Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
they work. is it bancorp or metabank? did you check if there is a balance online? sometimes they don't activate correctly
Thanks, it's a bankcorp mastercard.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Thanks, it's a bankcorp mastercard.
Is there balance online? Does the transaction show up? If the answer to first is no then the card wasn't activated correctly (hope you have the receipt) if the answer is yes but second is no it means the transaction didn't go through at all and was probably a glitch
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
Is there balance online? Does the transaction show up? If the answer to first is no then the card wasn't activated correctly (hope you have the receipt) if the answer is yes but second is no it means the transaction didn't go through at all and was probably a glitch
great thank you, i'll check it and give it another try.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Issue for PO is to do with split payments. If card 1 goes through but later cards fail the transaction cannot be easily cancelled and the funds returned to the successful card.

They are assuming you have no backup payment, so it is easier to just say no. The split payments only tend to be those of us doing gebits so it is easy to just day 'No gebits'.

Originally Posted by mensday
thinking that split transactions are causing issues rather than the type of card. OVs do not work at any of POs around me (for the last few weeks) when trying to buy $998.40. However, when I tried $495 today the OV worked.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:03 am

DP: safeway explore everywhere $200 worked in walmart.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:48 am

So I'm curious. If the money orders are for legit things, say paying a personal loan that only accepts checks, electronic funds transfers, and money orders, would there be ANY worry of money laundering? Especially if say I did $500 every two weeks (pay days) or something.

I can show legitimate earning of funds, purchase of a debit gift card (One Vanilla Visa gift card issued by Bancorp), and then purchase of a money order made out to a legitimate loan company. I'm well under reporting limits and I'm not making them out to myself or cashing them myself or anything. My goal is to make a rather low (compared to you guys :P) $4,000 initial spend in 90 days on a card that will ultimately be used as a daily spend card, so there will be a record of random daily small purchases as well as a $500 gift card every couple weeks.

So I guess the plan would be to go to Walgreens and use my credit card to buy a One Vanilla Visa Giftcard issued by Bancorp for $500. Then go to the post office and request a $475 or some other number that doesn't look like I'm trying to slide under some kinda reporting limit or something made out to my loan company and then mail that off as an additional payment (since my main payment is auto drawn) and burn the leftover gift card on daily crap.

Obviously this method isn't going to get me hundreds of thousands of points on a steady basis, but this should work for my small project...

(seriously wish I had known about the Chase Sapphire Reserve BEFORE I burned like six grand in the last couple months on a personal trip and holidays... I'm back into save mode now >.<)
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by acarney
So I'm curious. If the money orders are for legit things, say paying a personal loan that only accepts checks, electronic funds transfers, and money orders, would there be ANY worry of money laundering?
Let me stop you right there and explain to you what money laundering is.

mon·ey laun·der·ing
noun
noun: money laundering; noun: moneylaundering
the concealment of the origins of illegally obtained money, typically by means of transfers involving foreign banks or legitimate businesses.
"he was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion"

Is your money illegally obtained?

If the answer is no, you have absolutely no worry of money laundering.

Also, there is no such thing as "legal money laundering." Money laundering is inherently illegal. There is no such thing as a legal illegal thing.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
Let me stop you right there and explain to you what money laundering is.

mon·ey laun·der·ing
noun
noun: money laundering; noun: moneylaundering
the concealment of the origins of illegally obtained money, typically by means of transfers involving foreign banks or legitimate businesses.
"he was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion"

Is your money illegally obtained?

If the answer is no, you have absolutely no worry of money laundering.

Also, there is no such thing as "legal money laundering." Money laundering is inherently illegal. There is no such thing as a legal illegal thing.
+1

Just chill. There are all sorts of legit reasons to get an MO. I once bought a car for $9000 and the seller wanted MO. I went to USPS to get them. If someone asks (which happens 1/100 times) I tell them we use them for budgeting in our family, or I tell them it is for a kid's camp in the summer or piano lessons or something. 1/500 times, an uptight employee at a certain grocery asks if I am using a gift card and says they don't accept, I say thanks and go down the street to the next store, or go to that same one 8 hours later.

