Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jasmians
I try to use simon mall with my card and it keeps saying "Payment Error:Close.
Sounds like Citi.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
RIP $2.95 purchase fee - we hardly knew 'ye.

Hopefully it'll make another cameo appearance.

On the payment thing, was this online? I've gotten that online at times. It does usually mean you're banned, but not necessarily for life. I was able to come back later and buy cards online.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:02 pm

I went to my local Simon today and noticed posters for MasterCard debits and actual MCs hanging on the gift card rack. I inquired if they were switching to MCs from Visas and the rep said she hadn't heard anything of the sort.

To be fair, there were plenty of Visas available including "new" holiday-themed Visa cards.

Just thought I would flag for now.

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
I went to my local Simon today and noticed posters for MasterCard debits and actual MCs hanging on the gift card rack. I inquired if they were switching to MCs from Visas and the rep said she hadn't heard anything of the sort.

To be fair, there were plenty of Visas available including "new" holiday-themed Visa cards.

Just thought I would flag for now.

I've seen them as well. IMO these Christmas gift card versions look suspiciously like Gift Cards to me, and not a real DC compared to the Simon Youth Fund or Susan Komen cards which I feel look more like a legitimate DC. I'd buy them to gift to someone, but I'm not gonna take them to WM or S&S where I've been spot checked in the past.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

Has anybody every purchased Simon GC at the mall? Last month, I bought $2k worth of Simon GC at the mall with CIP and the charge shows up on my statement as "Name of the mall 1037." That's it. There's nothing on the statement that would indicate this was a gift card purchase. I was thinking of buying GC to meet minimum spending on Amex Plat. Would this work?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jarin1
Has anybody every purchased Simon GC at the mall?
Did you really just ask that after seeing the posts just above yours? What do you think we were doing at a Simon Mall if we are posting about it in an MS thread?

I was thinking of buying GC to meet minimum spending on Amex Plat. Would this work?
You need to do more reading mate. Simon is a no go for meeting most Amex minimum spends and bonuses.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:16 pm

I thought RAT team only looked for statement with SIMON GIFT CARD or anything with the word gift card on it. I asked because my grocery doesn't report L3 data to Amex and I met MSR on my other Amex card just fine. So, I thought if my Simon mall did not report L3 data to Amex, maybe I can get away with it meeting MSR.

So, are you saying that any GC purchase to meet minimum spending is a no-no or only at places that report L3 data to Amex? Does Simon GC at the mall report L3 data to Amex? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Anyone else get 2.95 VGCs today? Don't know why,but that's what mine rang up. 19 x 500
MaxVO likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by mile ho
Anyone else get 2.95 VGCs today? Don't know why,but that's what mine rang up. 19 x 500
​​​​​​​Was it at Allen premium outlet?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

So, are you saying that any GC purchase to meet minimum spending is a no-no or only at places that report L3 data to Amex? Does Simon GC at the mall report L3 data to Amex? Thanks.

It doesn't count towards MSR and I don't know how they know but I tried and didnt get my bonus
Jarin1 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by fromfall98
​​​​​​​Was it at Allen premium outlet?
It was at NE mall in Hurst, Texas
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:35 pm

Was told by friendly Simon rep that beginning 12/10, Visas will again be $1 off. I forget how long the promo lasts for but believe it is for two weeks.
ChrisFlyer66 and Zgirl like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:48 pm

Was told by friendly Simon rep that beginning 12/10, Visas will again be $1 off. I forget how long the promo lasts for but believe it is for two weeks.
Dec 10th-24th so 15 days.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I've also heard it will be 12/10 to 12/24
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by pao2dapao
It doesn't count towards MSR and I don't know how they know but I tried and didnt get my bonus
They've actually done a pretty good job - it will get base points for the most part - but it won't count toward diamond on Hilton, or Delta MQMs or whatever they're called, or bonus spend. There's a whole list of things that are soft-coded on one side but not the other. Hopefully the other shoe doesn't drop.

2.95 Simon almost motivates me to head to a mall during Christmas time. Almost...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.