Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
Does it matter if you can't MS them?
I heard that you can MS them and I think people divert from the truth on that one.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
I heard that you can MS them and I think people divert from the truth on that one.
I signed up last year, and there was no $1k VGC, only AGC.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hi55us
Looking to hit the Delta MQD Waiver, guessing the spend at Simon won't count. Anyone have any luck? Probably going to go with Giftcard Mall now that the portals are live.
DPs say simon is a major ymmv for welcome spend
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by hi55us
Looking to hit the Delta MQD Waiver, guessing the spend at Simon won't count. Anyone have any luck? Probably going to go with Giftcard Mall now that the portals are live.
Simon spend counts towards the thresholds on DL Reserve and Plat but not the MQD waiver.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Originally Posted by asot550
Does it matter if you can't MS them?
Why do you say you can't MS those $1,000 cards? What is the problem with buying/ liquidating via a credit card? We have owned a business for 35 years and have a Simon Mall opening in our hometown this upcoming Thursday. I am so excited to be able to stop in and buy cards, and I am hoping to build a rapport with customer service. I was going to register our business to get the $1,000 cards. Think of how much easier those would be to get money orders with just one swipe!

I have been buying online for a long time, about two years, and it's been easy for me to buy the Simon Mall VGC's. My problem is always the various employees at Walmart who are some power trips and make up their own rules. I went to the same one for years and suddenly a young woman tells me two days ago that I can only swipe two cards and need to make up the rest of the money order in cash.

I had another older woman (Adrienne) tell me at another Walmart that my husband and I can only get one money order between us. I told the woman to write down the policy and give it to me next time I come in because I am tired of her telling me that. I know everyone here says to move on, if one store doesn't cooperate. The thing with her is, she is the only one in the store that frowns upon this hobby. She was going to go and search for a manager to make sure I know the policy. I just walked out. Now that Walmart has been allowing each of us to buy two money orders for $999.12 each, but Adrienne tends to not even be there.. That is an amazing change..

I live in a suburb north of Denver, very close to a few more rural Walmart locations. But altogether, within 15 miles of my house, we have at least 8 Walmart locations to spread our gift cards around.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
Why do you say you can't MS those $1,000 cards? What is the problem with buying/ liquidating via a credit card? We have owned a business for 35 years and have a Simon Mall opening in our hometown this upcoming Thursday. I am so excited to be able to stop in and buy cards, and I am hoping to build a rapport with customer service. I was going to register our business to get the $1,000 cards. Think of how much easier those would be to get money orders with just one swipe!
It has been discussed in the past (bloggers even tried) that Sim0n is watching how those $1K corporate GCs are spent. Many with a real business and "business" registered and drained $1K in one swipe, but it didn't take long before they got shut down. If it was THAT easy to use a real business as a front to buy $1K VGCs even if Sim raised the fees on these, I am sure many would've done this. If policies have changed recently, good luck and more power to your MS activities.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
Why do you say you can't MS those $1,000 cards?
Have you read the entire thread?

If you have not, I suggest you do.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:03 am

this v v
Originally Posted by Mamibear
It has been discussed in the past (bloggers even tried) that Sim0n is watching how those $1K corporate GCs are spent. Many with a real business and "business" registered and drained $1K in one swipe, but it didn't take long before they got shut down. If it was THAT easy to use a real business as a front to buy $1K VGCs even if Sim raised the fees on these, I am sure many would've done this. If policies have changed recently, good luck and more power to your MS activities.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:21 pm

Hello all. I've been going to Simon for years. There is only one other local whale that I have ran into on occasion. He is running a lot of $1000 VGCs. A friendly cashier at WM told me this, but I didn't really believe her. I saw him in front of me at WM finally, and sure enough he was doing $1k per swipe. I have chatted with him once about the game when our paths crossed at Simon, but I considered it poor form to ask him directly about the $1ks. In interest of doing my own research, I read this entire thread and the consensus seems to be that $1k VGCs through a corporate account are on lockdown, assuming you can even get approved in the first place. Am I correct in thinking his $1ks are through Simon corporate? Do other $1ks even exist? How is he circumventing the no MS on corporate $1ks rule?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous99
Hello all. I've been going to Simon for years. There is only one other local whale that I have ran into on occasion. He is running a lot of $1000 VGCs. A friendly cashier at WM told me this, but I didn't really believe her. I saw him in front of me at WM finally, and sure enough he was doing $1k per swipe. I have chatted with him once about the game when our paths crossed at Simon, but I considered it poor form to ask him directly about the $1ks. In interest of doing my own research, I read this entire thread and the consensus seems to be that $1k VGCs through a corporate account are on lockdown, assuming you can even get approved in the first place. Am I correct in thinking his $1ks are through Simon corporate? Do other $1ks even exist? How is he circumventing the no MS on corporate $1ks rule?
Anything is possible but from slack app discussions I've read those who have recently tried have been shutdown a month or so after getting approved for a corporate account. These were MSers who drained the $1K GCs in one swipe and obviously Sim0n didn't like it. I'm just wondering how come they are well aware of "gamer's activities" and how those $500s are drained and have tolerated this, but when it comes to corporate VGCs, they are non tolerant of "abuse"?
Travelz and anonymous99 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous99
Do other $1ks even exist?
Some banks offer 1Ks to business customers is what I have learned.
anonymous99 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
It's pretty well established that Simon doesn't allow corporate accounts for MSers. Many people, myself included, have gotten corporate accounts and had them closed in short order. I have a legitimate business, it's in Dun and Bradstreet and has been open for 25 years. But they only allow those for actual corporate purposes, say like giving them to employees as a Thanksgiving or Christmas bonus, or to customers. No one has reported being shut down for personal cards after having the corporate account shut down.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's so much nicer doing business with SM, since their policies are consistent, the CSR's are very well trained in friendliness, and the whole operation is MS-friendly. Compared to a certain other unnamed business who might as well change their name to "YMMV."
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Anything is possible but from slack app discussions I've read those who have recently tried have been shutdown a month or so after getting approved for a corporate account. These were MSers who drained the $1K GCs in one swipe and obviously Sim0n didn't like it. I'm just wondering how come they are well aware of "gamer's activities" and how those $500s are drained and have tolerated this, but when it comes to corporate VGCs, they are non tolerant of "abuse"?
It could be due to compliance requirement from the AML laws. That is why you always write down personal use on the form that Simon requires.
Most likely if a "corporation" purchases GCs then immediately drain it into cash-like form would change the business nature of the "corporation" by the virtual action, to some businesses that are subject to more regulation. And the supplier of the gift card, in this case, Simon Mall, is required to "know" their corporate customers of their businesses before they approve such accounts.
It is really no different in essence why Chase does not let you deposit cash to other people's accounts but your own, with ID proof. Just an example. All these are to satisfy the AML law requirements on compliance.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:17 pm

starting Oct 1- Oct 31 the fee for 500.00 vgc is 2.95. Will this be true for mail orders?. Dont have Simon near me and have been buying via mail. Guess Ill find out tomorow.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UR, Hilton, AA, Delta, SPG/Marriott
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
starting Oct 1- Oct 31 the fee for 500.00 vgc is 2.95. Will this be true for mail orders?. Dont have Simon near me and have been buying via mail. Guess Ill find out tomorow.
Just tried this morning and it's coming up at the standard pricing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.