Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachfan
This is the thread for 2017.

NOTE NATIONWIDE VISA BUXX PROGRAM EXPIRES SOON - LAST FUNDING 1/31, must close out shortly thereafter (2/28). Spelled out on the home page

The thread for 2016 is here: Visa Buxx(2016)
The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here. The previous 2015 megathread is here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx
Stopped taking applications August 24, 2016.

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( PROMO CODE NOT WORKING)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $200
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000

From Jan. 11, the maximum reload value will be $200 per week.
and the maximum initial load is $100.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $2,000
•Max spend per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

Visa Buxx(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by flyonwall
nw buxx closing for all ... new notice showing up when I go to log in
Bye bye AA Exec Plat status. I'd fund with a Barclay AA card, drain by paying a Citi AA Exec card. Only way I could get the EQM bonus on both cards.

Oh well.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 15, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Yeah, today I received the official letters from NW in the mail.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:19 pm

Given the squeeze of only 3 loads per card left, within 3 days I added 2 new funding CC to make some min spend headway on. Upon adding the second my account became locked and 'under review.' Couldn't load, couldn't spend. I didn't call in, and 2 days later I'm back in! Godspeed if this happens to you.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:58 pm

At this point, just let the old friend pass quietly in the night.....
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:55 pm

BUXX Loads did not qualify for extra promotional points

I got a letter today from CITI that charges to load my BUXX prepaid card were classified as "quasi-cash-financial institution-merchandise and services" do not qualify for bonuses under an offer of 2 extra points for all spending.

They claim the offer was for 2 points per dollar spent on eligible purchases. I do not recall the limitation to qualified purchases and the exclusion of this category in what I was told, nor was I sent any terms and conditions with this phrase, or an explicit exclusion of this category of spending.

If this was indeed a condition, it was obscure enough so that their phone representatives could not explain why the points were missing.

Are there any cards for which a similar problem may occur, such as a BOA Travel Rewards one. ?

Were others aware of this condition?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:41 pm

I had a similar problem a few months ago. I did not get a retention bonus for AA Plat that I was expecting, so I called Citi and they told me the BUXX loads did not count as part of the required spending to get the bonus.

Originally Posted by ed765
I got a letter today from CITI that charges to load my BUXX prepaid card were classified as "quasi-cash-financial institution-merchandise and services" do not qualify for bonuses under an offer of 2 extra points for all spending.

They claim the offer was for 2 points per dollar spent on eligible purchases. I do not recall the limitation to qualified purchases and the exclusion of this category in what I was told, nor was I sent any terms and conditions with this phrase, or an explicit exclusion of this category of spending.

If this was indeed a condition, it was obscure enough so that their phone representatives could not explain why the points were missing.

Are there any cards for which a similar problem may occur, such as a BOA Travel Rewards one. ?

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:04 am

I would be ok. Under their card agreement, the BUXX laods would likely clasify as a cash advance transaction. Thanks for the post. This is good to know.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:07 pm

But, the charges show as purchases on your statements, correct? I've never had a problem with DoubleCash earning 2% on Buxx and I'm hoping it works for 50k AA miles as well.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:44 pm

Well, just want to say it sucks my easiest/only last MS method is now done. Dunno what I'm going to move on to next for easy rewards. Would hate to stick a fork in it.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by artgriego
Given the squeeze of only 3 loads per card left, within 3 days I added 2 new funding CC to make some min spend headway on. Upon adding the second my account became locked and 'under review.' Couldn't load, couldn't spend. I didn't call in, and 2 days later I'm back in! Godspeed if this happens to you.
How do you tell if your account becomes locked and 'under review'?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:28 am

CITI's treatment of BUXX loads

Originally Posted by artgriego
But, the charges show as purchases on your statements, correct? I've never had a problem with DoubleCash earning 2% on Buxx and I'm hoping it works for 50k AA miles as well.
Below is what appeared on the statement. I am thinking of fighting this since they could have made an exception clear, and it is well established contract law that any ambiguity is to be interpreted against the party that drafted the contract (this gives the drafter an incentive to be clear and avoid ambiguity, or sharp practices where the customer expects something and is then denied it on some technicality).

When I had noticed a deficiency, I had called and been told they were slow in posting and not to worry (if the rules were obvious, their representatives should have been able to identify it). They chose not to provide system that listed points earned against purchases (which could have been done) and which would make it easier to discover you were not earning points as expected.

"NATIONWIDE BANK/GIFT 866-213-3293 OH
. . . . .
Jan. 14, 2017
Category:
Services - MORTGAGE COMPANIES-FINANCIAL INSTITUTION"
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:02 pm

of course, I've been using these cards issue free for more than a year, and only now I get a problem. Really it's citi's bad, but i called in as usual to pay with debit, after regular hours so probably some outside call center, sounds like the woman has a cold from hell, my "saved" cards aren't showing for her, so i feed her the numbers again, confirmed, $600 debit showing on nationwide's side. 4 days later, nothing on citi, so i call and they have no incidence of a payment made. Now they need me to mail confirmation of the debit to them, hopefully they accept my screen printout. I haven't had to actually deal with nationwide CS yet, and I'd rather not. Mostly F citi tho haha

but still, I'll miss you, my buxx family
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:59 pm

It's 1/26, and the website is already down? I had a few more loading that I planned for spending...

-
It's back ON!

Last edited by parioneti; Jan 26, 2017 at 8:10 pm Reason: changed status
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:52 am

is the weekly ATM limit for NW Buxx a rolling 7-day window or does it reset on Sun/Mon
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by jamesflyertalk
is the weekly ATM limit for NW Buxx a rolling 7-day window or does it reset on Sun/Mon
Rolling 7 day window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.