Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Travelz
Wiki Link
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.


10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 3, 17, 1:02 pm
  #391  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,810
Originally Posted by Domat View Post
Looks like Simon mall GC no longer work for minimum spend.
I have not encountered that with my AMEX plat card, or HH Amex card.

However, if this is new event, I will discover it this month when my statements post.
radonc1 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:47 pm
  #392  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Prometheus77 View Post
I didn't say it was your experience, I said it has was MY experience. Obviously it's another YMMV situation. A lot of people over on r/churning are reporting delays with their MR bonus points posting lately, and just like your own claims others report getting them much faster.
This is true in my case as well... My Wife's account post bonus within a week while posting to my account takes a couple of months.
vividtraveler is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 11:27 pm
  #393  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1
SIMON MALL SHUTTING DOWN 5B VGC. Well not completely shutting it down, they are decreasing the maximum value per card from $500 down to $200. The lady at my local Simon Mall showed me the email corporate sent out to their employee's. Simon employee's are instructed to sell $500 5B VCG's until Oct 31, 2017. Afterwards, they are only allowed to sell 5B VGC's with a maximum value of $200

Sucks... 5% back on $200 after fees is almost pointless.. Does anyone else have a new play they'd like to share?
Cajun187 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 1:25 am
  #394  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Cajun187 View Post
SIMON MALL SHUTTING DOWN 5B VGC. Well not completely shutting it down, they are decreasing the maximum value per card from $500 down to $200. The lady at my local Simon Mall showed me the email corporate sent out to their employee's. Simon employee's are instructed to sell $500 5B VCG's until Oct 31, 2017. Afterwards, they are only allowed to sell 5B VGC's with a maximum value of $200

Sucks... 5% back on $200 after fees is almost pointless.. Does anyone else have a new play they'd like to share?
Why would you care for that change, if you wouldn't have some play??
ST4LKER is online now  
Old Sep 6, 17, 6:34 am
  #395  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 581
Originally Posted by Cajun187 View Post
SIMON MALL SHUTTING DOWN 5B VGC. Well not completely shutting it down, they are decreasing the maximum value per card from $500 down to $200. The lady at my local Simon Mall showed me the email corporate sent out to their employee's. Simon employee's are instructed to sell $500 5B VCG's until Oct 31, 2017. Afterwards, they are only allowed to sell 5B VGC's with a maximum value of $200

Sucks... 5% back on $200 after fees is almost pointless.. Does anyone else have a new play they'd like to share?
What are 5backs good for these days?
Zgirl is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 2:06 pm
  #396  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by Zgirl View Post
What are 5backs good for these days?
Absolutely nothing
hiima is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:55 pm
  #397  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Domat View Post
Looks like Simon mall GC no longer work for minimum spend.
I'm not sure if this is true but had a troubling conversation with an AMEX CSR via chat.

Met my spend 3-4 weeks ago on my Delta Biz Plat with $5k of SM VGCs plus about $700 of "normal" spend (including a Delta purchase that DID trigger the $100 credit).

When I asked the CSR if I had met the spend requirement, he stated that I needed to spend about $4300 more, which seems to indicate the Simon Mall purchase was not being counted toward eligible spend.

When I pressed him and said I saw about $6k spend from my side, he confirmed he saw the spend, that it earned miles for the purchase, and to wait a little longer for the bonus to post.

I don't believe him...
mann1mal is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 4:14 am
  #398  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by mann1mal View Post
I'm not sure if this is true but had a troubling conversation with an AMEX CSR via chat.

Met my spend 3-4 weeks ago on my Delta Biz Plat with $5k of SM VGCs plus about $700 of "normal" spend (including a Delta purchase that DID trigger the $100 credit).

When I asked the CSR if I had met the spend requirement, he stated that I needed to spend about $4300 more, which seems to indicate the Simon Mall purchase was not being counted toward eligible spend.

When I pressed him and said I saw about $6k spend from my side, he confirmed he saw the spend, that it earned miles for the purchase, and to wait a little longer for the bonus to post.

