Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Travelz
Wiki Link
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.


10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 4, 18, 12:49 pm
  #901  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Posts: 678
Stopped into the SFO outlets just now. Bought 1 $500 vgc and got the $20 Amex for free, no issue. CSR knew why I was there lol. Filled out her clipboard tracker for the promo, no more than 1 per person per day. Iíll be back tomorrow. At this rate, Iíll pay for a few months worth of MS. I can dump the AX GC at a local grocer for MO or a gift card for discounted gas.

Posted by the customer service desk at SFO OUTLET


Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
so ur in the SFO area or SMF?.
SFO area is where I work, but live near and fly out of SMF. Funny how that works huh?
jtav559 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 3:41 pm
  #902  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
Stopped into the SFO outlets just now. Bought 1 $500 vgc and got the $20 Amex for free, no issue. CSR knew why I was there lol. Filled out her clipboard tracker for the promo, no more than 1 per person per day. I’ll be back tomorrow. At this rate, I’ll pay for a few months worth of MS. I can dump the AX GC at a local grocer for MO or a gift card for discounted gas.

SFO area is where I work, but live near and fly out of SMF. Funny how that works huh?
nice! appreciate the DP. looks like im gonna head over to Livermore too. 20 AGC is ridic. u must be racking up the miles for constant SMF to bay area. explains ur AA 2MM. but that place needs to change its name. no where close to SF. should be called Livermore Premium Outlets. i guess not as catchy.
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 3:50 pm
  #903  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
nice! appreciate the DP. looks like im gonna head over to Livermore too. 20 AGC is ridic. u must be racking up the miles for constant SMF to bay area. explains ur AA 2MM. but that place needs to change its name. no where close to SF. should be called Livermore Premium Outlets. i guess not as catchy.
Well some group runs dozens of tour buses every day from SJC and SFO over to these outlets for Asian shoppers. I can count on 1 hand how many times I have gone and there have not been foreign shoppers there. The customer service desk even runs promos for Asian based credit cards. It is BIG business for this outlet.
jtav559 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:26 pm
  #904  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Northeastern United States
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
Well some group runs dozens of tour buses every day from SJC and SFO over to these outlets for Asian shoppers. I can count on 1 hand how many times I have gone and there have not been foreign shoppers there. The customer service desk even runs promos for Asian based credit cards. It is BIG business for this outlet.
They do the same thing just outside of the Boston Area for Simon's Wrentham Outlets. The CSRs joke about having the next Crazy Rich Asians movie filmed there, because there's always some kind of drama going on there about specials, late buses, not enough seats at the food court, etc.
Prometheus77 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:20 am
  #905  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Two years ago, I almost .. almost got them to put in VIP parking for MSers to roll in front to get in.. the area VP wouldn't do it though. The manager should have just not asked permission. I've heard of some allowing free valet for MSers.
horseymen is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:56 am
  #906  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 54
My local simon has reserved parking for gift card customers adjacent to the office entrance. They'll actually send security down if I mention that someone is parked there. I used to joke with them when I noticed cars there but I stopped because I didn't feel like being a narc. I do appreciate the parking spot, though.
Tectomoc is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:55 am
  #907  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by Tectomoc View Post
My local simon has reserved parking for gift card customers adjacent to the office entrance. They'll actually send security down if I mention that someone is parked there. I used to joke with them when I noticed cars there but I stopped because I didn't feel like being a narc. I do appreciate the parking spot, though.
Some Simon properties participate in the "Simon Insiders" program, which usually provides reserved parking. I know of at least one property where GC purchases at the service desk will get you a reserved parking hangtag for a month, if you ask nicely.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
tuphat is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:18 pm
  #908  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA PLAT; UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,810
Originally Posted by horseymen View Post
It's actually done on the AMEX side. AMEX will send to Hilton, Delta and the others if you've earned the status, and then Hilton, Delta and the other will bequeath that status. It's managed at the AMEX end. Keep using spend that is not disqualified for the bonuses, and you should be good.
Is this true for the Ascend spend $15K/Year and get free night. I purchased $5k at Simon...the counter tool on amex site did not go up $5K.
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:01 pm
  #909  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
Is this true for the Ascend spend $15K/Year and get free night. I purchased $5k at Simon...the counter tool on amex site did not go up $5K.
Yep - you'll get your points but you won't get movement on the meters..
horseymen is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:53 am
  #910  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by horseymen View Post
Yep - you'll get your points but you won't get movement on the meters..


I don't know why Simon/GC spend still counts towards 40K/year meter but not $15k/free night. Weird!
tsmith12 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:30 am
  #911  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,650
Originally Posted by tsmith12 View Post
I don't know why Simon/GC spend still counts towards 40K/year meter but not $15k/free night. Weird!
I think the reason is that awarding status has no financial effect on Amex. They just tell Hilton or whomever that Mr. Tssmith has reached the $x spend and qualifies for status level. That is a whole different kettle of fish than having to pay Hilton the cost of a free room (level 1-4 only, please ).

I suspect that they may also think that they are already giving you the equivalent of a free room by the points that you are "scamming" by being an MSer and that you don't need further rewards for your "bad" behavior :
radonc1 is online now  
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:42 am
  #912  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I think the reason is that awarding status has no financial effect on Amex. They just tell Hilton or whomever that Mr. Tssmith has reached the $x spend and qualifies for status level. That is a whole different kettle of fish than having to pay Hilton the cost of a free room (level 1-4 only, please ).

I suspect that they may also think that they are already giving you the equivalent of a free room by the points that you are "scamming" by being an MSer and that you don't need further rewards for your "bad" behavior :
That's a good theory. Wonder how much AMEX has to shell out for the extra night after it gets earned?
horseymen is offline  
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:30 am
  #913  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,567
Simon is generally not a good place for HH
Chelski is offline  
Old Dec 8, 18, 12:20 pm
  #914  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I think the reason is that awarding status has no financial effect on Amex. They just tell Hilton or whomever that Mr. Tssmith has reached the $x spend and qualifies for status level. That is a whole different kettle of fish than having to pay Hilton the cost of a free room (level 1-4 only, please ).

I suspect that they may also think that they are already giving you the equivalent of a free room by the points that you are "scamming" by being an MSer and that you don't need further rewards for your "bad" behavior :
Haha, the free room (especially 1-4) can't cost them that much to separate 15k spend from 40k. I barely had any spend on the 15k meter this year even though I qualified for Diamond.
tsmith12 is offline  
Old Dec 8, 18, 3:11 pm
  #915  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,650
Originally Posted by tsmith12 View Post
Haha, the free room (especially 1-4) can't cost them that much to separate 15k spend from 40k. I barely had any spend on the 15k meter this year even though I qualified for Diamond.
If we were playing the system legitimately, you would be correct. Spending $15K on an Amex card for real spend should bring Amex swipe revenue and merchant fees that are far more than the cost of a level 1-4 room. But we aren't playing according to their playbook. I suspect (but have absolutely no knowledge of) that Amex gets almost nothing from a merchant for their selling a GC. So revenue is short-changed in that situation and they wind up losing money. Thus the need to track your spend. And how hard is it to track SMVGC purchases??

With the above being said, once programed and coded into the system, I imagine it costs them nothing to follow your spend and allot it to the appropriate bucket. If they say that bucket "a" qualifies for a free room night and bucket "b" doesn't, how much is Amex spending to categorize the bills to the appropriate bucket and report out the results?
UA does that routinely for every elite member as they climb the status ladder using both EQM's and EQD's and the earning algorithm is much more complex than Amex
radonc1 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: