Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Wow . Amex is on roll. Atleast are you getting the regular miles for that spend ?

Recently Alliant is cracked down on gc.com purchases and some say even on simon mall purchases also.

Now banks are adding purchase filters to void out certain large purchases in providing bonuses or even regular points
YMMV but, all my Alliant purchases at GCM and multiple Simon locations are still getting full rewards as recently as my last statement close date eight days ago. Then again, I'm conservative in my monthly purchase totals and have a good deal of organic spend mixed in each month so I'd like to think I'm staying under the radar.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poisson
Does Simon Mall count towards AMEX minimum spend if they are purchased at the mall in person? I've read that some people have trouble buying online.
Simon purchase regardless where you buy, does NOT work for bonus of any kind, including spend bonus, since mid 2017.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
YMMV but, all my Alliant purchases at GCM and multiple Simon locations are still getting full rewards as recently as my last statement close date eight days ago. Then again, I'm conservative in my monthly purchase totals and have a good deal of organic spend mixed in each month so I'd like to think I'm staying under the radar.
+1 @ Simon plus tons of mix spending. All my Simon in person purchases received both MR and SPG Points last week when the statements closed. Now, last time I MS a signing bonus for Amex was the 20K MR Points for the Amex Blue BP when it launched @ Simon too, and no problem either.

Looks like bonuses are the problem now and not normal point accrual, when MSing with Amex.
Prometheus77 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
So is the general consensus that @m3x Delta Plat/Reserve spend doesn't get MQM waiver, but will get the MQM miles from spend at Simon GC purchases?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
So is the general consensus that @m3x Delta Plat/Reserve spend doesn't get MQM waiver, but will get the MQM miles from spend at Simon GC purchases?
presently, yes
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carl

presently, yes
Thanks. Still can't figure out why the MQD waiver on my Delta app and desktop says last updated Feb 2017 (yes 2017) even with organic spend.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Mr. Gamer.....

2 data points:
A few weeks back, went to my local Simon fishing hole to get a standard batch of cards. The head Guest Services lady was there and asked if I was a "gamer". I didn't follow what she was asking at first and said "No, I buy these as a budget tool, as I indicate on my form." She completed the transaction and I was on my way. It wasn't until I was down the freeway that it dawned on me that perhaps she meant MS. I chalked it up to a "Whatever, I got my cards" moment.

Yesterday afternoon, stopped by the same location to take on a modest 3k in cards. I have a pretty good rap with 2 of the GS workers who do the GC's. There was a newer gal working there who I have bought from exactly 1 time before. I indicated I wanted 6 cards, and she immediately picked up the phone to call the back office. She asked for my name, mentioned it to the person on the other end of the line, and apparently my name resides on the "blessed" or "good customer list" as her tone perked up after that. I filled out the form as she swiped and activated. She gave my form a quick glance and admired my penmanship - I learned to write block caps a long time ago to rid myself of atrocious chicken scratch. She said they had a "gamer" in here on Sunday that bought a bunch of VGC and filled out to form so sloppily that the desk got in trouble with the office. Once again, I got mine and I was on my way.

So as I drove home I mulled over this interaction:
  1. Is it a good or bad thing that (one of) my local simon's is more or less aware of MS practices?
  2. Am I glad to be on an "approved to buy" list? Probably, doesn't hurt to have a friendly and familiar face helping when I buy.
  3. Good or bad they have labeled us "gamers"? It seems rather innocuous at first, but it does give a secondary connotation of trying to "go around the system" if you will.
  4. Would that negative connotation bring undue attention from some upper management type that wants to put the kabash on my fishing hole?
  5. Does that form really hold much value? I have yet to see them cross reference it with my DL. I could write Bob the Builder on there and they would be none the wiser.
Either way, I try to just be pleasant and keep my head down in my dealings. No need to be a superstar.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:00 am

@jtav559 -- I regularly buy cards at two different Simon properties, and have had great experiences with both the desk staff and the managers. My sense is that most (not all) the Simon folks with whom I've dealt know about MS-ing. And I have heard them refer to "gamers" on occasion, but with a more-or-less neutral tone. I think one point of distinction is that "gamers" can't buy $1000 cards, while those with corporate accounts (like me) can.

I usually have a conversation with the desk person, about the weather, traffic, etc., but I try & steer clear about my buying purpose, business, etc. I fill out the forms accurately & neatly.

My overall impression is that Simon, from a corporate perspective, generally welcomes GC customers of all stripes, as long as they're not jerks. The VRU at the mall nearest me even answers the phone: "Welcome to _____, home of the Simon Gift Card."

