Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've tried to order for the first time from Simon online. It keeps failing.

I called and they said they've "escalated" it and since it's a weekend I know I should give them some time.

I saw the note in the Wiki that if you order from GCM you might be blocked from ordering from Simon, but I don't ever recall ordering from GCM.

Anybody know what might be going on?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:21 pm

Holiday Verification at local Simon Mall?

Has anyone had this happen to them?

So today went to one of our 2 local SM for some GCs. The cashier recognized me as a regular and said "we are doing a new security check due to the holidays"

Asked what card (s) I was using - an AMEX and a Visa.

Had some backdoor number in front of her and called Visa and got a $1 authorization and code. Took about 20 mins. Then called AMEX. Amex wanted to talk to me. Asked many questions - last 2 digits of my DL , if I owned a certain make/model of vehicle etc. and then on hold for 15 mins. Then came back and asked for my last 3 transactions. 15 mins later they authorized the $1 and gave the cashier the code. When I swiped the Amex it went through but the visa declined. So called and its a fraud alert - many more questions - then said try again, it was flagged because "someone charged a small amount then attempted a large amt" but as you may or may not know once a card gets declined SM wont let u use that card that day.

So tried another card. She called for the $1 and code. Same result. Flagged for fraud. Changed card issuer to another one. Success. Total amount of time: 1hr 32 mins.

Thing is I called our other SM and they r not doing this there.

Wierd
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bailey911
Has anyone had this happen to them?

So today went to one of our 2 local SM for some GCs. The cashier recognized me as a regular and said "we are doing a new security check due to the holidays"

Asked what card (s) I was using - an AMEX and a Visa.

Had some backdoor number in front of her and called Visa and got a $1 authorization and code. Took about 20 mins. Then called AMEX. Amex wanted to talk to me. Asked many questions - last 2 digits of my DL , if I owned a certain make/model of vehicle etc. and then on hold for 15 mins. Then came back and asked for my last 3 transactions. 15 mins later they authorized the $1 and gave the cashier the code. When I swiped the Amex it went through but the visa declined. So called and its a fraud alert - many more questions - then said try again, it was flagged because "someone charged a small amount then attempted a large amt" but as you may or may not know once a card gets declined SM wont let u use that card that day.

So tried another card. She called for the $1 and code. Same result. Flagged for fraud. Changed card issuer to another one. Success. Total amount of time: 1hr 32 mins.

Thing is I called our other SM and they r not doing this there.

Wierd
Store specific. It is not weird. It is the idiotic store manager decided to use such "preauthorization" to make sure the card is a good card. However s/he does not know that virtually ANY bank's system would automatically decline a large transaction followed by a $1 "test" because this fits right into the pattern crooks used to test a stolen card to make sure the card is still active, i.e. the owner has not known / reported his card is stolen, yet.

Next time if you still want to use this store, talk to the manager and explain to him / her, that a $1 authorization followed by large amount purchase would most likely be declined due to it fits right in the pattern of crooks testing stolen credit cards. I am surprised who the "genius" at this mall management office thinks up such an idiotic idea.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:19 pm

That happened to me 3 years ago, at that time barclay put on hold my arrival + for over a month for verification, right after that i spoke with the manager and because i was a regular (this is how they call us lol) i was approved to buy without the $1, since then never again.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FTR 787
for the folks here who have an AMEX BBP, is Simon (either at the mall or online) still working to earn the 2X MR on the upto $50k in spend per year? Obv MSR arent working, and not sure if this is considered a bonus or just regular spend.

but if anyone has any first hand experience of BBP still earning the 2X normally at Simon, it'd be much appreciated.
Originally Posted by sempervivum
Yes for me in sept
Any updates on this? About to make a run tomorrow...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:00 pm

Made a run yesterday. Two transactions with the same card for 7 SMGCs. Filled out the form, called into my bank (Barclays) to warn them of the impending large transaction, but the Simon CSR had no qualms with the amount. In fact, while I'm not a regular, she saw my AA card and assumed I was doing this for points and seemed to be pretty up to speed. She was super helpful.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:44 pm