Your biggest challenge is to get over your own feelings. You know you are taking advantage of cracks in the system to make some $ and feel like you shouldn't be able to. In reality, the steps you are doing are completely legitimate and done by other people every day for all kinds of reasons. You just need to step up with that mindset, and save your guilt for when you are looking at your bank account statement or point balances, it's a lot easier that way.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by dethkultur
+1

Just chill. There are all sorts of legit reasons to get an MO. I once bought a car for $9000 and the seller wanted MO. I went to USPS to get them. If someone asks (which happens 1/100 times) I tell them we use them for budgeting in our family, or I tell them it is for a kid's camp in the summer or piano lessons or something. 1/500 times, an uptight employee at a certain grocery asks if I am using a gift card and says they don't accept, I say thanks and go down the street to the next store, or go to that same one 8 hours later.

Your biggest challenge is to get over your own feelings. You know you are taking advantage of cracks in the system to make some $ and feel like you shouldn't be able to. In reality, the steps you are doing are completely legitimate and done by other people every day for all kinds of reasons. You just need to step up with that mindset, and save your guilt for when you are looking at your bank account statement or point balances, it's a lot easier that way.
I guess I'm a bit more worried about "blending into the data" rather then personal guilt. I don't want the card shut down, I don't wanna be banned from the post office, and I don't wanna be stuck with a bunch of money in gift cards. That's why I'm hoping this plan will look and seem far more legit (and reduce my risk by limiting the amount on a gift card at any one time) since it's actually being used for legit reasons and the only odd kink is the gift card step.

I just could see it being extremely sketchy looking to a post office employee if I had money orders made out to myself so I could later cash them out. Even if technically legal, I know they can refuse the service or ask me not to return if they don't feel right about it.... so trying to setup a plan that gets me where I want without becoming too "greedy" and burning my luck :P

I've also never done it before and find it all still extremely confusing and a constantly evolving system even after reading a lot here, so I'm trying to make the most clear (to myself) path to get them funded an purchased, setup with a PIN online, and then cashed out with a valid money order.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:36 am

I guess I'm a bit more worried about "blending into the data" rather then personal guilt. I don't want the card shut down, I don't wanna be banned from the post office, and I don't wanna be stuck with a bunch of money in gift cards. That's why I'm hoping this plan will look and seem far more legit (and reduce my risk by limiting the amount on a gift card at any one time) since it's actually being used for legit reasons and the only odd kink is the gift card step.

I just could see it being extremely sketchy looking to a post office employee if I had money orders made out to myself so I could later cash them out. Even if technically legal, I know they can refuse the service or ask me not to return if they don't feel right about it.... so trying to setup a plan that gets me where I want without becoming too "greedy" and burning my luck :P

I've also never done it before and find it all still extremely confusing and a constantly evolving system even after reading a lot here, so I'm trying to make the most clear (to myself) path to get them funded an purchased, setup with a PIN online, and then cashed out with a valid money order.
The USPS employee give you blank MOs that aren't filled out, and will probably tell you to move on somewhere else if you stay at the counter and start filling them out, so that is one less thing to worry about.

It IS your feelings that are your hang up. If you felt like you had a legit reason for getting an MO, none of the things you mentioned would keep you from strolling confidently up to a counter and getting one.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then DONT DO IT! It's not for everyone, once you get over the scared feeling guess what, it actually works. Don't go your first time with a few thousand in gift cards and try to liquidate them, start small with a few hundred dollars. There is always a risk in doing this, do more reading until you convince yourself to make the commitment to doing this. IMO you should probably just stick to selling gift cards or something if you are "afraid of blending into the data". Keep records of your transactions if you are truly scared.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dethkultur
+1

Gotta disagree with that. That may work for small amounts, but if anyone is scaling that won't fly. I find the truth works best. In USPO, SamsClub, and when my bank questioned the MO's. I was completely honest with all of them (provided statements to bank showing the gc purchases) and have no issues with any of them now.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:53 am

start small and slow. some may laugh, but back then, i started with $100 after an hr of reading abt what this whole process is about. and did a little dance in my head when i discovered the magic.

i echo other posters saying one must be confident while doing it. otherwise you will invite unwarranted suspicion with your apparent nervousness.

