FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   All things Paypal (2017-onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1818829-all-things-paypal-2017-onwards.html)

kenme1 Jan 2, 2017 3:03 pm

All things Paypal (2017-onwards)

Went to buy PPMC cards at CVS, at four different stores there were none to be had. In fact they were the only cards not available, as if they were removed. Anyone seeing this? FYI my go to store before Christmas had at least 50 cards so I know they could not have all been purchased.

albertxue Jan 2, 2017 5:09 pm

PPMC @711 hardcode?

I heard that vgc could be bought at 711 with cc after chip implementation. I tried to buy PPMC today and was declined. The rep told me prepaid cards were ok but not PayPal. Is this true?

corpgator Jan 2, 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1 (Post 27693983)
Went to buy PPMC cards at CVS, at four different stores there were none to be had. In fact they were the only cards not available, as if they were removed. Anyone seeing this? FYI my go to store before Christmas had at least 50 cards so I know they could not have all been purchased.

Most of mine stopped carrying them and Wal-greens hardcoded cash only. I found a CVS about 5 miles further away that has probably a 100 in stock, but it must be far enough out of the fraud zone.

I bought one today and accidentally scratched off most of the middle numbers with my keys I usually use. I'll stick to coins from now on. Took me 6 tries to decipher the numbers.

Ayase Jan 9, 2017 5:06 pm

I can verify that Walgreens is hardcoded in WA as well, only 3.95 fee can be paid with credit card.

Gitangali Jan 9, 2017 7:28 pm

I can buy as many as VGCs I want at WM or Simon Mall, so Paypal won't do me any good. This is only for people who want to complete the sign on bonus spending requirement and don't have other avenues to purchase VGCs... Can some clarify?

The other opportunity could be when there is a drugstore category bonus.

neony77 Jan 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 27516786)
I used to buy about $1000 in PP MyCash cards per month and then use my PPBDMC to load SERVE/RB about a year ago. Since then, I've been using PP sparingly, just for Ebay and the occasional small purchase. I get small cash credits to PP via shopping portal payouts every month or so. But now I have a $7000+ payment I need to make, and I'm thinking of paying for a large portion of it by loading a large amount of MyCash cards to my account to make this payment. How risky does that sound?

I am in a similar position right now .. did you end up using PPMC loaded into your paypal account to make the payment? Thanks!

corpgator Jan 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1 (Post 27693983)

Yes. I have 10 CVS within a 6.5 mile radius and only 1 has PPMC. Some even still have the spot on the rack with the item description for PPMC still there from where they were removed.

ericdabbs Jan 12, 2017 5:15 am

Originally Posted by phatjoe (Post 27677069)
Thank you Mamibear. The initial attempt talking with a PP CSR was unsuccessful. She said I had withdrawn funds loaded with PPMC so I asked her to give me dates since I was looking at my transaction and knew that I had never done that. After being unable to find any then says PP decided not to do business with me and the reason doesn't matter. I asked her if she understood what she was telling me and if she thought it made sense. She couldn't answer me and then transferred me to a supervisor who sounded more professional. However, she stated that once a permanent limitation is in effect, they cannot remove it.

So how soon are you able to withdraw your funds or have you withdrawn all of it?

neony77 Jan 12, 2017 6:54 am

My kid's school allows tuition payment using a debit card for 0.99% fee that could be offset by the 1% cashback from PP debit card. Has anyone used PP Debit card to make tuition payments using funds loaded using PP cash cards? Does Paypal frown on these transactions as well? I would love to be able to use it but don't want to risk getting my paypal account limited. Anyone has any data points? Thanks!

Mamibear Jan 12, 2017 7:22 am

Originally Posted by phatjoe (Post 27677069)
The initial attempt talking with a PP CSR was unsuccessful. She said I had withdrawn funds loaded with PPMC so I asked her to give me dates since I was looking at my transaction and knew that I had never done that. After being unable to find any then says PP decided not to do business with me and the reason doesn't matter. I asked her if she understood what she was telling me and if she thought it made sense. She couldn't answer me and then transferred me to a supervisor who sounded more professional. However, she stated that once a permanent limitation is in effect, they cannot remove it.

any updates on your HUCA adventures?

since you tried to load your acct with MC from a reloadable card not knowing your PP acct is already limited can be a catch 22. I say that because if you file a dispute with your CC since PP won't help you, I'm not sure if CVS will be the one on the hook since they loaded your account although funds are now in limbo. If that is your go-to CVS, it may ruin your relationship with them and it may cause a policy change to cash only to prevent disputes from GC purchases. Like I said, I'm not sure if it'll be CVS who will have to eat the loss but I understand why you'd fight for $500, that is too much to lose.

If PP won't budge and your acct remains limited, you may have to wait till June to w/d your remaining funds there, if any. But I'm really curious if the recent MC load went to the account and * is now part of the freeze? If it is, then you shouldn't file a dispute with your CC but you may just have to wait patiently till your account 'thaws'. You have the option to file complaint with CFPB and that might force them to release your funds earlier than 6 months.

Good luck!

*I'm not sure if they'll give you this information or how you'll find out but I hope you do, so you can make informed choice.

ericdabbs Jan 13, 2017 12:05 am

Originally Posted by neony77 (Post 27748426)
My kid's school allows tuition payment using a debit card for 0.99% fee that could be offset by the 1% cashback from PP debit card. Has anyone used PP Debit card to make tuition payments using funds loaded using PP cash cards? Does Paypal frown on these transactions as well? I would love to be able to use it but don't want to risk getting my paypal account limited. Anyone has any data points? Thanks!

Paypal seems to be getting tighter and really enforcing the rules that PPMC are intended for retail purchases ONLY (buying MOs at a retail store won't save you either).

If you try to use them to pay for your kid's tuition it will work but your account will probably get limited eventually especially if your source of funds were majority PPMCs.

albertxue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 am

Anyone noticed that new iOS PayPal app had a function to add cash in store like cvs 711. I think it is basically a new version of reload PPMC. even the limit is same, 500 per day, 4000 per month.
Has anyone tried this method yet? If 711 allows credit card payment, that will be great .

frudd38 Jan 25, 2017 11:51 am

Just got a couple emails on what appear to be "warnings". One account has been loading for about a year and finally did a withdrawal last month. Other account just a handful of loads only, no withdrawals.

dothemath Jan 30, 2017 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 27816373)
Just got a couple emails on what appear to be "warnings". One account has been loading for about a year and finally did a withdrawal last month. Other account just a handful of loads only, no withdrawals.

You mean you loaded with PPMC and left the funds in your PP account? Why did you do that? What did the email say?

louloufafa Feb 15, 2017 9:38 am

Does anyone know whether PPMC is considered cash equivalents for Amex? I heard they may claw back points you earned via MS...