Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by ctdohert2
Were you able to split the payment on the $500 VGC at CVS ? I just tried this evening at the register said full payment required. I'm thinking the cashier did it wrong but just wondering.

Also, what makes these cards more attractive is that at the grocery store when you buy them it is giving Fuelperks...aka Free Gas
Had the same problem last saturday - tried to pay for 2 x $500 OneVanilla with 5 x $200 Five Back . No go. CVS register insisted on full tender. Looks like this is not an option.

In addition, cash back from a CVS purchase is not posting within the promised 48 hour. I think this is a scam, and a class action suit is an order.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by andyandy
I believe that the restriction is on the Bank side. If the merchant isn't coded properly, the card simply won't authorize.

Andyandy
FYI, tried to make a purchase + cash back at register at CVS with the Five Back card. No go, immediate decline. Removed the cash back, and transasction was approved. I don't know how the issuer knows there is cash back or not, but there you have it.

On the other hand, I still haven't gotten the 5% cash back that's supposed to go back 48 hours later.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by madbrain
FYI, tried to make a purchase + cash back at register at CVS with the Five Back card. No go, immediate decline. Removed the cash back, and transasction was approved. I don't know how the issuer knows there is cash back or not, but there you have it.

On the other hand, I still haven't gotten the 5% cash back that's supposed to go back 48 hours later.
All prepaid cards I've ever seen specifically state no cash access and no cash back allowed, often on the back of the card.

When did you do the transactions? I just spent 10 of these at CVS to get 4 x $500. Hopefully rebate posts by early next week.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
All prepaid cards I've ever seen specifically state no cash access and no cash back allowed, often on the back of the card.
Yes, I know, but had to try.

When did you do the transactions? I just spent 10 of these at CVS to get 4 x $500. Hopefully rebate posts by early next week.
Last saturday, it was in my post. Cashier said she did split tender explicitly, but the register insisted on full tender for the OneVanilla $500 VGC. This is not the first report in this thread of this happening - someone else had the same issue.

None of the CVS in my area allow purchasing more than 2 x $500 per visit at a time, also.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:06 am

Yes, I know, but had to try.

Last saturday, it was in my post. Cashier said she did split tender explicitly, but the register insisted on full tender for the OneVanilla $500 VGC. This is not the first report in this thread of this happening - someone else had the same issue.

None of the CVS in my area allow purchasing more than 2 x $500 per visit at a time, also.
I was able to swipe the $200s one by one with no issues. At each swipe they have to type in last 4 digits of account number, and then it auto-drained. But you have to select credit.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Oct 13, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by pkerr
Out of curiosity... what happened when you tried to buy something? Error message from the card reader?
As I recall, it was "Not Authorized"
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:29 am

Andyandy

P.S. I expect that the $10 will earn an additional $0.50, but I'll likely abandon that on the card.[/QUOTE]

You can reload that to your Amazon balance.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:51 am

Doesn't anyone know the first two rules of five club? Sheeeeeesh...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:01 pm

I was able to swipe the $200s one by one with no issues. At each swipe they have to type in last 4 digits of account number, and then it auto-drained. But you have to select credit.
Thanks for the tip ! I had selected debit on the terminal, maybe that is why. Will try again today, and if it doesn't work, go to Post office. I still have 4 x $200 to liquidate.

Did you end up actually getting 5% back on your VGC purchases ?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the tip ! I had selected debit on the terminal, maybe that is why. Will try again today, and if it doesn't work, go to Post office. I still have 4 x $200 to liquidate.

Did you end up actually getting 5% back on your VGC purchases ?
Not yet, it's only been a day or two. If it doesn't work automatically you can call in and read off all the card numbers to the account managers and they should be able to manually for the 5%.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:10 pm

Not yet, it's only been a day or two. If it doesn't work automatically you can call in and read off all the card numbers to the account managers and they should be able to manually for the 5%.
That certainly wasn't my experience, the CSRs in El Salvador could not manually add the 5% when I called yesterday. See earlier message from me in this thread. They just gave me an incident number and said they would get back to me within 2 business days.

They did call back, about an hour ago. Nice surprise, they posted the cash back not only for the $97.59 purchase I made last sunday, but also the $102.41 purchase I made yesterday (which was for a VGC). Full $10 cash back posted all at once. Now on to liquidating the other four Five Back cards. Hope I don't have to call again.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:31 pm

Yes I hear it has to be escalated to manager level sometimes. Not El Salvador, but people high up in Blackhawk. We'll see.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:53 pm

Yes I hear it has to be escalated to manager level sometimes. Not El Salvador, but people high up in Blackhawk. We'll see.
FYI, the voice mail I got back was from a local US number in California, and the voice was that of an American lady. Hopefully it works seamlessly next time. Maybe the automated cash back only works when you press credit rather than debit ?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:57 pm

We shall see. I'll give it until monday before calling.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:05 pm

Went back to the same CVS today, same cashier. I selected credit. Was able to get 2 x $500 OneVanilla. The split tender worked. I used 6 cards, the 4 x $200 Five Back, $96.56 VGC I bought yesterday with the first Five Back, and Fidelity 2% VISA for the remainder.

Then, I went to the post office and got a $998.40 money order. Split tender too, no issue. Deposited to the Chase next door to the PO. Finally done with that liquidation ! Now let's see if I get the other $40 of cash back on Five Back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.