Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deker0
This thread is a continuation of the 2016 Serve master thread located at Amex Serve (2016) [Many shutdowns starting Jan 8, 2016]

5/21/2019 another round of Serve and Bluebird shutdowns.

On January 8, 2016, most Serve cards that were being used for MS were closed by Amex due to "unusual activity". Recurring waves of shutdowns have continued.

There are three version of Serve cards, Blue, Green and Grey. The fees and specifics are listed here:
https://www.serve.com/help/?intlink=us-serve-marketing-home-customer2-incomm2018-freezecardlearnmore&anchor=lost-or-stolen-1

The best Serve version for MS purpose is the "Green" version. It can be loaded at CVS, Rite Aid, DG (cash only) and Walmart, FD stores (cash and debit). There is no loading fee, but there is a $6.95 monthly fee that can't be waived. You could avoid the monthly fee by keeping $0 balance prior to month end statement closing. But this may cause account shut-down. As of end of 2020, there have been changes at the loading side (FD, WM). Not all GCs are accepted. Trial and report back to forum.

As of April 16, 2015 regular Serve cards will only accept American Express network cards for online credit card loads.
Softcard Serve accounts are apparently grandfathered in the old system and continue to work as before, being able to load Mastercard, Visa, and Discover (see below).

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Loads at Dollar General - Appears to no longer be working with any brand of VCG.

Regular Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP (Vanilla Reload/Moneypak) or WM/FD load: $2,500 per card per day; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 total each calendar month all Serve cards combined
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
    • Online Credit Card Load (AmEx only) - $200/day and $1,000/month
      • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
        • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
          • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month
You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Softcard Serve
Softcard has shutdown and there is no longer any way to apply for this version.
  • Serve loading via VR/MP (Vanilla Reload/Moneypak) or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
    • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
      • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
        • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
          • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
            • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

OneVip Card: (Mucho gracias, AndrewTheMan)
This card is essentially just like the regular, fee-free, "old" serve. You may reload this card up to $2,500/day; $1,000/transaction at Walmart (not impacted by Blue Bird daily limit change). Have not tested FD or anywhere else. KATE takes this no problems..
You can use this to load the FIDO AMEX up to 1k a month.
Amex stopped taking applications for OneVip at the end of 2017. Cards acquired before then still work.

Limits for online debit card and credit card loads reset at 9 PM PST/12 AM EST

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

A few report no problems loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval. One person with a Serve/Softcard account reported being sent to the main Serve number for this process.

https://www.serve.com/help/#add-money-5

Regular Serve Credit Card Loading

Regular Serve can only load from American Express network cards. In addition to those issued directly by American Express, this includes the following:
  • AAA Rewards AmEx
    • Alitalia AmEx
      • Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx
        • Bank of Hawaii AmEx Card with MyBankoh Rewards
          • Bloomingdale's AmEx
            • Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select AmEx
              • Citi Dividend AmEx (not obtainable unless specifically requested)
                • Citi Thank You Preferred AmEx (not obtainable unless specifically requested)
                  • Dillard's AmEx
                    • FNBO AmEx
                      • FNBO Graphite AmEx
                        • FNBO Platinum AmEx
                          • Macy's AmEx
                            • Penfed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx
                              • SavingStar AmEx
                                • Travelocity AmEx
                                  • US Bank Flexperks AmEx
                                    • USAA Cash Rewards/Rewards Plus AmEx
                                      • Wells Fargo Propel World/365 AmEx

Softcard Serve Credit Card Loading

If you are fortunate enough to be grandfathered into a Softcard Serve Account, you can also load other credit cards beside American Express cards. Softcard Serve is not available to new applicants anymore so you'll need to get one of the other Serve options if you don't already have one. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as purchases. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
    • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
      • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
        • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
          • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
            • Discover
              • Wells Fargo Propel (American Express)
Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express issued (Counts toward minimum spend -- see post #434) but does not earn points. Example: For the Delta Amex card, Serve counts towards min spend DL miles sign-up bonus, but that spend and subsequent trials of spend on Serve will not earn points. Don't do it, man!

Posts as a cash advance: The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

A few report being unable to add the Chase IHG MC.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
    • Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
      • at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
        • get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
          • after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
            • I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
              • CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
                • at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
                  • after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
                    • CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

Switching from Redbird is presumably similar. See the RedCard thread for more information.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
    • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
      • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
        • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
    • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
      • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #7

Print Wikipost

Amex Serve master thread (2017-2023)

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Ryn996
What happens if you get shutdown and you still have money in the account?
In the past, people shut down have been able to spend the money as before. They just can't add money to the account anymore.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
In the past, people shut down have been able to spend the money as before. They just can't add money to the account anymore.
thanks
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:56 pm

Has anyone recently been charged a cash advance fee from a credit card load online? I've loaded from my Capital One card many times before but I was charged a cash advance fee for the first time this month.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If you only load a small mount, say $1,000, a month, do you risk getting shut down? This is not real MS, but mostly for some of the 5x or 5% category spending.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:52 pm

I used to have one VIP Serve card few years back before shutdown. Can I do this now ?> From Wiki - goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!) . So I pay for serve card with cash and then load $500 with CC or GEBIT?
Please explain. Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, chase ultimate rewards, hawaiian
Went today to my local Walmart to load my Amex serve with $1000 with 5 x $200. Went to cashier and was able to load serve with $200 3 times. Then went to another cashier but after that it wont load the rest of 2 cards. The other 2 gift cards were always declined at 3 different locations. Have anyone seen anything like this? Sorry doing this for the first time.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by rukmi86
Went today to my local Walmart to load my Amex serve with $1000 with 5 x $200. Went to cashier and was able to load serve with $200 3 times. Then went to another cashier but after that it wont load the rest of 2 cards. The other 2 gift cards were always declined at 3 different locations. Have anyone seen anything like this? Sorry doing this for the first time.
You may have reached the monthly $10K limit on all accounts combined.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
You may have reached the monthly $10K limit on all accounts combined.
Was loading the card first time after ordering it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jasmians
I used to have one VIP Serve card few years back before shutdown. Can I do this now ?> From Wiki - goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!) . So I pay for serve card with cash and then load $500 with CC or GEBIT?
Please explain. Thanks.
I believe CVS is cash only. You'll need $500 cash.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:27 pm

Was loading the card first time after ordering it.
If this is a temp card, you're limited to $500/day. If it's your permanent card, you might want to read the last page or two of the Walmart thread. Apparently a lot of people are having trouble with split transactions when doing money orders, and there's a good chance it's affecting Serve and Bluebird as well.

Or it could be a fluke.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I believe CVS is cash only. You'll need $500 cash.
I was able to load $500 with CC at CVS this evening. However I'm getting unable to sign up for account message when I try to register my temp card.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by jasmians
I was able to load $500 with CC at CVS this evening. However I'm getting unable to sign up for account message when I try to register my temp card.
You bought a temp card and put $500 with a CC? Or you loaded your permanent card with a CC? This is news.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:35 am

You hit your 4 swipe limit per transaction:

1st swipe: Your serve card
2nd - 4th swipe: your 3 cards.

I didn't think about the initial swipe of the serve card until this same situation happened to me.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:17 pm

does it mean that if i go again today the cards would work and i would be able to load 3 more $200 debit cards?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by skanchur
You bought a temp card and put $500 with a CC? Or you loaded your permanent card with a CC? This is news.
On my temp card I have $500 loaded. I can't register this card to get permanent but it shows me it has balance of $500.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.