Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California Law About Cash for Gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by perkunas
Yeah and even if they know about the law, it's not like many cashiers have the ability to open their drawer and hand out cash.
But if they get flustered and threaten to kick 100% of your a$$, at least you may get a free breakfast.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Jack in the he box

Originally Posted by sbft77
At Jack in the Box, the cashiers don't know how to do it, but you can call Jack in the Box customer service and they'll mail you a check.
I was at a Jack in the box, ordered a small fries with a $10 GC and asked for the balance back. The girl at first said they can' t do that, then the manager came out and repeated what the girl had said. I noticed that behind her and slightly above her head there was a sign stating any gift cards under $10 were; in fact, redeemable for cash. When I pointed this out to her, she says, " Ya, I know, but IDK how." I told her she better call somebody and find out. She did. It took her 25 minutes, but I got my chump change.
That general rule probably applies to other places (maybe Steak 'n Shake); cashiers often don't know how to do it, but you can call someone who does.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Apr 21, 2018 at 8:10 pm Reason: fix formatting
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
At my Walmart, there is a young hippie-ish couple that comes in every day with a big stack of gift cards at around $9 each and cashes them out. They won't say where they got them. The cashiers and CSMs think it is really odd but they are required by CA law to cash them out.

I often cash out gift cards at smashburger(fast-food burger chain) once they get under $10. Usually the cashiers don't know you can cash out gift cards, but if I ask for a manager or supervisor they always take care of it.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:46 pm

Had this issue at target with two stores contacted customer relations problem solved.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I tried to cash out a balance under $5 at a Domino's in WA after a purchase and got a "we don't do that" from the cashier. Filed a complaint with the State AG and the response from the Domino's store manager was fantastic: "The back of the gift card clearly states that it is not redeemable for cash and can only be used at a Domino's Pizza location to purchase Domino's products. Unless there is a law that overrules this that I'm unaware of, we will stand by what we previously stated that gift cards cannot be exchanged for cash." He hit the nail on the head right there. The AG's office said they sent several unanswered responses to the manager and this is where my complaint ends, but they may or may not be taking up a formal investigation and cannot comment further.

Don't think this is scalable for MS purposes, especially with this much pushback from the stores and my state's $5 limit.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mroseman13
Filed a complaint with the State AG...
Who do you even have to go to the AG when it is more effective to complain this to the Domino's Corporate (not the franchise)?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:24 am

I tried to cash out a balance under $5 at a Domino's in WA after a purchase and got a "we don't do that" from the cashier. Filed a complaint with the State AG and the response from the Domino's store manager was fantastic: "The back of the gift card clearly states that it is not redeemable for cash and can only be used at a Domino's Pizza location to purchase Domino's products. Unless there is a law that overrules this that I'm unaware of, we will stand by what we previously stated that gift cards cannot be exchanged for cash."
It might be helpful to show the manager the actual state law that he is unaware of:

Revised Code of Washington 19.240.020

Unlawful actions—Remaining value—Lost/stolen gift certificates. (1) Except as provided in RCW 19.240.030 through 19.240.070, it is unlawful for any person or entity to issue, or to enforce against a bearer, a gift certificate that contains:
(a) An expiration date;

(b) Any fee, including a service fee; or
(c) A dormancy or inactivity charge.
(2) If a gift certificate is issued with the sale of tangible personal property or services, the gift certificate is subject to subsection (1) of this section.
(3) If a purchase is made with a gift certificate for an amount that is less than the value of the gift certificate, the issuer must make the remaining value available to the bearer in cash or as a gift certificate at the option of the issuer. If after the purchase the remaining value of the gift certificate is less than five dollars, the gift certificate must be redeemable in cash for its remaining value on demand of the bearer. A gift certificate is valid until redeemed or replaced.
(4) This section does not require, unless otherwise required by law, the issuer of a gift certificate to replace a lost or stolen gift certificate.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by garykung
Who do you even have to go to the AG when it is more effective to complain this to the Domino's Corporate (not the franchise)?
Corporate isn't responsible, the franchise is.

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
It might be helpful to show the manager the actual state law that he is unaware of:
The AG sent them the code/law after their response and and didn't hear anything back.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:31 am

The AG sent them the code/law after their response and and didn't hear anything back.
Actually walking into the store and giving the manager a copy of the statute might be a more direct approach.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Corporate isn't responsible, the franchise is.
You put the corporate on pressure pressing the franchise doing the right thing.

Also - gift card is a corporate "item" as well.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:44 pm

I tried to cash out a balance under $5 at a Domino's in WA after a purchase and got a "we don't do that" from the cashier. Filed a complaint with the State AG and the response from the Domino's store manager was fantastic: "The back of the gift card clearly states that it is not redeemable for cash and can only be used at a Domino's Pizza location to purchase Domino's products. Unless there is a law that overrules this that I'm unaware of, we will stand by what we previously stated that gift cards cannot be exchanged for cash." He hit the nail on the head right there. The AG's office said they sent several unanswered responses to the manager and this is where my complaint ends, but they may or may not be taking up a formal investigation and cannot comment further.

Don't think this is scalable for MS purposes, especially with this much pushback from the stores and my state's $5 limit.
yes it’s time to buy 500 $4 dominoes gift cards and then just cash out. Almost as good as the $ coins :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.