Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
MS isn't breaking any laws. I have had this conversation at length with member of several agencies I work with. They don't care about us.

Don't buy more than you can float. You never know when you'll get stuck with them!
I've had the same question... while it's not illegal, I would still be worried that my bank would find it very curious that I was depositing $20k+ of money orders into my account... especially if I didn't have a small business account with the bank. I wouldn't be worried about going to jail or anything, but I would be worried about an investigation being opened. How come no one here seems to worry about that? (I figure even with all paperwork being saved and KNOWING it's legal, it's probably still a pain to be investigated)

Or do banks really not care? I worked as a teller for a national bank for six months or so as a second job and my teller manager would question large amounts of money orders being deposited on a routine basis without an explanation, especially if money was then withdrawn near the same amounts within a short (same day or one or two days later time frame).

Also, for money orders, how do you fill them out when it comes to TO/FROM? I can't imagine FROM *my name* to *my name* would fly by without extra questions. Is it ok to leave the from part blank? Would the raise questions?

I've been using my money orders to pay off bills but I'm running out of stuff to pay off and would still like to MS occasionally.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by acarney

Also, for money orders, how do you fill them out when it comes to TO/FROM? I can't imagine FROM *my name* to *my name* would fly by without extra questions. Is it ok to leave the from part blank? Would the raise questions?

I've been using my money orders to pay off bills but I'm running out of stuff to pay off and would still like to MS occasionally.

I have put my name as the "to" and then signed it front and back on over $100k and never been questioned over the last 8 months
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:38 pm

I deposited one mo without fill in any to or from by mistake and bank took it, normally I make pay to my self or wife but never add purchaseser info.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by acarney
I've had the same question... while it's not illegal, I would still be worried that my bank would find it very curious that I was depositing $20k+ of money orders into my account... especially if I didn't have a small business account with the bank. I wouldn't be worried about going to jail or anything, but I would be worried about an investigation being opened. How come no one here seems to worry about that? (I figure even with all paperwork being saved and KNOWING it's legal, it's probably still a pain to be investigated)

Or do banks really not care? I worked as a teller for a national bank for six months or so as a second job and my teller manager would question large amounts of money orders being deposited on a routine basis without an explanation, especially if money was then withdrawn near the same amounts within a short (same day or one or two days later time frame).

They do care. If you do it long enough, they will ask you what you're doing. Just be honest and have statements to back you up.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:18 pm

Has anyone had the experience of SM clerk saying that he/she needed to call to get pre-approval before processing your transaction? While we don't frequent SM often, we purchased $10,000 during the holidays when there wasn't a fee without a hitch. However, my SO and I went in this week to purchase 11 $500 FB cards, and it was just a weird experience. First, the clerk left desk to get manager approval, and then had to call some phone number to get "pre-approval" which seemed to be a new policy. They didn't seem to get that to work, and finally, after about 25 minutes, sold us the gift cards without pre-approval, whatever that means. Everything just felt very uncomfortable. We weren't doing anything wrong, at least, not to my knowledge, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any insight.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by chef3543
Has anyone had the experience of SM clerk saying that he/she needed to call to get pre-approval before processing your transaction? While we don't frequent SM often, we purchased $10,000 during the holidays when there wasn't a fee without a hitch. However, my SO and I went in this week to purchase 11 $500 FB cards, and it was just a weird experience. First, the clerk left desk to get manager approval, and then had to call some phone number to get "pre-approval" which seemed to be a new policy. They didn't seem to get that to work, and finally, after about 25 minutes, sold us the gift cards without pre-approval, whatever that means. Everything just felt very uncomfortable. We weren't doing anything wrong, at least, not to my knowledge, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any insight.
I went in and bought 2 $500 cards. I had never bought there before so I had to fill out a form they kept in a book. She asked if I was registered at another Simon mall, called her supervisor and then sold me my cards.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I went in and bought 2 $500 cards. I had never bought there before so I had to fill out a form they kept in a book. She asked if I was registered at another Simon mall, called her supervisor and then sold me my cards.
hmmmm...this isn't exactly what I meant. I am familiar with filling out paperwork to purchase more than $3K, and we had to do that this time as well. However, these other manager approval and pre-approval steps seemed to be new. Anyone else?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:50 pm

hmmmm...this isn't exactly what I meant. I am familiar with filling out paperwork to purchase more than $3K, and we had to do that this time as well. However, these other manager approval and pre-approval steps seemed to be new. Anyone else?
Yes I understand over $3,000 but I only bought $1000. Also she checked my drivers license.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:15 pm

There's one Simon by me that if I but 2+ giftcards they do call that number, and then ask for my credit card and it seems like they are typing in my credit card number into the phone. I stopped going there because other Simons just have me fill the form and I'm out. That phone process is dragged out and irritating.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Yes I understand over $3,000 but I only bought $1000. Also she checked my drivers license.
Mall Specific.
We only go to one mall in more than 2 years. They require form for $1K and up. To this date the CSR still makes the gesture to check our DLs against the CCs, and then the CCs against the printed receipts.

I understand they do this because they are under CCTV - if they do not follow the procedures being told, they could get in trouble. It does not matter they "know" us for 2 more years and the usual amount we buy and we can even call in our orders though we prefer to just show up at our preferred time - and they dont mind to rerun our cards should the "card malfunction" happened - that itself is against the policy but they make this exception. Yet they still go thru the motion of checking, just so they have the look of following all procedures. Not a problem for us.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
New one yesterday:
While filling out the form for a $2,500 purchase.
"And you are buying these for miles and points?"
"What!"
"We have to ask in case we get audited, are you buying these for miles and points?"
"What are miles and points?"
"For spending."
"No, I am buying these for gift cards."
"OK"
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
New one yesterday:
While filling out the form for a $2,500 purchase.
"And you are buying these for miles and points?"
"What!"
"We have to ask in case we get audited, are you buying these for miles and points?"
"What are miles and points?"
"For spending."
"No, I am buying these for gift cards."
"OK"
Sir, are you a gamer?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by SoloExperiment
I have put my name as the "to" and then signed it front and back on over $100k and never been questioned over the last 8 months
Small peanuts
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Sir, are you a gamer?
"Budget tool"
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FrankMS
"Budget tool"
I haven't bought at Simon for awhile, but I would always write "Personal use" for the reason. The staff at the local mall all knew it was the miles and points crowd coming in to purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.