Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Domat
Looks like Simon mall GC no longer work for minimum spend.
I have not encountered that with my AMEX plat card, or HH Amex card.

However, if this is new event, I will discover it this month when my statements post.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I didn't say it was your experience, I said it has was MY experience. Obviously it's another YMMV situation. A lot of people over on r/churning are reporting delays with their MR bonus points posting lately, and just like your own claims others report getting them much faster.
This is true in my case as well... My Wife's account post bonus within a week while posting to my account takes a couple of months.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:27 pm

SIMON MALL SHUTTING DOWN 5B VGC. Well not completely shutting it down, they are decreasing the maximum value per card from $500 down to $200. The lady at my local Simon Mall showed me the email corporate sent out to their employee's. Simon employee's are instructed to sell $500 5B VCG's until Oct 31, 2017. Afterwards, they are only allowed to sell 5B VGC's with a maximum value of $200

Sucks... 5% back on $200 after fees is almost pointless.. Does anyone else have a new play they'd like to share?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Cajun187
SIMON MALL SHUTTING DOWN 5B VGC. Well not completely shutting it down, they are decreasing the maximum value per card from $500 down to $200. The lady at my local Simon Mall showed me the email corporate sent out to their employee's. Simon employee's are instructed to sell $500 5B VCG's until Oct 31, 2017. Afterwards, they are only allowed to sell 5B VGC's with a maximum value of $200

Sucks... 5% back on $200 after fees is almost pointless.. Does anyone else have a new play they'd like to share?
Why would you care for that change, if you wouldn't have some play??
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Cajun187

What are 5backs good for these days?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Zgirl
What are 5backs good for these days?
Absolutely nothing
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like Simon mall GC no longer work for minimum spend.
I'm not sure if this is true but had a troubling conversation with an AMEX CSR via chat.

Met my spend 3-4 weeks ago on my Delta Biz Plat with $5k of SM VGCs plus about $700 of "normal" spend (including a Delta purchase that DID trigger the $100 credit).

When I asked the CSR if I had met the spend requirement, he stated that I needed to spend about $4300 more, which seems to indicate the Simon Mall purchase was not being counted toward eligible spend.

When I pressed him and said I saw about $6k spend from my side, he confirmed he saw the spend, that it earned miles for the purchase, and to wait a little longer for the bonus to post.

I don't believe him...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mann1mal
I'm not sure if this is true but had a troubling conversation with an AMEX CSR via chat.

Met my spend 3-4 weeks ago on my Delta Biz Plat with $5k of SM VGCs plus about $700 of "normal" spend (including a Delta purchase that DID trigger the $100 credit).

When I asked the CSR if I had met the spend requirement, he stated that I needed to spend about $4300 more, which seems to indicate the Simon Mall purchase was not being counted toward eligible spend.

When I pressed him and said I saw about $6k spend from my side, he confirmed he saw the spend, that it earned miles for the purchase, and to wait a little longer for the bonus to post.

I don't believe him...
If the points post on your next statement, then the spend will count. Right now just sit and wait. In the past, the only time AMEX spend didn't count was when purchasing Amex gift cards unless that has changed
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
If the points post on your next statement, then the spend will count. Right now just sit and wait. In the past, the only time AMEX spend didn't count was when purchasing Amex gift cards unless that has changed
Will do, but the 5600k SM already posted (Aug 26th) for the spend.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:32 am

Will do, but the 5600k SM already posted (Aug 26th) for the spend.
I totally understand your concern but the terms for the bonus do say it can take 8-12 weeks. There are several people not receiving their bonuses at the moment but nobody has any idea whether its related to their msr pattern.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:04 am

I don't believe him...
Things may change but Amex bonuses normally posts as soon as the spend is done. No waiting for statement.

Last month i did 6k at Simons and nothing. Did 5k at supermarket and 2 days later I received my points.

It may be that you will still get it for Simons purchase eventually but f you are close to your 90 days I would just do more at other locations.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900
I totally understand your concern but the terms for the bonus do say it can take 8-12 weeks. There are several people not receiving their bonuses at the moment but nobody has any idea whether its related to their msr pattern.
Yeah, I am hoping it's just a system-wide slowdown of bonuses being issued, or something of the sort. I hand't seen reports of others without Simon Mall spend not receiving bonuses which is why I was concerned.

Things may change but Amex bonuses normally posts as soon as the spend is done. No waiting for statement.

Last month i did 6k at Simons and nothing. Did 5k at supermarket and 2 days later I received my points.

It may be that you will still get it for Simons purchase eventually but f you are close to your 90 days I would just do more at other locations.
Yeah, I've gotten 3 bonuses on SkyMiles card in the past 3 years, all three have posted in less than a week after meeting MSR. I'll probably take on some additional spend just to be safe.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe him...
This is exactly the same type of conversation I posted about last week (for amex plat bonus)..
My amex bonuses always posted within a couple days of spend (most rrecently a couple months ago with Hilton amex)..

The fact that they even have some parallel tracker that identifies gc (at least simon) even though regular spend posts as usual is rather troubling...

according to tracker I am at 4100 spend when incl. 1k smgc it should be 5100...

perhaps this will go to manual review and still get approved but either way this is a new development...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, I am hoping it's just a system-wide slowdown of bonuses being issued, or something of the sort. I hand't seen reports of others without Simon Mall spend not receiving bonuses which is why I was concerned.

Yeah, I've gotten 3 bonuses on SkyMiles card in the past 3 years, all three have posted in less than a week after meeting MSR. I'll probably take on some additional spend just to be safe.
Wonder if this will also affect the $25,000/$50,000 and $30,000/$60,000 MQM boosts on the respective Delta-branded Amex cards...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Jarrett
Wonder if this will also affect the $25,000/$50,000 and $30,000/$60,000 MQM boosts on the respective Delta-branded Amex cards...
Yep, another big concern of mine as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.