I am asumming forks here typically goes to WM MO route to unload simon. I had a MO transaction cancelled midway thru the purchase, and of course the funds from one card drained. WM did not refund me cash or anything (I got receipt). Card is bought from the Mall and not from online retailer. According to WM, my simon is “pending” status, therefore WM cannot do anything at this time. This is after I was required to speak with the store manager(?) and she was all understanding until she saw the card being “pending” status. Will this “pending” ever goes away and the funds returned to the card? Or do I have to keep pressing with WM? I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention at this WM, but it is a big money (thank god, only one card). The manager also wanted to see the transaction record and I gave them a printout of the transaction history (WM gave me back the paper). If you ever had similar experience, can you share (private message or here), how you resolved this? This is the 1st time ever happened to me and I am beginning to bit panic here. (NOt that I cannot float, but I’d like to have my money back). It’s been 5 days now and the funds not returned to simon. Thank you.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by msiamsia
I am asumming forks here typically goes to WM MO route to unload simon. I had a MO transaction cancelled midway thru the purchase, and of course the funds from one card drained. WM did not refund me cash or anything (I got receipt). Card is bought from the Mall and not from online retailer. According to WM, my simon is “pending” status, therefore WM cannot do anything at this time. This is after I was required to speak with the store manager(?) and she was all understanding until she saw the card being “pending” status. Will this “pending” ever goes away and the funds returned to the card? Or do I have to keep pressing with WM? I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention at this WM, but it is a big money (thank god, only one card). The manager also wanted to see the transaction record and I gave them a printout of the transaction history (WM gave me back the paper). If you ever had similar experience, can you share (private message or here), how you resolved this? This is the 1st time ever happened to me and I am beginning to bit panic here. (NOt that I cannot float, but I’d like to have my money back). It’s been 5 days now and the funds not returned to simon. Thank you.
You'll have better luck in the WM thread.

I believe most DPs say that WM needs to reimburse you.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:35 pm

Thanks. I will post it in WM thread now.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:57 am

What week did Simon have a no fee week last year? I hope they have one this year.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
What week did Simon have a no fee week last year? I hope they have one this year.
it was the first week of December last year. I'm going slow the next two weeks hoping they go fee free that week this year. I'll be on the road all week covering for a coworker and able to stop at the mall for lunch everyday if they do.

my regular rep said she hadn't heard anything about it last week but said their promo sheet might not include December yet.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nmp0
it was the first week of December last year. I'm going slow the next two weeks hoping they go fee free that week this year. I'll be on the road all week covering for a coworker and able to stop at the mall for lunch everyday if they do.

my regular rep said she hadn't heard anything about it last week but said their promo sheet might not include December yet.
that promo was for a new product (5B)......i doubt it'll apply to anything they currently have.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
that promo was for a new product (5B)......i doubt it'll apply to anything they currently have.
Agreed. This was special for the 5B cards only. Unless they come back with another promo card I wouldn't mind!!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage
Agreed. This was special for the 5B cards only. Unless they come back with another promo card I wouldn't mind!!
Ah memories. That was the time wife finally good hooked on MS. "You mean we can make money by then taking these cards we got miles on for free to CVS and buying GCs there?"
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've been buying large quantities of SGC's for the past couple years - $50K/mo or more. The closest SM to me is 30 miles, and on the way to the nearest big city, so I was going past it quite often. Lately my life has changed a bit and I'm not driving that way as often, so I'd like to transition to buying at least some GC's online. So far I've purchased one each on SM site and GCM, but haven't received them. I have some questions, and also would like a confirmation of some things I've learned from this site and personal experience.

1) Do the mail Visa GC's work the same at the ones I buy at the mall?
2) Do they come activated, or do I have to activate them? If they come activated, what is the protection against lost or stolen GC's?
3) Am I correct that there is a $15K per 30 days rolling period limit?
4) I use 2% cashback cards to buy them. One of the accounts has a family member as an authorized user. Is there any reason I can't set up a second account using their name and an alternate address? (With the family member's permission of course.)
5) It took me many tried to get a purchase to go through. I found that I couldn't buy them until the name on the credit card matched the account name, the shipping address matched the billing address, and I disabled my VPN that masks my IP address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.