FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amex Serve master thread (2017-2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812972-amex-serve-master-thread-2017-2023-a.html)

hurnik Feb 8, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by NYCroots (Post 30753317)
There was one comment about WM not allowing VGC to be used on Serve/BB, and even that user wrote that two out of the three WMs still let him load, but limited him to one swipe.

Huh, I see more than one:

"
Just left my extremely friendly WM and multiple CSRs said they were told by Corp to no longer accept VGC for MO or BB/Serve loads...time to drive up the road and see what they say.Edit: just left another WM and cashier that let me split payment before said all transactions need to be on 1 swipe. Only let me load 500....onto WM #3.Edit#2: WM #3 a no go for splits. Never seen this CSR before. Will swing by friendly WM in the AM before work and see what different CSR says."

and

"The three extremely MS friendly WM in my area also started cracking down GCs. WM1 last fall, then WMN December, then WM2 last week. Even my best buddy at WMN wouldn’t do it. Loading prepaid cards at cashier lanes without asking to split still works, but that just slows things down by 5000%. "

and

"Also went to WM today in SE michigan and got the same message. 1 swipe only and no GCs "

and
" I had the same issue at a local one tonight I’ve been using quite a bit. None of my friendly CSRs were there and it was all yellow vests at the money center. One asked to see the card and I showed it and he said they cannot do those anymore. "

RedSun Feb 8, 2019 4:03 pm

When you do split or multiple swipes, you are telling WM that you are using GC, not bank debit card.... MSing is to lay low, low and lower.... What else do I need to day?

fishfly Feb 8, 2019 5:15 pm

"I'd like to lad $xxxx to Serve. I need so split by $xxx."

Straightforward. The two WM are pretty chill and know I'm using a debit.

RedSun Feb 9, 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by fishfly (Post 30755764)
"I'd like to lad $xxxx to Serve. I need so split by $xxx."

Straightforward. The two WM are pretty chill and know I'm using a debit.

Whatever you do. YMMV. WM employees are not highly trained and well paid. Some are not confident with anything beyond basis stuff. You never want to get attention of the CSM or yellow jacket. If yellow jackets see something they do not like, they can make rules and make that WM not MS friendly. This is how WMs are shut down more and more. Some are entirely due to the foolishness of the MSers.

But keep doing whatever you feel comfortable. Good luck to all.

FrankMS Feb 9, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30751480)
There's a rash of reports in the last 24 hours on reddit of various WM no longer allowing VGC loading of Serve. I'll have to tempt fate tomorrow and see what happens.

It's not hard coded, but it's true. Some strict WM's ask to see the card you're loading with.

RedSun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS (Post 30759049)
It's not hard coded, but it's true. Some strict WM's ask to see the card you're loading with.

Nothing new with this. A lot WMs are doing this. And I expect more will do it. Some people definitely will push to get to the end sooner. We'll see.

GlasedDonut Feb 11, 2019 7:07 am

Just got into the Serve game, and I'm seeing a ton of conflicting information about the best way to liquidate to avoid shutdown (thankfully I've had 0 problems loading so far). Still ramping up as I test out different gift cards and locations so my numbers are small, but currently just doing Bill Pay to my auto loan and the CC I'm hitting MSR on. I'm not using it for category spend...yet. Are there any patterns or things I should avoid to stay under the radar?

RedSun Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by GlasedDonut (Post 30764212)
Just got into the Serve game, and I'm seeing a ton of conflicting information about the best way to liquidate to avoid shutdown (thankfully I've had 0 problems loading so far). Still ramping up as I test out different gift cards and locations so my numbers are small, but currently just doing Bill Pay to my auto loan and the CC I'm hitting MSR on. I'm not using it for category spend...yet. Are there any patterns or things I should avoid to stay under the radar?

Keep doing whatever is working. Do not be tempted to be greedy.

bookemdano Feb 12, 2019 10:58 am

Apologies if I missed discussion of this--looked back a few pages and didn't see it. But I remember back in 2017 there was an announcement that AMEX was selling Serve, BB, etc. to Incomm and speculation that there might be a possibility that those of us who were shut down could regain access (either on existing shut-down accounts we never closed or by signing up for a new card with the same SSN).

The sale was expected to close in 2018. Found an article from last April saying the sale went through.

But here we are in 2019 and I'm not sure what, if anything, changed. Obviously the Serve and BB products appear to still be around, people are using them, etc. But did anyone who was banned get unbanned in the process? I guess my hunch says no or I'd be finding reports saying as much. But figured I would ask anyway to satisfy my curiosity.

stanle Feb 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Just got the PenFed Pathfinder AMEX. Any data points on if loading it to Serve online will count toward minimum spend? This worked with Propel World from WFargo.
Also, can I add 1000 in a month from Propel, then switch cards and add 1000 more in the same month from PenFed Pathfinder?
Thanks.

gregorius Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by stanle (Post 30779977)
Just got the PenFed Pathfinder AMEX. Any data points on if loading it to Serve online will count toward minimum spend? This worked with Propel World from WFargo.
Also, can I add 1000 in a month from Propel, then switch cards and add 1000 more in the same month from PenFed Pathfinder?
Thanks.

Testing the PenFed scenario now (I have successfully done it with WF and FNBO), but I wouldn't recommend waiting for me to report back - the banner on serve.com claims they're discontinuing AmEx CC loads after 3/31.

In the past you were limited to $1000 in CC loads per Serve card, not per SSN, so you could switch mid-month. IIRC you were indeed limited to the $1000/Serve

Edit: the sky might not be falling: AmEx CCs won't be available as a backup funding source, and I'm not sure if they'll be available for adding funds normally.

radonc1 Feb 26, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bookemdano (Post 30769554)
Apologies if I missed discussion of this--looked back a few pages and didn't see it. But I remember back in 2017 there was an announcement that AMEX was selling Serve, BB, etc. to Incomm and speculation that there might be a possibility that those of us who were shut down could regain access (either on existing shut-down accounts we never closed or by signing up for a new card with the same SSN).

The sale was expected to close in 2018. Found an article from last April saying the sale went through.

But here we are in 2019 and I'm not sure what, if anything, changed. Obviously the Serve and BB products appear to still be around, people are using them, etc. But did anyone who was banned get unbanned in the process? I guess my hunch says no or I'd be finding reports saying as much. But figured I would ask anyway to satisfy my curiosity.

If you were part of the great massacree or otherwise tossed from either program, why don't you try and sign up? (It's easy to do on-line). And let us know your outcome. It would be appreciated. ;)

Semper0369 Feb 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Anyone know what US Bank Rewards Cards online purchases coded as for amex and chase?

Darksun Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 30823812)
If you were part of the great massacree or otherwise tossed from either program, why don't you try and sign up? (It's easy to do on-line). And let us know your outcome. It would be appreciated. ;)

I try opening an account online every once in awhile. Last attempt was about a month ago and still no dice.

radonc1 Feb 27, 2019 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Darksun (Post 30826077)
I try opening an account online every once in awhile. Last attempt was about a month ago and still no dice.

I have had the same results as you.
Perhaps Amex is biblical in function in that we have to wait 7 years for reinstatement :o