Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Do you work for Chase?

1st post of yours asks for a lot of detail that could be used against others.
thats funny. no. i dont work for chase. haha. and there are many details all over here and other blogs that "could be used against others"...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Yes that's the problem the past year or so, no need to provide more breadcrumbs for the rats to follow.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, we haven't seen this many rats in the banks since the days of the last financial meltdown.

Originally Posted by mhdena
Yes that's the problem the past year or so, no need to provide more breadcrumbs for the rats to follow.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
hey davy, mind giving us a few more details of your situation? cant believe just MSing MSR got shut down even with eyes on accounts. cant imagine MSR of 1k-4k+ being a huge issue. but i dont like what i am reading. what do you think as the main reason? MS INK+ or CIP at all? assuming u didnt depo MO.
They had a few reasons on the letters they sent out but I recall "rapidly increasing balances" being the common theme. CIP/CSR/CSP/United. It may have been a combination of factors and maybe they would have overlooked the MSing but I believe I was considered high risk due to too many new accounts, rapidly increasing balances and the obvious MSing may have been the tipping point. I did file a cfpb to no avail.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Davyboyo
They had a few reasons on the letters they sent out but I recall "rapidly increasing balances" being the common theme. CIP/CSR/CSP/United. It may have been a combination of factors and maybe they would have overlooked the MSing but I believe I was considered high risk due to too many new accounts, rapidly increasing balances and the obvious MSing may have been the tipping point. I did file a cfpb to no avail.
I'm surprised they even gave that level of detail. Most banks are super secretive and just refer to their T&Cs that they can cancel without notice for no reason at all.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:57 pm

appreciate your DP and response. just like another poster, i am surprised they gave you enough detail in the letter for you to guess the real issue. i cant believe a CFPB did nothing.

"rapidly increasing balances" seems to be the common theme for many Chase shutdowns, but its more about high spending spikes outside the norm. u only did MSR. or you let ur cards close with high balances which showed up on the CR? doesnt sound like it.

you just did MSR which is low vol IMHO. thats why i was shocked to see your DP. very concerning. however, ur DP is just like all others during the massive chase sweep back in Q2 when many got shutdown but reinstated. its a shame u didnt get that chance. sorry to hear man. that really sucks.

many others had worse stats compared to u filling out the 5/24 slots ASAP and hitting MSR for the free trip to HI during the summer. everyone was warned. i am surprised reinstatement was even allowed. sorry to hear man.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:11 pm

I may have left it too long to do the CFPB as I wasnt aware I could even do that until I read it on a thread here 2 months later. I do remember having about 2K pending in Safeway VGCS on one of the cards at the time I got the letter. I paid each off before statement close each month but as mentioned earlier the returned payments due to the incorrect banking info was the killer. I even spoke to someone at the bank and he listed the reasons in the letters for the shutdown. One nice thing was that I had just reached min spend on my CSP just as I was shutdown and was not sure if I would get the bonus. A few weeks later the points posted which I was surprised about. They do try to be as helpful as possible while cutting your legs off at the knees!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:03 am

I may have left it too long to do the CFPB as I wasnt aware I could even do that until I read it on a thread here 2 months later. I do remember having about 2K pending in Safeway VGCS on one of the cards at the time I got the letter. I paid each off before statement close each month but as mentioned earlier the returned payments due to the incorrect banking info was the killer. I even spoke to someone at the bank and he listed the reasons in the letters for the shutdown. One nice thing was that I had just reached min spend on my CSP just as I was shutdown and was not sure if I would get the bonus. A few weeks later the points posted which I was surprised about. They do try to be as helpful as possible while cutting your legs off at the knees!
yes. letting it sit for 2 months may have given chase enough time to have a change of heart for the remaining few. during the height of the chaos, people were getting reinstated left and right. almost as if it was just a normal "fraud alert" scenario. one DP even showed how stupid brazen some of these n00bs were via apping CC1, shut down, reinstated, recon CC1 again, shut down, reinstated, stopped apping but kept MSing. like wattf. calm the helz down.

sure, the returned payments triggered a manual review, but wish you had CFPBed earlier! hope other banks are enough for your plans. if you use other SSN for chase, make sure they are not ur address or AU or anything related to ur SSN. they will get shut down too.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:07 am

More details: We used Ink Jan-April and then ordered from Staples in August for $1235 and that was it. We did the MSR on Hyatt in June. We used FU a little for regular spend and then went for it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
More details: We used Ink Jan-April and then ordered from Staples in August for $1235 and that was it. We did the MSR on Hyatt in June. We used FU a little for regular spend and then went for it.
appreciate the DP. helps others a lot. altho i still dont know wat to say about ur situation. unless reddit DPs are liars, there are plenty who go ape ham on OD Staples GC on INKs and not a peep out of them about shut downs. either they are not saying anything or are totally lucky and u are totally unlucky.

but i guess simon for 2K 2 mnths then 5K 2 mnths on FU was too "consistent behavior of MS" for chase. thats my only guess + eyes on account w/ WM promo unless your CL was at 5k. then that means you were close to CL often.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:08 pm

1. SHUTdn by : UFB Direct
2. Length of account before closure and CL? 3 Yrs
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings? few hundred
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months? 2k-3k
5. Cycle CL? no
6. Did you BP using both options? Yes

UFB send standard letter of 30 day closer.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Here's your red flag:

You said previously you were not credit cycling, but if you routinely ran up a balance and paid it off before your statement closed, then credit cycling is exactly what you were doing. Were you doing that regularly, and on more than one card? Highly suspicious, a big red flashing "RISK" that screams "Look at me!!!" and IMHO almost certainly what brought the smackdown.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Here's your red flag:

You said previously you were not credit cycling, but if you routinely ran up a balance and paid it off before your statement closed, then credit cycling is exactly what you were doing. Were you doing that regularly, and on more than one card? Highly suspicious, a big red flashing "RISK" that screams "Look at me!!!" and IMHO almost certainly what brought the smackdown.
Not sure where you got that from. I got close to the CL on one of the cards one month but that was it. There were a few factors involved but cycling certainly wasnt one of them.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Here's your red flag:

No clue where you are getting that from. How does that imply that he was cycling his CL? I do precisely the same thing. I spent the majority of my balance, and then pay off the balance before the statement closes (I may leave a few dollars at statement close so that I show some utilization). But I've never once cycled my credit.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:24 am

CL cycling involves spending that's higher than the available CL. I have cards with good rewards on certain categories but low CL and I tend to pay those off before the statement is generated so that 50-70% CL utilization on a given account does not get reported to credit agencies and my credit score does not take a temporary hit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.