Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by tuphat
Some Simon properties participate in the "Simon Insiders" program, which usually provides reserved parking. I know of at least one property where GC purchases at the service desk will get you a reserved parking hangtag for a month, if you ask nicely.
The Las Vegas North Premium Outlets now charges for parking, so I stopped going there. However, I ran into one of the CSR's (I think he's now a low-level manager) at LV South, and told him, and he said I could valet park for free at North. However, I haven't taken him up on it because since that happened, I've been staying at a different hotel which is much closer to South. I go to Vegas enough, and go buy GC's almost every day I'm there, so that they know me.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
deleted
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:18 pm

I ordered SMVGCs last week and the payment was approved 12/4, and it still hasn't shipped. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
If we were playing the system legitimately, you would be correct. Spending $15K on an Amex card for real spend should bring Amex swipe revenue and merchant fees that are far more than the cost of a level 1-4 room. But we aren't playing according to their playbook. I suspect (but have absolutely no knowledge of) that Amex gets almost nothing from a merchant for their selling a GC. So revenue is short-changed in that situation and they wind up losing money. Thus the need to track your spend. And how hard is it to track SMVGC purchases??

With the above being said, once programed and coded into the system, I imagine it costs them nothing to follow your spend and allot it to the appropriate bucket. If they say that bucket "a" qualifies for a free room night and bucket "b" doesn't, how much is Amex spending to categorize the bills to the appropriate bucket and report out the results?
UA does that routinely for every elite member as they climb the status ladder using both EQM's and EQD's and the earning algorithm is much more complex than Amex
Last time I stayed on a free night reward the hotel gave me an invoice by mistake and the room rate charged (internal invoice) was $40, which in the big scheme of things is not that much for Amex. But like you said, the swipe revenue on that 15K still might not be that much to pay for the room.

That said, I wonder if 40K swipe revenue offsets those extra points/Diamond status.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by tsmith12
That said, I wonder if 40K swipe revenue offsets those extra points/Diamond status.
I honestly don't think that Amex cares about Hilton awarding you Diamond status. It doesn't cost Amex a thing for Hilton to give you status. And Hilton must think that if you are spending $40K on their card (besides paying an annual fee), that the benefits you obtain such as a free breakfast and a possible room upgrade are more than compensated by the additional business you generate by staying at one of their lodgings over the year.
And remember that much of the time I am staying at Hampton's and their ilk which give me absolutely no real benefit over a non-member guest in benefits received (other than points and a "thank you" for being an elite .)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonicsmash214
I ordered SMVGCs last week and the payment was approved 12/4, and it still hasn't shipped. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Have you called GCM to check on when would be the shipment scheduled? Usually the shipment is 2 days after the payment is approved. Is your card billed yet? i.e. posted the transaction yet?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sonicsmash214
They normally ship fast. I usually have orders within 5 business days. Maybe they’ve gotten slower since they increased shipping costs (sarcasm).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:27 pm

I had an order ship yesterday from 12/7 - maybe it's hung up in a back end approval cycle?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:59 pm

It finally shipped today. Hopefully it comes on or before Saturday as I am leaving for a trip.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clueless12
They normally ship fast. I usually have orders within 5 business days. Maybe they’ve gotten slower since they increased shipping costs (sarcasm).
Yes, it usually takes 4 to 8 calendar days from order to receive shipment. The longer time often is caused by local post office than GCM.

To be fair, the shipping cost now is the real cost because the packages I received in the past have had postage of $3.50 to $3.75 for 6 cards shipped in a padded manila envelope yet they charged 0.49. Therefore the shipping cost charged now really is the real cost. Though for 4 cards the shipping shown is only $0.89 - guess it would be shipped by regular size envelope.

The slow is due to the holiday season. I have not received a confirmation email (the one claims your order is received) of the order for over an hour. When I called them the automatic phone gave the message about shipment delays due to busy holiday season. Rep found the order and said it was approved. She offered to send me the email which came while we were on the phone - this is the one for approval. Some 30 min later another Approved email came and I suspect this is generated by the system.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I honestly don't think that Amex cares about Hilton awarding you Diamond status. It doesn't cost Amex a thing for Hilton to give you status. And Hilton must think that if you are spending $40K on their card (besides paying an annual fee), that the benefits you obtain such as a free breakfast and a possible room upgrade are more than compensated by the additional business you generate by staying at one of their lodgings over the year.
And remember that much of the time I am staying at Hampton's and their ilk which give me absolutely no real benefit over a non-member guest in benefits received (other than points and a "thank you" for being an elite .)
Well, you do get a reserved parking spot!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Well, you do get a reserved parking spot!
Not to mention made-to-order square egg patties, a Hampton Inn exclusive!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes, it usually takes 4 to 8 calendar days from order to receive shipment. The longer time often is caused by local post office than GCM.

To be fair, the shipping cost now is the real cost because the packages I received in the past have had postage of $3.50 to $3.75 for 6 cards shipped in a padded manila envelope yet they charged 0.49. Therefore the shipping cost charged now really is the real cost. Though for 4 cards the shipping shown is only $0.89 - guess it would be shipped by regular size envelope.

The slow is due to the holiday season. I have not received a confirmation email (the one claims your order is received) of the order for over an hour. When I called them the automatic phone gave the message about shipment delays due to busy holiday season. Rep found the order and said it was approved. She offered to send me the email which came while we were on the phone - this is the one for approval. Some 30 min later another Approved email came and I suspect this is generated by the system.
They definitely were losing on the shipping. I’m surprised it went as long as it did.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:50 pm

Simon Mall $1 off VGC in $400-$500 denomination til Dec 24

Just left simon mall in Orange County and was told all VGC will be $1 off if purchased in 400-500 denominations until december 24!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by krwrocks
Just left simon mall in Orange County and was told all VGC will be $1 off if purchased in 400-500 denominations until december 24!
did u not know about that before??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.