2017 Shutdown Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 18, 10:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and [email protected])
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and [email protected])
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 17, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Its all YMMV in this game.
That seems to be exactly the case, unless you guys just look suspicious : ) I've been depositing many k's in MO's for the past year in 5 different banks and not a single time was I questioned. In fact, all tellers have been quite nice and some even ask with a smile "would you like to make another deposit.." since they recognize me. So the whole ATM thing makes no sense to me.

I also have to agree with some noting above that it must be the back office who is monitoring activities, unless it's something just very blunt and obvious, which is not what we're talking about. First, there's a possibility of collusion between a teller and a customer, you know, "friends". Then, there are different branches in close proximity, or shifts, allowing a potential criminal to avoid interaction with the same teller. Then it's a question of training. I don't think tellers are trained enough to do proper "analytics", again, unless it's something very obvious. And these are just what quickly comes to my mind. I'm sure there are good reasons why banks would NOT rely on their tellers to be the primary method to identify a fraud. The "back office analytics" makes much more sense, in which case whether you do ATM or a teller makes no difference.
Old Mar 23, 17, 1:15 pm

Just found out this morning my CCs got shutdown by Barclays, which sucks but isn't the end of the world and hopefully isn't permanent. No letter yet but MSing is the most likely suspect.

My stats was approx 10k a month on a 10k< CL with no cycling ever. This went on for about 20 months.
citigold funding and a few buxx loads and some serve load/pay in years ago
3 year old account
No wmbp or MO pays
I did do the refund to cash out arrival points trick

It was a decent ride no complaints except I wish I hit them harder. They let me cash out points after shutdown.
Old Mar 23, 17, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by TopSpin46 View Post
Just found out this morning my CCs got shutdown by Barclays, which sucks but isn't the end of the world and hopefully isn't permanent. No letter yet but MSing is the most likely suspect.

My stats was approx 10k a month on a 10k< CL with no cycling ever. This went on for about 20 months.
3 year old account
No wmbp or MO pays

It was a decent ride no complaints except I wish I hit them harder. They let me cash out points after shutdown.
Were you maxing out your CL every month even just for a day?
Old Mar 23, 17, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by TopSpin46 View Post

3 year old account
No wmbp or MO pays

What cards? Barclays seems to be more sensitive to Arrival cards.
Old Mar 24, 17, 7:27 am

Programs: Several dozen
It seems that the goblins of Gringotts all play closer attention to their cards that effectively pay back in cash.

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
What cards? Barclays seems to be more sensitive to Arrival cards.
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 12HRS View Post
Were you maxing out your CL every month even just for a day?
The only time I was left with 0 available credit was with the citigold fundings over a year ago.

Also, yes this was on an arrival+ card
Old Mar 24, 17, 2:18 pm
Suspended

anyone shut down by DCU.org in the recent sweep?
Old Mar 24, 17, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
It seems that the goblins of Gringotts all play closer attention to their cards that effectively pay back in cash.
Definitely seems so. Citi Double Cash, CapOne QS, Spark, Venture, Barclays A+, Fido 2x, and even Chase UR cards when the UR pts transfer to parties not allowed by the T&Cs. All are currencies that can turn into ready cash or very close to cash.
Old Mar 25, 17, 7:44 am

Banks these days are tight with doling out cash. Times have changed - it is not like the good old days.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11...cleans-up.html

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Definitely seems so. Citi Double Cash, CapOne QS, Spark, Venture, Barclays A+, Fido 2x, and even Chase UR cards when the UR pts transfer to parties not allowed by the T&Cs. All are currencies that can turn into ready cash or very close to cash.
Old Mar 25, 17, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I haven't seen any DPs about Double Cash. What does normally get people shut down, maxing CL continuously, obvious online MS, something else?
Old Mar 25, 17, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoonRadar View Post
I haven't seen any DPs about Double Cash. What does normally get people shut down, maxing CL continuously, obvious online MS, something else?
Go back to 2016 thread and the Citi shut down thread 2016. No definite answers but you can get the general culprits by reading thru what people reported. Plenty of it.

Bottom line, as AlohaDaveKennedy points out, the banks all play closer attention to their cards that effectively pay back in cash. if your preferred vehicles to MS are cash back cards, either you only do it very moderately (thus a waste of time/effort) or else you prepare for the eventual outcome. Banks dont like MS on their own inhouse cards that effectively pay back in cash.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 25, 17 at 6:07 pm
Old Apr 3, 17, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Got the axe from Suntrust today. Personal and biz. Biz ate the MO's. Personal was left over from an account opening bonus last year. At least I made $500 in bonuses off them.
Old Apr 3, 17, 2:41 pm

This is actually a "happy they cancelled card."

Ive used and abused this card many, many times in the past few years.

Got shutdown with a "who cares" card last month. Comenity Total Rewards shut me down for "too many inquiries." The beauty is, I got the card just for the 10,000 points and 2 free buffets. I was going to New Orleans and wanted em. Got card on Monday and $1k spend on Monday @ GC.com. Points showed up on Thursday, and Friday I got shut down. I didn't know it though until I got back and got letter. The buffets worked in New Orleans Harrah's on Sunday.

Eh, got what I wanted and they shut it down for me, easy. Cant wait to apply again in a few months.

Ha
Old Apr 3, 17, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld View Post
Got the axe from Suntrust today. Personal and biz. Biz ate the MO's. Personal was left over from an account opening bonus last year. At least I made $500 in bonuses off them.
You're talking checking? Savings? If you don't mind sharing, what was your MO volume and frequency?
Old Apr 3, 17, 8:02 pm

Were you playing with ST Delta debits or CCs or just recycling paper there?

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld View Post

Search this Thread