Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by daprophecy
Hey guys, used to buy a lot from Simon a couple of years ago and then stopped (working on WF). Anyway just bought some this weekend (5%), tried it at USPS and it got rejected. Checked online and it showed that it was rejected as well. I know last 4 digits are the pin. So my question is do I have to register the cards? I know we used to have to do this but not sure anymore. I activated one card online and now all the other cards say invalid info. I tried registering two cards and that worked but not sure what I actually did. Advice would be much appreciated.

TL/DR Have the rules changed for Simon from a few years back regarding activation
you need to reed the USPS wiki & thread for your answer
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:57 pm

Just bought $10,000 of Simon GCs with stack of $100s. They didn't give me any points.. what's wrong?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by cashcyclone
They only work at Walmart and you don't need to activate them. PIN is any numbers you choose at first time use. PO is for vanillas and WM is for metas.
Ah man... So I wasn't doing anything wrong. I thought I was done with Wally. Well time to go back and meet my old friends. Thank you for the info.

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Well documented in this thread that these no longer work at Post Office. Their system blocks it.

Only Vanillas work reliably. (possibly others I'm forgetting?)
I checked this thread but couldn't find anything. I guess you are referring to the 2016 thread? I skimmed over it but obviously didn't look hard enough. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by lumangoy
you need to reed the USPS wiki & thread for your answer
I'll look there. thanks
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:05 pm

FWIW -- I had a mini-shutdown at my local Simons mall. I had a corporate account, and had been allowed to buy $1000 GCs. On a recent visit, I was told that I henceforth have to buy GCs as an "individual," the most significant impact being that I was limited to $500 per card. I was offered a rather convoluted "explanation" that didn't make a lot of sense. Although this effectively doubles my per-thousand card cost ($3.95 to $7.90), I don't really want to make waves, since this mall has been very friendly to me in the past.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
FWIW -- I had a mini-shutdown at my local Simons mall. I had a corporate account, and had been allowed to buy $1000 GCs. On a recent visit, I was told that I henceforth have to buy GCs as an "individual," the most significant impact being that I was limited to $500 per card. I was offered a rather convoluted "explanation" that didn't make a lot of sense. Although this effectively doubles my per-thousand card cost ($3.95 to $7.90), I don't really want to make waves, since this mall has been very friendly to me in the past.
with approved biz acct, could any folks still buy a $1k vgc at the mall? heard that total fees (purchase, processing & shipping) for a $1k card on-line order nowadays add up to about the same as a $500's at the mall?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
Just bought $10,000 of Simon GCs with stack of $100s. They didn't give me any points.. what's wrong?
pts for fixed amt?... any special offer or promotion presently?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
with approved biz acct, could any folks still buy a $1k vgc at the mall? heard that total fees (purchase, processing & shipping) for a $1k card on-line order nowadays add up to about the same as a $500's at the mall?
If you somehow get approved for a "corporate account" to buy the 1k VGCs, they will monitor how you spend the VGCs and shut you down if they are being drained in 1 debit swipe at WM (or elsewhere).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bodiddely
If you somehow get approved for a "corporate account" to buy the 1k VGCs, they will monitor how you spend the VGCs and shut you down if they are being drained in 1 debit swipe at WM (or elsewhere).
Yes, they will shut you down immediately. (Many DPs on this.) That's assuming you get approved in the first place.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jarrett
Yes, they will shut you down immediately. (Many DPs on this.) That's assuming you get approved in the first place.
Simon does not mind gamers for the points and miles but if the gamers try to game Simon by shorting them the card fee with a Corporate account for the gaming purpose, Simon would take action.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Simon does not mind gamers for the points and miles but if the gamers try to game Simon by shorting them the card fee with a Corporate account for the gaming purpose, Simon would take action.
I would love the option to pay $7.90 for a 1k VGC... double my WM productivity! A guy can dream...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

I would love the option to pay $7.90 for a 1k VGC... double my WM productivity! A guy can dream...
^^^ This. I would happily pay up to $9.95 for $1k cards
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
I would happily pay up to $9.95 for $1k cards
I suspect that SM did not simply overlook such options. They must not be possible due to their contracts with the banks or other reasons.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:25 pm

Like others have stated, I too am fine giving Simon their cut for offering GCs. $1k VGCs would be very nice indeed!!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by ClemsonStang
I took a blank one home, filled out the general stuff, made some copies of it, HOLE PUNCHED IT, and take it in with me. Makes everyone's life a little easier.
That's a great idea.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
What exactly is their reason for denying it? Keep in mind they do have a policy that if your card is declined on the first attempt, they will not let you call and clear the block and then use it again that same day. You'll have to use another card. That's only weird policy I'm familiar with, but I use Arrival+ constantly and it's a MC with no issues.
The first time I went to a SM I was attempting to buy $5500 in FB's. I filled out the form, asked the gal to split the payment $5122 on my Business Platinum (was testing if this would trigger the 1.5x MR for over $5000 transactions) and the rest on my Business SPG. It was a trainwreck at first. The card got declined, I called Amex spoke to someone about clearing the flag and they instructed me to have the merchant attempt the transaction a second time. It was declined again! A bit embarrassed (and still on hold with Amex) I was incredulous. I asked the rep what had happened and he said even though he (with the card security dept) had cleared the alert, the second attempt had triggered a fraud alert which had to be cleared by a different dept. I had him transfer me, that dept cleared the second alert and I went back to the girl at the SM desk and sheepishly asked that she run the card again. She then instructed me that that particular SM had a policy in place that they would not accept a third attempt after two previous declines. She did say they would accept a different form of payment. Now, I feel bad about this, but I showed her the business platinum again and claimed it was a different card (I had a personal plat to show her when she seemed unsure that I was indeed showing her a different card.) It worked and thankfully, the SPG went through without a problem too. Looking back it was a monumentally stupid first visit to SM, but I'm hoping with repeat visits they get to know me and everything becomes smooth sailing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.