FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Manufactured Spend with Rental Properties* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1774025-manufactured-spend-rental-properties.html)

Matt Newman Jun 23, 2016 11:09 am

Manufactured Spend with Rental Properties*

Hi All,

I own 14 rentals and my contractors do quite a bit of rehabbing with them. My most lucrative route to get points is through Bold Ink at office supply stores for gift cards for my rehabs. I'm looking for another MS or way to build points in the real estate area. Has anyone had success anywhere? Would love to hear from a few who are!

Cheers!

fumnibbler Jun 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 26820610)
Hi All,

I own 14 rentals and my contractors do quite a bit of rehabbing with them. My most lucrative route to get points is through Bold Ink at office supply stores for gift cards for my rehabs. I'm looking for another MS or way to build points in the real estate area. Has anyone had success anywhere? Would love to hear from a few who are!

Cheers!

That would depend on what cards you have. I used a 2% card today to pay for a new A/C unit at rental.

Alcibiades Jun 24, 2016 12:03 am

Doesnt Ink Bold have a yearly spending/point limit ?

Mystiqz Jun 24, 2016 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades (Post 26823442)
Doesnt Ink Bold have a yearly spending/point limit ?

50K @ 5x

sammycat Jun 24, 2016 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 26820610)
Hi All,

Cheers!

What giftcards do you buy most often for such activities? Home Depot/Lowes?

ostornadoe1 Jun 25, 2016 7:09 pm

You could open new CCs with your LLC or whatever else your business is that you're renting these properties out under. Signup bonuses are worth so much more than normal spending bonuses...

Matt Newman Jun 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey guys -- thanks for the notes. I have opened up bold inks for each of my three businesses so I am capped at $150k spend a year (I don't hit that much... about $70k spend tops, which is where most of my points come from).

Yes, I purchase Lowes GCs from Office Depot usually and use those for materials -- give them to my contractors to purchase materials. This is nice because they don't have my credit card and only have a set amount depending on our bid.

My current cards are bold ink (3 business ones), and several other Chase cards. I am capped at Chase cards for the next year -- over the alloted amount they give you in a 2 year period.

I have mercedez platinum, two SPG cards, a hyatt card, a hilton card.

That's all. Wasn't sure if there was another card that may be beneficial. The bold ink is my primary card but not everything I do requires a gift card. Also, for paying mortgages, etc., does anyone have any suggestions?

windowandaisleseatonly Jun 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Buy money orders and unload them on your mortgage. I do this for my primary cuz my loan got sold to Wells Fargo. I go to the branch and This generates 2500 of 5% cash back category spend for me a month via obc.

Another way is to buy discounted gift cards with the vgc via the online brokerages. You can either use it (home Depot or lowes) or You can also gift/donate to charity at full face value.

PenneyPincher Jun 28, 2016 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Mystiqz (Post 26823598)
50K @ 5x

This is what I do... buy those materials with GC that were purchased with 5% CB card...

you can grow that discount even more with a little creative thinking...

and, that's all I have to say about that.

PenneyPincher Jun 28, 2016 5:22 am

Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly (Post 26834892)
Buy money orders and unload them on your mortgage. I do this for my primary cuz my loan got sold to Wells Fargo. I go to the branch and This generates 2500 of 5% cash back category spend for me a month via obc.

Another way is to buy discounted gift cards with the vgc via the online brokerages. You can either use it (home Depot or lowes) or You can also gift/donate to charity at full face value.

And this too...

fumnibbler Jun 28, 2016 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 26834564)
Hey guys -- thanks for the notes. I have opened up bold inks for each of my three businesses so I am capped at $150k spend a year (I don't hit that much... about $70k spend tops, which is where most of my points come from).

Yes, I purchase Lowes GCs from Office Depot usually and use those for materials -- give them to my contractors to purchase materials. This is nice because they don't have my credit card and only have a set amount depending on our bid.

My current cards are bold ink (3 business ones), and several other Chase cards. I am capped at Chase cards for the next year -- over the alloted amount they give you in a 2 year period.

I have mercedez platinum, two SPG cards, a hyatt card, a hilton card.

That's all. Wasn't sure if there was another card that may be beneficial. The bold ink is my primary card but not everything I do requires a gift card. Also, for paying mortgages, etc., does anyone have any suggestions?

You can do a lot better purchasing them online than at Office Depot.

Matt Newman Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm

There are no fees on the office depot lowes cards but yes, Staples sells in bigger quantities which I have now transitioned to. PenneyPincher -- do you mind if I DM you on the next step. It sounds like you're doing something similar.

riverdoglb Jun 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly (Post 26834892)

You use your OBC to buy money orders directly at the branch? Or just the usual purchase of gebit to money order? Or am I misunderstanding?

fumnibbler Jun 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 26844057)
There are no fees on the office depot lowes cards but yes, Staples sells in bigger quantities which I have now transitioned to. PenneyPincher -- do you mind if I DM you on the next step. It sounds like you're doing something similar.

But online they are 10-15% off... Where in store you just get the cash back, I doubt you're getting 10-15% cash back at Offife Depot.

windowandaisleseatonly Jul 7, 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by riverdoglb (Post 26844158)
You use your OBC to buy money orders directly at the branch? Or just the usual purchase of gebit to money order? Or am I misunderstanding?

Vgc-> MO -> mortgage