P.S. "Does the form have much value?" Although there may not be much up-front review, my sense is that someone in the back office looks at them. Also, I think they are used for control purposes, for the "loose"cards in the GSR's money bag, which I think they have to account for.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jtav559
Good or bad they have labeled us "gamers"?
It doesn't affect anything. Simon employees have been using the term gamers to describe people engaged in MS. They all have a good idea what we're doing even if they don't understand the mechanics 100%. News travels fast, however, because many of my local Simon Mall guest services staff were aware of situations like Redbird loads no longer working or Bluebird accounts getting closed.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
My Simon Mall calls us "gamers" too. That has never prevented them from doing the transactions, so whatever.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simon knows exactly what people are doing. What they dont like is people who thought they are "smart" to do chicken scratch on their forms - this raises red flag to them as the person who does that tries to not give accurate information. To counteract that, at our Simon one CS lady would fill out the form with the name and purchase details, then X the areas where you fill out the rest - she literally wants to see the DL even though you are among those customers who can phone in an order. She is also the one who insists if a card malfunction, it cannot be used again the same day even though she has known us for almost 3 years now. But she is a stickler. At least we only need to take one sleeve per transaction now. lol.
When a new manager came into office about 18 months ago, all transactions must be reported to her before the transaction even began, and again afterward with the transaction details incl authorization codes - because the manager's previous locations have seen frauds committed with stolen CCs. That practice lasted for along tine and then since dropped.

For those who feel you can do chicken scratch and therefore not giving out the accurate information, you would not last long once the Simon you go to start suspecting you. Your stupidity also causes unexpected inconvenience to those who comply with Simon requirements on good faith.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Happy
Simon knows exactly what people are doing.
And I have thought this for a long time. Not many folks can just front 10k for VGC's to give as gifts, sit at home in the safe, use at leisure.

And I will keep plugging away, happily giving them my 3.95 card transaction fee
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:35 pm

Simon is about as MS friendly as you can get. They know I'm a "gamer" and they don't mind. They treat me with respect, offer me bottled water and load my cards ahead of time if I call. I would never try to deceive them by using chicken scratch or a fake reason for purchase like "budget tool."
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM
I have a positive tale of making sure your information is legible. The manager at my local Simon called my cell phone to let me know their system was down in case I was planning to come in, he said he'd call back once it was up and running. I went the following day thinking he must have forgotten and surely it was fixed; still down but he called me a few hours later to let me know it was back up and running. He said he was just calling his "regulars" but that was some great customer service.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559
2 data points:
A few weeks back, went to my local Simon fishing hole to get a standard batch of cards. The head Guest Services lady was there and asked if I was a "gamer". I didn't follow what she was asking at first and said "No, I buy these as a budget tool, as I indicate on my form." She completed the transaction and I was on my way. It wasn't until I was down the freeway that it dawned on me that perhaps she meant MS. I chalked it up to a "Whatever, I got my cards" moment.

Yesterday afternoon, stopped by the same location to take on a modest 3k in cards. I have a pretty good rap with 2 of the GS workers who do the GC's. There was a newer gal working there who I have bought from exactly 1 time before. I indicated I wanted 6 cards, and she immediately picked up the phone to call the back office. She asked for my name, mentioned it to the person on the other end of the line, and apparently my name resides on the "blessed" or "good customer list" as her tone perked up after that. I filled out the form as she swiped and activated. She gave my form a quick glance and admired my penmanship - I learned to write block caps a long time ago to rid myself of atrocious chicken scratch. She said they had a "gamer" in here on Sunday that bought a bunch of VGC and filled out to form so sloppily that the desk got in trouble with the office. Once again, I got mine and I was on my way.

So as I drove home I mulled over this interaction:
  1. Is it a good or bad thing that (one of) my local simon's is more or less aware of MS practices?
  2. Am I glad to be on an "approved to buy" list? Probably, doesn't hurt to have a friendly and familiar face helping when I buy.
  3. Good or bad they have labeled us "gamers"? It seems rather innocuous at first, but it does give a secondary connotation of trying to "go around the system" if you will.
  4. Would that negative connotation bring undue attention from some upper management type that wants to put the kabash on my fishing hole?
  5. Does that form really hold much value? I have yet to see them cross reference it with my DL. I could write Bob the Builder on there and they would be none the wiser.
Either way, I try to just be pleasant and keep my head down in my dealings. No need to be a superstar.

Thoughts are appreciated.
You are worrying too much lol, the call is to be sure you didn't buy the same day in other SM, ex: there is 3 SMs in my area and only you are allow to buy 10K a day, the call is to make sure you didn't already get the 10K and came back for more, yes they call us gamers lol and that came from the HO lol, i saw the letter that they sent out but that was last year though, they are very aware of what we do, i met and spoke with a regional marketing manager at my SM, she was interested to know what we do with those cards, she was well aware of the gamers and that we do it for the miles and points but didn't know how we get the money back if the Bluebird/serve were shut down, i didn't answer that and just told her that i use it to pay my student loan lol, but yes they are well aware of what we do, they use the form for internal fraud detection, nothing to worry there, two things very important, do not use a fake/stolen credit card and never pass 10K in a day, if you do that you are ok ohh, do not go out with one of the SM girls, wow but that is another story lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.