Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Travelz
Wiki Link
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.


10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 29, 18, 9:35 am
  #886  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,837
Originally Posted by horseymen View Post
They've actually done a pretty good job - it will get base points for the most part - but it won't count toward diamond on Hilton, or Delta MQMs or whatever they're called, or bonus spend.
..
So I am a bit confused.
I can understand how Amex can control the awarding bonus points based on a Hilton card spend since it is Amex that is giving the bonus but what I cannot understand is how Amex controls whether Hilton awards status for spend
Amex does control money distribution so it makes sense that they could say yea or nay to your spending categories to qualify for the bonus awards.

However, Hilton makes the determination as to whether $40K spend a year on a specific Hilton branded Amex card makes you an elite. Amex has nothing to do with that. All Amex does is report to Hilton that you spent "X" dollars a month using that Hilton card.

So I can't see how Amex would affect the awarding of status based on spend. Rather, it would be Hilton's responsibility to use the break-out of spending categories to make that determination. To date, the only break-out for my Hilton card has been for stays at a Hilton property.

Needless to say, Hilton has given me my points and status for my Amex Hilton spend without any deductions (at least for this year )
radonc1 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:28 am
  #887  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
So I am a bit confused.
I can understand how Amex can control the awarding bonus points based on a Hilton card spend since it is Amex that is giving the bonus but what I cannot understand is how Amex controls whether Hilton awards status for spend
Amex does control money distribution so it makes sense that they could say yea or nay to your spending categories to qualify for the bonus awards.

However, Hilton makes the determination as to whether $40K spend a year on a specific Hilton branded Amex card makes you an elite. Amex has nothing to do with that. All Amex does is report to Hilton that you spent "X" dollars a month using that Hilton card.

So I can't see how Amex would affect the awarding of status based on spend. Rather, it would be Hilton's responsibility to use the break-out of spending categories to make that determination. To date, the only break-out for my Hilton card has been for stays at a Hilton property.

Needless to say, Hilton has given me my points and status for my Amex Hilton spend without any deductions (at least for this year )
It's actually done on the AMEX side. AMEX will send to Hilton, Delta and the others if you've earned the status, and then Hilton, Delta and the other will bequeath that status. It's managed at the AMEX end. Keep using spend that is not disqualified for the bonuses, and you should be good.
horseymen is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:15 pm
  #888  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29
Horseymen burning up the midnight oil on flyertalk......
Clueless12 likes this.
thedealkiller is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 2:05 pm
  #889  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by thedealkiller View Post
Horseymen burning up the midnight oil on flyertalk......
To quote Florida-Georgia Line, that's how we roll!
horseymen is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:47 pm
  #890  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SAN
Posts: 42
Really liking the holiday vgc. Look exactly like my bank cards and has "gift" in small print.
fishfly is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:56 pm
  #891  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Hey so does anyone know if the Simon gift card thing will still work Walmarts in my area don't allow you to buy vgc with credit so its a toss up of vanilla from CVS and Simon cards also is there just certain cards this doesnt work with? im new to the whole thing can someone help?
Joshua Watson is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:57 pm
  #892  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
also im in college 22 only 2 credit cards ive never used before drive uber on the weeknds made about 40k a year from it what cards should i apply for that i can get approved for
Joshua Watson is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 6:23 pm
  #893  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by Joshua Watson View Post
also im in college 22 only 2 credit cards ive never used before drive uber on the weeknds made about 40k a year from it what cards should i apply for that i can get approved for
start with CC that is market to college student
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 1:23 am
  #894  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SRQ/TPA
Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,533
Originally Posted by fishfly View Post
Really liking the holiday vgc. Look exactly like my bank cards and has "gift" in small print.
Which one? They showed me a whole menu today but went with the normal silver.

Also I was surprised that my mall had a pre-filled out form for me. The CSR was like have you bought from us before, lets see if you have a form. I said I didn't think I do, but sure, lets see. Sure enough apparently I'm a frequent enough buyer that I got the pre-filled form without ever asking for it. The most interesting aspect for me is if you are vetted enough to get a pre-filled form you have a $10k/day limit while the walk up forms are $5k/day (which is a recent change from my post a couple months ago when we were at some random amount).
krazykanuck is online now  
Old Dec 2, 18, 10:28 pm
  #895  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Which one? They showed me a whole menu today but went with the normal silver.

Also I was surprised that my mall had a pre-filled out form for me. The CSR was like have you bought from us before, lets see if you have a form. I said I didn't think I do, but sure, lets see. Sure enough apparently I'm a frequent enough buyer that I got the pre-filled form without ever asking for it. The most interesting aspect for me is if you are vetted enough to get a pre-filled form you have a $10k/day limit while the walk up forms are $5k/day (which is a recent change from my post a couple months ago when we were at some random amount).
hmm. maybe thats specific to IAH. cuz here in LAX, its always 10k with walk-up form. but ive also heard other locations have different limits.
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 18, 10:37 pm
  #896  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
I've also heard it will be 12/10 to 12/24
who here is in SFO? wanted to know how legit this is:
https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outle...t-card-6080701

wont be around SFO for awhile, but this deal may change my mind.
GundamWing01 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 3:40 am
  #897  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
who here is in SFO? wanted to know how legit this is:
https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outle...t-card-6080701

wont be around SFO for awhile, but this deal may change my mind.
This is a national promo, so I'd say it's legit anywhere, Bay area or otherwise..
horseymen is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:29 am
  #898  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Posts: 687
I will head out there on my lunch hour to check it out!
jtav559 is online now  
Old Dec 3, 18, 1:16 pm
  #899  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by horseymen View Post
This is a national promo, so I'd say it's legit anywhere, Bay area or otherwise..
Not a national promo, seems to be only San Francisco. Multiple reports of it not working in other areas. You can also change the URL to your specific Simon premium outlet location and it doesn't show up.

I went to my local Simon Premium Outlet yesterday and they hadn't heard of it although they have had multiple people ask about it.
bigshooter is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 1:24 pm
  #900  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SFO/LAX/SAN/LAS/JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
I will head out there on my lunch hour to check it out!
so ur in the SFO area or SMF?

Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Not a national promo, seems to be only San Francisco. Multiple reports of it not working in other areas. You can also change the URL to your specific Simon premium outlet location and it doesn't show up.

I went to my local Simon Premium Outlet yesterday and they hadn't heard of it although they have had multiple people ask about it.
exactly. same here LAX.
GundamWing01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: