Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Walmart apparently working on a fix to stop accepting Visa GC to load Bluebird

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt

Hello folks,

On 7/30/16, I visited a Walmart to load my Bluebird when the rep at the money center, quite knowledgable in the practice of manufacturing spending and using Bluebird to pay merchants that don't accept CC, informed me that the end of loading with Visa GCs is coming. Apparently Walmart had sent a memo out covering manufacturing spending and fraud, and the intent of doing their part by working on a fix to not allow Visa GC to load Bluebird. I does not seems there is a date yet, but the fact that coorporate sent a letter is a warning sign that the end is coming. I did not see the letter personally, but the way the details were explained to me it sounded very real.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has more information on this. Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It was always only a matter of time before WM put an end to it. Hit it hard and fast!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Is this bluebird specific?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by kenme1
It was always only a matter of time before WM put an end to it. Hit it hard and fast!
This.

One AM told me this back in 2014 and it's been so long and up to now, they have not stopped the loading of BBs with VGCs.

I'm not saying this won't ever happen so if there's something to learn from this is for those whose only route to drain is through loading VGCs at WM, do NOT hoard VGCs in amounts you can't float to keep you out of CC debts.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
I cannot confirm one way or the other

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Is this bluebird specific?
Honestly, I do not know if there are other services included in the communication she referenced.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Let's hope this doesn't affect MO.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:51 am

Surprised WM decided to do something about BB now; Most folks who MSed had their BBs shut down 6+ month ago...hopefully MOs are not being targeted.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:46 pm

I doubt Walmart really cares about MS. But they're in a war with Visa over fees, and maybe they're looking for any way to hurt Visa.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by 7trk
Honestly, I do not know if there are other services included in the communication she referenced.
Chime cards can no longer be reloaded at WM with VGC. Whether it is temporary to today (it worked fine within the last week - tried two different WM since OP) or coincidental (or not), its not working. Other loadable VISA still work. All other usual means work fine.

Edit: It was an odd rejection with the Chime card too - said approved on my end and then the tiniest receipt came out (smaller than the normal small ones if something gets screwed up). Said declined - call authorizer. One of the WM i went to today had the old terminals and one had the new terminals. On the new terminals, the cashier couldn't even swipe Chime on her side, while on the old terminal they still could. Also, the cashier said WM had been rolling out lots of updates for the registers over last couple of days. I don't think this is a VISA-specific thing as another reloadable VISA worked perfectly once the Chime was rejected twice.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Jul 31, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Surprised WM decided to do something about BB now; Most folks who MSed had their BBs shut down 6+ month ago...hopefully MOs are not being targeted.
Agreed. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Let's hope this doesn't affect MO.
That's my only concern here since I lost my Serve account in the first wave of shutdowns.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Surprised WM decided to do something about BB now; Most folks who MSed had their BBs shut down 6+ month ago.
Between the double-tap on the BBs and removal of so many KATES, I didn't think there were all that many still loading VGCs to BBs anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
I doubt Walmart really cares about MS. But they're in a war with Visa over fees, and maybe they're looking for any way to hurt Visa.
They have been feudin' for a while now.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:58 am

What about loading VGCs to GoBank cards?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:39 am

If GC don't work for Serve/BB, I suspect it'll affect MO as well. It's the same system, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.