I don't believe him...
If the points post on your next statement, then the spend will count. Right now just sit and wait. In the past, the only time AMEX spend didn't count was when purchasing Amex gift cards unless that has changed
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 5:08 am
  #399  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
If the points post on your next statement, then the spend will count. Right now just sit and wait. In the past, the only time AMEX spend didn't count was when purchasing Amex gift cards unless that has changed
Will do, but the 5600k SM already posted (Aug 26th) for the spend.
mann1mal is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 5:32 am
  #400  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by mann1mal View Post
Will do, but the 5600k SM already posted (Aug 26th) for the spend.
I totally understand your concern but the terms for the bonus do say it can take 8-12 weeks. There are several people not receiving their bonuses at the moment but nobody has any idea whether its related to their msr pattern.
bar19900 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 8:04 am
  #401  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,328
Originally Posted by mann1mal View Post
I'm not sure if this is true but had a troubling conversation with an AMEX CSR via chat.

Met my spend 3-4 weeks ago on my Delta Biz Plat with $5k of SM VGCs plus about $700 of "normal" spend (including a Delta purchase that DID trigger the $100 credit).

When I asked the CSR if I had met the spend requirement, he stated that I needed to spend about $4300 more, which seems to indicate the Simon Mall purchase was not being counted toward eligible spend.

When I pressed him and said I saw about $6k spend from my side, he confirmed he saw the spend, that it earned miles for the purchase, and to wait a little longer for the bonus to post.

I don't believe him...
Things may change but Amex bonuses normally posts as soon as the spend is done. No waiting for statement.

Last month i did 6k at Simons and nothing. Did 5k at supermarket and 2 days later I received my points.

It may be that you will still get it for Simons purchase eventually but f you are close to your 90 days I would just do more at other locations.
Domat is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 3:34 pm
  #402  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by bar19900 View Post
I totally understand your concern but the terms for the bonus do say it can take 8-12 weeks. There are several people not receiving their bonuses at the moment but nobody has any idea whether its related to their msr pattern.
Yeah, I am hoping it's just a system-wide slowdown of bonuses being issued, or something of the sort. I hand't seen reports of others without Simon Mall spend not receiving bonuses which is why I was concerned.

Originally Posted by Domat View Post
Things may change but Amex bonuses normally posts as soon as the spend is done. No waiting for statement.

Last month i did 6k at Simons and nothing. Did 5k at supermarket and 2 days later I received my points.

It may be that you will still get it for Simons purchase eventually but f you are close to your 90 days I would just do more at other locations.
Yeah, I've gotten 3 bonuses on SkyMiles card in the past 3 years, all three have posted in less than a week after meeting MSR. I'll probably take on some additional spend just to be safe.
mann1mal is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 5:32 pm
  #403  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,376
Originally Posted by mann1mal View Post
I'm not sure if this is true but had a troubling conversation with an AMEX CSR via chat.

Met my spend 3-4 weeks ago on my Delta Biz Plat with $5k of SM VGCs plus about $700 of "normal" spend (including a Delta purchase that DID trigger the $100 credit).

When I asked the CSR if I had met the spend requirement, he stated that I needed to spend about $4300 more, which seems to indicate the Simon Mall purchase was not being counted toward eligible spend.

When I pressed him and said I saw about $6k spend from my side, he confirmed he saw the spend, that it earned miles for the purchase, and to wait a little longer for the bonus to post.

I don't believe him...
This is exactly the same type of conversation I posted about last week (for amex plat bonus)..
My amex bonuses always posted within a couple days of spend (most rrecently a couple months ago with Hilton amex)..

The fact that they even have some parallel tracker that identifies gc (at least simon) even though regular spend posts as usual is rather troubling...

according to tracker I am at 4100 spend when incl. 1k smgc it should be 5100...

perhaps this will go to manual review and still get approved but either way this is a new development...
azepine00 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 17, 9:58 pm
  #404  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by mann1mal View Post
Yeah, I am hoping it's just a system-wide slowdown of bonuses being issued, or something of the sort. I hand't seen reports of others without Simon Mall spend not receiving bonuses which is why I was concerned.



Yeah, I've gotten 3 bonuses on SkyMiles card in the past 3 years, all three have posted in less than a week after meeting MSR. I'll probably take on some additional spend just to be safe.
Wonder if this will also affect the $25,000/$50,000 and $30,000/$60,000 MQM boosts on the respective Delta-branded Amex cards...
Jarrett is offline  
Old Sep 8, 17, 11:00 am
  #405  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Wonder if this will also affect the $25,000/$50,000 and $30,000/$60,000 MQM boosts on the respective Delta-branded Amex cards...
Yep, another big concern of mine as well.
mann1mal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: