly with $100/$200 GCs (a pile of them). He held up the line for 45 minutes. He also had rubber stamp with name/signature etc so he was apparently stamping the MOs as they were printed and handed out.

THIS is why good things won't last. This idiot is going to kill the POs in my area.
Exactly! I go once a week or something for one money order and am always very nice to the staff and have everything ready. That has got to look like MLing when you do it in that volume....
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
if YOUR PO is already giving hints of suspicious activity with those who buy MOs with multiple DCs, take it as a warning especially if you plan to do at least 2 swipes. If you're only doing one swipe, there's no reason for them to suspect you're "one of them". But it's really up to you depending on your risk tolerance. I know a lot of people that have gotten warnings they didn't heed and then...their greatest fear happened.

as to PIs going to visit you, you'll find out once they're there

what exactly is there to be worried about when you aren't doing anything wrong.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
if YOUR PO is already giving hints of suspicious activity with those who buy MOs with multiple DCs, take it as a warning especially if you plan to do at least 2 swipes. If you're only doing one swipe, there's no reason for them to suspect you're "one of them". But it's really up to you depending on your risk tolerance. I know a lot of people that have gotten warnings they didn't heed and then...their greatest fear happened.

as to PIs going to visit you, you'll find out once they're there
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
what exactly is there to be worried about when you aren't doing anything wrong.
would it make you comfortable to keep going to a PO, where you know they are already not as receptive / friendly towards you using multiple debits to buy MO?

on top of that, there are some HH visiting the same location, one of whom might stir up the situation and cause problems.

whether the action is right or wrong (in this case, nothing illegal abt it), i think it is to our benefit to be sensitive to the situation at hand as well, and to the people who are on the other side of transaction.

i mean, there are usually other POs around the vicinity of one PO. for me, i would just go scout out another PO.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by acarney
How exactly do you manage to carry in all those cards AND your balls!? That's insane!! :P
I wear cargo shorts!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by alphakenny1
That's great and all and I hope you weren't holding up the line or making the cashier super annoyed.
There are usually 3 or 4 clerks working at a time and I'm always friendly with them so they are nice to me and don't mind at all.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by ucfzf10
The other day one postal clerk told me about a guy who did $20K in one transaction. And this was mostly with $100/$200 GCs (a pile of them). He held up the line for 45 minutes. He also had rubber stamp with name/signature etc so he was apparently stamping the MOs as they were printed and handed out.

THIS is why good things won't last. This idiot is going to kill the POs in my area.
I feel like there is always at least one of these kind of guys in each area

You can't change them. They are on a single-track mind to max out as much as possible (to their benefit) and would not have the sense or thought to consider others.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
would it make you comfortable to keep going to a PO, where you know they are already not as receptive / friendly towards you using multiple debits to buy MO?

on top of that, there are some HH visiting the same location, one of whom might stir up the situation and cause problems.

whether the action is right or wrong (in this case, nothing illegal abt it), i think it is to our benefit to be sensitive to the situation at hand as well, and to the people who are on the other side of transaction.

i mean, there are usually other POs around the vicinity of one PO. for me, i would just go scout out another PO.
what's HH? heavy hitter?

if a location was not friendly then yes go somewhere else. most places i have visited are just curious what i'm doing. i just tell them what i'm doing. if you take the time to explain to them what you are doing, nobody cares. most places only care about fraud, so it's up to the MSer to let people know everything we're doing is legit.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:44 pm

Lightbulb Unable to liquidate VGC at PO in Hallandale

Reporting from Hallandale, FL.

Succesful at purchasing 1 $500 Vanilla VGC - bancorp from my local CVS. (Walmart stated "cash only")
Unable to buy MO at my local PO, POS declined showed it as credit.

Anybody had any luck around my area? How do I liquidate this VGC?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia_nak
Reporting from Hallandale, FL.

Succesful at purchasing 1 $500 Vanilla VGC - bancorp from my local CVS. (Walmart stated "cash only")
Unable to buy MO at my local PO, POS declined showed it as credit.

Anybody had any luck around my area? How do I liquidate this VGC?

Thanks!
grocery stores will be your friend. either that or you can find one of the russians down at the Starbucks on hallandale beach blvd to wash it for you.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:08 am

Noticed something recently while buying MO...

So yesterday, I went to a local PO to purchase a MO, paid with a single vanilla VGC.
The receipt printer printed a small receipt which the clerk pulled and threw it somewhere (didn't really pay much attention to it at that point); then she printed the MO and the standard receipt which was handed to me.

Today, I went to a different PO and did a similar transaction. This time the same thing occurred -- a receipt was printed which the clerk filed into a box "Debit cards only" on his desk before printing the MO/customer receipt.

Now, I don't do MO too often but I've never noticed this little receipt that is kept on file before...

I'm assuming it is for fraud prevention or something? Am I being paranoid?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by nopoints
So yesterday, I went to a local PO to purchase a MO, paid with a single vanilla VGC.
The receipt printer printed a small receipt which the clerk pulled and threw it somewhere (didn't really pay much attention to it at that point); then she printed the MO and the standard receipt which was handed to me.

Today, I went to a different PO and did a similar transaction. This time the same thing occurred -- a receipt was printed which the clerk filed into a box "Debit cards only" on his desk before printing the MO/customer receipt.

Now, I don't do MO too often but I've never noticed this little receipt that is kept on file before...

I'm assuming it is for fraud prevention or something? Am I being paranoid?
It's standard procedure. If you pay with multiple cards, there will be a separate little receipt for each one. PO is really backwards in how they process MO transactions.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It's standard procedure. If you pay with multiple cards, there will be a separate little receipt for each one. PO is really backwards in how they process MO transactions.
Thanks, I thought it was something new but I guess I never noticed it before.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:57 pm

D-bag USPS counter clerk filled out Form 8105-B, Suspicious Transaction Report, on me today.

Link to printed form: http://www.napusknowledgebase.org/do...30.ps8105b.pdf

Pretty sure reason was: "Comes in frequently and always purchases less than $3,000 worth." I do visit every day or so, and buy one (sometimes two) MOs each time. Never any probs until today.

He got my personal info from my DL, which he asked for AFTER selling me two MOs. I should have just refused.

From instructions: "Without alerting customer(s), provide as much of the following information as possible. Complete this form only after the customer
leaves. Provide only information obtainable from behind the counter. Employee safety is the most important priority."

He refused to explain what he was doing, although I could see his screen said 8105-B. From USPS site: "It is a violation of federal law to alert or inform the cus.tomer that you are completing a PS Form 8105-B. Under no circumstances may you warn the customer or indicate in any way that you intend to complete a PS Form 8105-B to report the customer’s activity." https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet.../updt_012.html
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
D-bag USPS counter clerk filled out Form 8105-B, Suspicious Transaction Report, on me today.
Dallas POs have gone insane on this too. I had one filled out on me for only $2k last week. Another PO is now saying I have to fill one out for just one since I have bought them previous days. They keep saying some memo came out recently on suspicious debit card MOs, but I think they are lieing to get out of doing a simple MO transaction(s). I'm going to bring a copy for the 8105-A with me from now on that states only $3k or more.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat

Link to printed form: http://www.napusknowledgebase.org/do...30.ps8105b.pdf

Pretty sure reason was: "Comes in frequently and always purchases less than $3,000 worth." I do visit every day or so, and buy one (sometimes two) MOs each time. Never any probs until today.

He got my personal info from my DL, which he asked for AFTER selling me two MOs. I should have just refused.

From instructions: "Without alerting customer(s), provide as much of the following information as possible. Complete this form only after the customer
leaves. Provide only information obtainable from behind the counter. Employee safety is the most important priority."

He refused to explain what he was doing, although I could see his screen said 8105-B. From USPS site: "It is a violation of federal law to alert or inform the cus.tomer that you are completing a PS Form 8105-B. Under no circumstances may you warn the customer or indicate in any way that you intend to complete a PS Form 8105-B to report the customer’s activity." https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet.../updt_012.html
why don't you fill out the over 3k form and do a big purchase since they are OK with it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.