Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying Mortgage Thread Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Paying Mortgage Thread Ideas

Newish to the forum, apologies if this has been already talked about in length, but I did a search and did not find anything 'recent'. And I mean recent because the recent lockdowns on Gift cards and such, making MS much more difficult.

But one thing I'm sure many of us have in common are mortgages. I pay ~$2k a month via direct deposit. I toyed around the idea of Plastiq or TIO, but everytime I get close to signing up, I read a series of negative horror stories of people whose checks went missing or never event sent the check out to the bank and now are getting their credit scores pummeled and months of headache sorting it out.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas or suggestions on knocking out several $100k's worth of spend with little fee i.e. 3% or less?

Can anyone attest to the customer service or personal experience of using the payment services i.e. TIO or Plastiq?

Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've never explored paying my mortgage this way, partly because it's only $1k/month and also because I get an annual rebate from Chase by having my mortgage payment direct debited from my Chase checking account. Risk/reward isn't in my favor by effing with that. Every once in a while I'll make an additional principal payment and to do that I'll buy a $1000 money order with my Suntrust debit card and pay with that.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've never explored paying my mortgage this way, partly because it's only $1k/month and also because I get an annual rebate from Chase by having my mortgage payment direct debited from my Chase checking account. Risk/reward isn't in my favor by effing with that. Every once in a while I'll make an additional principal payment and to do that I'll buy a $1000 money order with my Suntrust debit card and pay with that.
My mortgage is with Chase too, but don't do the direct debit.

How much rebate do you get?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:27 am

I have a direct debit from DCU for my mortgage payment. My mortgage payment is around 3K and I deposit the MO's to DCU every month and that will be used for my mortgage payment. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ramamosn
I have a direct debit from DCU for my mortgage payment. My mortgage payment is around 3K and I deposit the MO's to DCU every month and that will be used for my mortgage payment. Hope this helps.
May I ask what is a DCU? Digital Federal Credit Union? Do you buy MO's with a CC, or do you first buy the gift cards with CC, then deposit into your bank, and then use that to the mortgage?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:39 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I consider mortgage payments to be a nice, easy additional method to liquidate MO's. I pay directly to the mortgage holder, usually for principal reduction, sometimes for monthly payments. I'm focusing on paying off a rental mortgage, with a fairly high interest rate, so I just chug along sending MO's when ever I can, to pay it off. Back in the day, I used Vanilla Reloads, Evolve and Bluebird/serve to chip away at this particular mortgage. As we all know, those easy, MS-from-home days are gone. I like to keep the numbers nice and round, in increments of $500, since my easy-to-get MO's are in $500 denominations.

You can "round up" your mortgage by adding the taxes and insurance to the monthly payment. If it brings it close(r) to an increment of $500, it might be worth the trouble. If you pitch in the difference towards principal reduction, you'll slightly offset the MS costs by lowering your principal balance, as well as building a sound financial future by paying off your mortgage debt.

If you deposit the MO's to a bank account and then use the resulting balance to pay the mortgage, you haven't really circumvented anything. You've transformed CC purchases into MO's and deposited them into your bank. Basic MS. If you pay the mortgage directly, you are skipping the "deposit to a checking account" step, which is a step that people can be wary of.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I consider mortgage payments to be a nice, easy additional method to liquidate MO's. I pay directly to the mortgage holder, usually for principal reduction, sometimes for monthly payments. I'm focusing on paying off a rental mortgage, with a fairly high interest rate, so I just chug along sending MO's when ever I can, to pay it off. Back in the day, I used Vanilla Reloads, Evolve and Bluebird/serve to chip away at this particular mortgage. As we all know, those easy, MS-from-home days are gone. I like to keep the numbers nice and round, in increments of $500, since my easy-to-get MO's are in $500 denominations.

You can "round up" your mortgage by adding the taxes and insurance to the monthly payment. If it brings it close(r) to an increment of $500, it might be worth the trouble. If you pitch in the difference towards principal reduction, you'll slightly offset the MS costs by lowering your principal balance, as well as building a sound financial future by paying off your mortgage debt.

If you deposit the MO's to a bank account and then use the resulting balance to pay the mortgage, you haven't really circumvented anything. You've transformed CC purchases into MO's and deposited them into your bank. Basic MS. If you pay the mortgage directly, you are skipping the "deposit to a checking account" step, which is a step that people can be wary of.
I agree.

I have my mortgage with chase and they let you split the MOs to pay mortgage and credit cards.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:51 pm

Plastiq is slow but I have been paying over 5k/month mortgage for about a year now, no major issues. I have only had issue with promo rates and customer service is great. Signed up when they had a promo and the honor the rate if you set it up as recurring. I now pay all my bills that dont take a credit card through plastiq with gift cards. I would imagine its a pain if a physical check disapears. I have heard you need to save the gift cards. They wlll void any uncashed checks but they return the funds to original payment.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lumangoy
My mortgage is with Chase too, but don't do the direct debit.

How much rebate do you get?
It's not too much, 1% back on my payments and applied to my principal balance. So principal + interest for the preceding 12 months * 1%.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:03 pm

...You could just *not* pay your mortgage.. Imagine all that $$$$ you'll save from living for FREE for 3+ years.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:23 am
jyx

Wouldn't mortgage companies frown at MO payments? Don't risk having mortgage account closed because of this.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can a mortgage holder close your account unilaterally for paying?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:31 pm

I've been paying my mortgage with Plastiq for months and have never had an issue. In fact, my mortgage company is partnered with Plastiq and it only takes about 4 business days for the transaction to go through. (Checks take about two weeks - one auto payment and my student loan require a check to be mailed.) It's normally a 2.5% fee, but I have been using referrals to get the FFD (fee free dollars) and can usually get that 2.5% down to less than 1%. Some months, I have no fee at all! I find the customer service spot on and trust them with my payments for my auto loans, mortgage and student loans. Love Plastiq!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jyx
Wouldn't mortgage companies frown at MO payments? Don't risk having mortgage account closed because of this.
Having a mortgage account closed would be the best case scenario. POOF! and your mortgage is gone. Imagine that.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego

This is great info! Sorry I'm new too. So say I have a mortgage that basically rounds to a few increments of $500 how do I proceed? Buy VGCs, get MOs and deposit them to my mortgage account? Are there any specifics I should know? Like where to best buy these VGCs? Where is it best to convert them to MOs? Do I need to list my banks name on these MOs? Sorry, simple questions, but I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.