Any viable MS avenues for ~3% fee?

Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Any viable MS avenues for ~3% fee?

Hey, please forgive the annoying newb thread here, but I am not a big MSer at all. Please don't crucify me as I contribute a lot in other forums here, I think

I got myself in just a bit over my head in churning and need to make approx. $8500 in spend over the next 3 months and would prefer that the majority of this be via MS. I'm not really willing to do the money order shuffle, and I'm not in a position to float this much at the moment, so not looking to delay spend by buying a bunch of Amex GC or prepaying bills. I'm seeking to get this done quickly and am completely willing to eat a 3% or so fee.

Square Cash isn't letting me add a CC to my account, Google Wallet has apparently killed CC loads from my FT research, PayPal is liable to shut me down from what I understand, and Venmo is something I don't know much about. Any way to get this done and pay a fee to do so?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:42 pm

Lots of good ones for a lot less than 3%.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Awesome; if I had any idea what they are, this thread wouldn't exist.

Considering Plastiq to pay my mortgage, but it's only $397 a month (LOL Ohio). Target/WM gift card reselling maybe? I have no Serve - was shut down in the first wave.

My first instinct was PayPal p2p transfers but can't afford to have funds frozen (see the inability to float above).

Again, I'm well aware of the GC-MO shuffle, but would rather pay a fee and never deal with that.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:14 pm

Pay estimated federal taxes with a credit card for around 1.80% fee. If you over pay, you'll get the money back in 2017
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Pay estimated federal taxes with a credit card for around 1.80% fee. If you over pay, you'll get the money back in 2017
OP did say he can't float all of the money.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:47 pm

If you don't have the risk tolerance to float money, you're kinda out of luck. Any way you MS this money has the possibility of having your funds frozen. Some ways are going to have less of a chance than others. The only surefire way to have a 0% chance of anything bad happening would be to use organic spending and not any type of manufactured spending.

IMO the lowest chance of having any problems is GC-MO-Bank (which you said you didn't want to do), or Venmo, but you need a very highly trusted family member or friend involved for this. Also not sure what Venmo's tolerance is for this.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:53 pm

shouldnt be too hard if you know someone in a college that charges a certain % for credit card payments. (if they dont charge anything extra then the person probably will decline your request... unless they dont use CC at all).
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Several dozen
ST CC funding FI accounts comes to mind, but way more effort than GC-MO.

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Hey, please forgive the annoying newb thread here, but I am not a big MSer at all. Please don't crucify me as I contribute a lot in other forums here, I think

I got myself in just a bit over my head in churning and need to make approx. $8500 in spend over the next 3 months and would prefer that the majority of this be via MS. I'm not really willing to do the money order shuffle, and I'm not in a position to float this much at the moment, so not looking to delay spend by buying a bunch of Amex GC or prepaying bills. I'm seeking to get this done quickly and am completely willing to eat a 3% or so fee.

Square Cash isn't letting me add a CC to my account, Google Wallet has apparently killed CC loads from my FT research, PayPal is liable to shut me down from what I understand, and Venmo is something I don't know much about. Any way to get this done and pay a fee to do so?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:25 am

The best way to use plastiq for that much in such a short amount of time is for loans like a 401k loan where you are paying the interest to yourself.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:35 am

Overpay a bill and ask for a refund. If you usde a payment processor your refund wil be in check form. Or open a bank account that accepts creidt card funding (Do your research and verify that your card process as a purchase).
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:45 am

Open a couple bank accounts. Fund with credit card. Done. 0% fee.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-f...-cash-advance/
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:46 am

What is the Money Order shuffle, is that the less than 5 minutes it takes to go in and get $2k in MO's???? Over the next 90 days I assume you will be in an multiple areas where this is possible.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
What is the Money Order shuffle, is that the less than 5 minutes it takes to go in and get $2k in MO's???? Over the next 90 days I assume you will be in an multiple areas where this is possible.
Some people aren't willing to deal with money orders for reasons other than availability. Whatever his reason is it doesn't matter, he stated his terms clearly upfront, so it is not our mission to convince him to do what he already doesn't want to do.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing, everyone - I appreciate the suggestions.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:51 am

Let us know how u make out man. I'm new to this too and opened up 4 CC's with 6,750 in min spend in 3 months. Would have been closer to 8k, had the 2nd CITI Card been approved, but as I learned, Only 1 Citi CC per day and I applied to all 5 in the same day.

So far I knocked out 2k in organic spend in the first 2 wks and ~5k to go. I did prepay a bunch of utilities 1 month in advance. My mortgage and maintenance is 3k (oh New York, no LOL) so that will be my last resort.

On my second churn, I'm thinking of being a little more aggressive and using a payment processor to pay that Mortgage and Mtce to churn up to 7 or 8 cards. The 3% would be like $90/month, but if I get 600-900 in rewards each month, it would be worth it, IMO.
But still learning about MS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.