while reading / researching is a must prior to starting (which i think you already did, and sadly many do not), in your case, i think you are overthinking it a little.... for me, besides reading, i should mention that i actually 'honed' a lot of MS skills by actual practice and various experiments. having a thick skin helps too
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
start small and slow. some may laugh, but back then, i started with $100 after an hr of reading abt what this whole process is about. and did a little dance in my head when i discovered the magic.

i echo other posters saying one must be confident while doing it. otherwise you will invite unwarranted suspicion with your apparent nervousness.

while reading / researching is a must prior to starting (which i think you already did, and sadly many do not), in your case, i think you are overthinking it a little.... for me, besides reading, i should mention that i actually 'honed' a lot of MS skills by actual practice and various experiments. having a thick skin helps too
I've been trying to read off and on over the last year and keep giving up. I have to be honest, coming from outside this "system", the data here, while HUGE, isn't the easiest to get into, the learning curve seems steep, partly because of how much archived info is here. I kept burning out because I would spend hours trying to track back to a "step by step" process to start and would run across hundreds of posts that didn't apply any more because of how old they were and the system had evolved. I think I just need to jump in and test the waters with $100 and then scale up to a size I feel isn't extreme and I'm ok with. Once I buy my One Vanilla Visa card, I reload that at Walgreens right? Or is everyone buying NEW One Vanilla cards each time they need to make a "run" ?

Also, anyone able to confirm, as of today, these steps SHOULD work for me?

Go to local Walgreens, buy a One Vanilla Visa card for up to $500 (whatever I feel safe testing the first time) and pay using my new credit card.

Log on to check the balance after 24 hours and set a pin

Go to local post office and walk up to window and ask for a money order for whatever amount I loaded my One Vanilla Visa card for MINUS the post office fee, or less if I don't want a weird looking exact number. Example. Loaded for $100, ask for a $90 money order. Loaded for $500, ask for a $475 money order.

Swipe the card and enter my pin. They hand me a money order for the amount I asked for that is blank. I can then take this home or anywhere else to fill out. I can then fill out the money order to make a payment on my balance and mail it in.

I think I've got that down... right?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:37 pm

See my comment in red below.

I've been trying to read off and on over the last year and keep giving up. I have to be honest, coming from outside this "system", the data here, while HUGE, isn't the easiest to get into, the learning curve seems steep, partly because of how much archived info is here. I kept burning out because I would spend hours trying to track back to a "step by step" process to start and would run across hundreds of posts that didn't apply any more because of how old they were and the system had evolved. I think I just need to jump in and test the waters with $100 and then scale up to a size I feel isn't extreme and I'm ok with. Once I buy my One Vanilla Visa card, I reload that at Walgreens right? Or is everyone buying NEW One Vanilla cards each time they need to make a "run" ?

Also, anyone able to confirm, as of today, these steps SHOULD work for me?

Go to local Walgreens, buy a One Vanilla Visa card for up to $500 (whatever I feel safe testing the first time) and pay using my new credit card.

Log on to check the balance after 24 hours and set a pin -No need to wait 24 hours and assign a pin number for first use. Often times I've gone to WalGreen's, bought my $500 One Vanilla Visa card, crossed the street five mins later, and bought a money order for $498.75 from the post office.

You do not need to wait nor sign in and to assign a pin number. You can assign a pin when you use your card the first time. Since you'll most likely be using the card once, you can enter any random four numbers you want as the pin to process the transaction for the MO. But, if your going to keep a balance on the card and use it again for any reason, then yes make sure you enter a pin you can remember to use the card again. Once you've liquidated the funds from the card, toss, and repeat the process all over again.

Go to local post office and walk up to window and ask for a money order for whatever amount I loaded my One Vanilla Visa card for MINUS the post office fee, or less if I don't want a weird looking exact number. Example. Loaded for $100, ask for a $90 money order. Loaded for $500, ask for a $475 money order.

Swipe the card and enter my pin. They hand me a money order for the amount I asked for that is blank. I can then take this home or anywhere else to fill out. I can then fill out the money order to make a payment on my balance and mail it in.

I think I've got that down... right?

Last edited by GlobalPuros; Jan 10, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.