Wiki Posts
Search

Merchant Gift Cards and Exchange rates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Merchant Gift Cards and Exchange rates

I have been considering buying merchant gift cards to fulfill minimum spending requirements. Some programs (Burger King Crown Club) allow for GCs to be purchased and used both in the US and Canada.

Would the BK merchant gift cards purchased in Canada (at favorable CAD/USD rates) be redeemable at US locations at USD rates? I cannot find any information or reported experiences doing this. I was just in Montreal and didn't think to purchase a Crown Card to test this out.

My one DP on this is that I used a US Starbucks merchant GC to purchase a coffee in Vancouver late last year. The USD balanced was reduced by the amount of the coffee in CAD. Unless I am mistaken there was no conversion applied to the balance reduction.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by gamzarme
Would the BK merchant gift cards purchased in Canada (at favorable CAD/USD rates) be redeemable at US locations at USD rates ?
When you spend in the US, the equivalent amount in CAD will be deducted. So there is not any savings benefit.
e.g. Spending $3 USD at a US-Starbucks will reduce the Canadian-GC-balance by $4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.