Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by calwatch
Although generally most hate the concept of class action lawsuits this is a classic case where you are fundamentally changing the terms of the game without any notice. As it stands you could cash out for 87% fairly easily by selling a fake product, if you really needed the money (10% eBay tax + 2.9% Paypal tax) but this is still very annoying.
On the back of my physical GC it says "Additional terms and restrictions are stated in the Terms and Conditions which can be found at http://giftcard.ebay.com/terms-conditions."

I'm not a lawyer, but I also wonder the legality of changing the terms after buying the gift card.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Well this is unfortunate. For the first time I, just on the 26th of July, purchased a $25 Burger King GC split between 3 funding sources: 1) recently received eBay return credits, 2) imminently expiring eBay Bux, and 3) eBay GC credit purchased through my local supermarket for the 5x URs.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by gamzarme
Well this is unfortunate. For the first time I, just on the 26th of July, purchased a $25 Burger King GC split between 3 funding sources: 1) recently received eBay return credits, 2) imminently expiring eBay Bux, and 3) eBay GC credit purchased through my local supermarket for the 5x URs.
You need to spend you eBay bucks as soon as you get them.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by canyoncar
On the back of my physical GC it says "Additional terms and restrictions are stated in the Terms and Conditions which can be found at http://giftcard.ebay.com/terms-conditions."

I'm not a lawyer, but I also wonder the legality of changing the terms after buying the gift card.
You can't. It is a contract, and you cant unilaterally alter a contract without the other parties consent.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
You can't. It is a contract, and you cant unilaterally alter a contract without the other parties consent.
Then how can the buyers fight back? A class action typically takes more than 3 years to a result
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by walkingingotham
Then how can the buyers fight back? A class action typically takes more than 3 years to a result
Buy some tires or something from eBay and move on with life...apparently no one learned what can happen by holding tons of GCs.

HIGCs anyone???
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:05 pm

Small Claims Court
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Buy some tires or something from eBay and move on with life...apparently no one learned what can happen by holding tons of GCs.

HIGCs anyone???
HIGC was specifically stated, on the packaging, to be valid ONLY for home improvement stores. eBay gift cards are advertised as good for anything on eBay. You could argue gift cards don't qualify, but if I want to build my coin collection, I should be able to do so on eBay and use my gift cards.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
HIGC was specifically stated, on the packaging, to be valid ONLY for home improvement stores. eBay gift cards are advertised as good for anything on eBay. You could argue gift cards don't qualify, but if I want to build my coin collection, I should be able to do so on eBay and use my gift cards.
Good point
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:18 am

You could also argue that WMT is a home improvement store...

I'm not sure what the usual argument was, but IIRC people were able to receive refunds on the HIGC more or less by saying that the cards didn't work as expected, or they didn't agree to the terms of use, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:52 am

I have about $100 in Ebay GC. I didn't do anything major with these like reselling, but I would periodically buy Chevron gas GC. I really have no other use for them. Other than selling my GC for a loss or buying something on Ebay I don't really need, what are my options?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I have about $100 in Ebay GC. I didn't do anything major with these like reselling, but I would periodically buy Chevron gas GC. I really have no other use for them. Other than selling my GC for a loss or buying something on Ebay I don't really need, what are my options?
Buy Xmas presents?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:49 pm

Update from Ebay

I have a fair chunk of ebay GC's, and made a phone call to eBay today. Although I had no expectation of having the issues immediately resolved, the direct contact is a requisite first step in any complaint or lawsuit.
At first I was connected to a low level "Mr.Cluless". He gave me an impression that eBay understands the gravity of the situatioin, and transferred me to the higher level supervisor after a brief delay.

During my convo with the supervisor, I suggested 2 possible resolutions to my GC dilemma:
1. Allow me to use the GC's under the terms effective at the time of purchase.
2. If the above is not technically possible (due to the website programming), then eBay is in breach of the purchase agreement. We have to undo the purchase, i.e. return the GC's in exchange for their face value.

The supervisor tried to be accommodating, but stated that he received no authority to resolve this issue. He is simply documenting customer feedback for the senior management, who are well aware of the scale of the problem. Their decision may take weeks or more likely months to arrive.

There was also a mention of trying to return the gift cards to the retailers that sold them, possibly to gauge my reaction. I was not interested. It's a distraction that would only muddy the water -- retailers have done nothing wrong here.
I am guessing that the delay will be used to calculate what's less expensive for eBay: doing the right thing, or dealing with the fines and lawsuits. In the past, eBay/PayPal usually chose fines and lawsuits. So everyone who was planning to complain to the FTC and file small claims lawsuits should proceed. The fact that eBay is concerned about the problem should be taken as encouragement, as they're not likely to succeed.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:32 pm

This is what I expected o happened. I have filed my complaint w BBB and CFPB for the sake of documentation and that I tried working w them for a solution.
Next step, Small Claims Court!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
The only problem is they are still good on eBay, just not for gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.