Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
Thanks for the tip ! I had selected debit on the terminal, maybe that is why. Will try again today, and if it doesn't work, go to Post office. I still have 4 x $200 to liquidate.

Did you end up actually getting 5% back on your VGC purchases ?
I just did it today as debit at CVS and it worked no problem.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by LukFilm
I just did it today as debit at CVS and it worked no problem.
Debit (with pin) and split tender worked for you ? I guess you are lucky. That combination definitely didn't work at my CVS when buying OV.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blackhawk is beyond screwed up with the CVS cashback on this card.

So when the 5% cashback didn't automatically credit for a few days, I called Blackhawk (option 2, dispute a charge, was the only way to get a human being). The agent was initially VERY confused, but after speaking with a supervisor was willing to "open a ticket" for me with the credit card numbers on it. A couple days later, I got a call from Blackhawk and got the cashback credit. I chatted up the agent who told me they know about the glitch and were working to fix it. She said I'd still have to call in to get the credit -- and, when they fix the glitch, it still might not correct current transactions! I expressed concern about the training given to the call center employees, but she said other agents should be more familiar with the problem, and that there's no "direct" way to get the cashback credited.

Tonight, I called to get the credit on additional Five Back cards. The agent was clueless, and even his supervisor was clueless -- and refused to listen to me whatsoever when I told them about the procedure I previously followed to get the credit. I'll call back in the daytime tomorrow to try to get more intelligent life.

All I say about this is "wow." Blackhawk is selling a cashback card that doesn't actually credit cashback, and even if you work your way through their non-intuitive call center procedures, they have employees and supervisors who will tell you you're not entitled to cashback. They deserve to be sued. I wonder how many customers are being swindled.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
They deserve to be sued. I wonder how many customers are being swindled.
My experience was similar to yours, and I was calling late afternoon Pacific time. Could be that their after-hours people are completely clueless. I liquidated 4 more today, hope I don't have to call again next week. They created the problem for themselves by promising 48 hour for cash back deposit. They absolutely deserve to be sued, time spent calling them is worth something.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience was similar to yours, and I was calling late afternoon Pacific time. Could be that their after-hours people are completely clueless. I liquidated 4 more today, hope I don't have to call again next week. They created the problem for themselves by promising 48 hour for cash back deposit. They absolutely deserve to be sued, time spent calling them is worth something.
Well, at least the 48-hour language lets us know the cashback is never coming!

It's pretty astonishing to me that you'd launch this card without checking to make sure the cashback actually worked. And if a glitch occurred, you'd certainly notify your customer service team about the problem and make sure they knew how to handle the customer complaints that would come in. And if you were a decent operator, you'd also put a note on the website apologizing for the glitch and offering an efficient way for customers to get their money.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:59 am

It's pretty astonishing to me that you'd launch this card without checking to make sure the cashback actually worked.
CVS cashback had been working fine until very recently.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
CVS cashback had been working fine until very recently.
Ah, now it's making more sense. Another flyertalker emailed me yesterday to say the he had been consistently getting his cashback. So it seems like the system "broke" just as everyone was getting their $10 off cards with the new supermarket promo. That sucks, but it also helps explain why the call center employees are so clueless.

Of course, it's still a big problem for those of us who just bought the cards and now have this hassle of trying to use them at CVS.

EDIT: I called Blackhawk back this morning and got a MUCH more competent agent. He knew about the procedure to take down my card numbers and issue me a ticket so that the other department could credit me the cashback. So my advice is "call Blackhawk during regular business hours and not during the night."

BTW, still no "automatic" cashback for FiveBack transactions at CVS from a week ago. The current system is definitely still busted.

Last edited by iahphx; Oct 14, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:03 pm

BTW, still no "automatic" cashback for FiveBack transactions at CVS from a week ago. The current system is definitely still busted.
FYI, I just got the $10 cashback automatically posted on the 4 x $200 FiveBack VGC that I used on thursday at CVS. I had pressed credit on the terminal for each one.

Either Blackhawk fixed it, or it makes a difference whether you press credit or debit on the terminal for the automatic cash back.

My CVS purchase last sunday at CVS when I pressed debit and entered pin (last 4) resulted in having to call. But on thursday, I pressed credit. Maybe this will helped someone else.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:09 pm

FYI, I just got the $10 cashback automatically posted on the 4 x $200 FiveBack VGC that I used on thursday at CVS. I had pressed credit on the terminal for each one.

Either Blackhawk fixed it, or it makes a difference whether you press credit or debit on the terminal for the automatic cash back.

My CVS purchase last sunday at CVS when I pressed debit and entered pin (last 4) resulted in having to call. But on thursday, I pressed credit. Maybe this will helped someone else.
I pressed credit on Monday and did not get 5%. So they might fixed it later.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I was able to swipe the $200s one by one with no issues. At each swipe they have to type in last 4 digits of account number, and then it auto-drained. But you have to select credit.
I have another DP to confirm this today. I used 2x200 to buy a OVVGC at CVS. I selected credit after each swipe, then the screen prompted me to hand card to cashier. She (I believe) typed in the last 4 digits of the card. Then onto the next swipe / credit / hand her the card.

EDIT: I got the automatic $10 credit applied today! Transaction was Saturday ~5:30pm and now as of 2:05pm on Monday both my cards show $10 balance.

Last edited by perkunas; Oct 17, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perkunas
I have another DP to confirm this today. I used 2x200 to buy a OVVGC at CVS. I selected credit after each swipe, then the screen prompted me to hand card to cashier. She (I believe) typed in the last 4 digits of the card. Then onto the next swipe / credit / hand her the card.

Transaction was only an hour ago and there is no sign of the 5% back yet. I'll update in a few days if it posts automatically. Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath.
Several CVS transactions in the past week -- no cashback credited. But they're getting more efficient manually processing the "tickets." I received a 24-hour turn the last time. Just don't bother calling for a ticket at any time other than regular business hours -- the second-string doesn't know what to do.

Fingers-crossed that this starts working properly again, as the old-timers say it once did. Of course, the current supermarket promo ends in a few days, at which point I won't be buying any more of these (until the next promo, I guess).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:34 pm

I have not used CVS, but another 5% merchant and got all of my credits automatically except for those purchases made on 10/12. I will call tomorrow during business hours. Thanks everyone for their advice.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

Dear lord people, have some semblance of patience.

Wait a week after liquidating and *then* call if you really need to.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CWAL
Dear lord people, have some semblance of patience.

Wait a week after liquidating and *then* call if you really need to.
Waiting is unlikely to get you your cashback. I was told this by one of their special cashback agents (the department that gets "the tickets"). Even after they fix the problem, they don't seem to have a way to go back and correct the missing cashbacks. Indeed, today, I saw that I got automatic credit cashback for a Friday CVS purchase. But my cashback from purchases made earlier last week was not there.

So I called. If you want to wait, that's certainly your prerogative. I don't think there's any material risk to the program.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Another recent DP- Got $10 back after 2 days on all 10 cards used at CVS on 10/15 and 10/16. Selected credit and each one auto drained. All good for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.