Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Pushing or Pulling? What do you prefer to pay your cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
I prefer pushing to pulling, but then again, you dont always have a choice.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC

Just curious if anyone has opinions on if it is safer to push or pull payments from your bank account. Like most people here we put nearly everything we can on credit cards...I usually simply log into each credit card once a week and pay off whatever balance has posted...so if you log into our main bank account you see our automated deposits from our work and then almost every other line item is "chase epay", "discover e-payment", "Amex epayment". It has been like this for multiple years and not a peep from the bank (WF). Just wondering if I should be using their "Bill Pay" option to push instead of having straight pulls....sure there is some MS involved...but 90% of it is paying off real life credit spend....also, sorry if this is the wrong section...I wasn't sure where else to put it, and no one would know more about best practices of paying the CC than the seasoned MS'rs
Old May 29, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
In terms of risk of CC closure, I don't think there's a difference. Some people don't like pull payments because you give the CC company access to your checking account, and once they have that they could theoretically take whatever they want. IMO with the regulatory protections that exist for customers in the banking industry, this is hardly a risk.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
In terms of risk of CC closure, I don't think there's a difference. Some people don't like pull payments because you give the CC company access to your checking account, and once they have that they could theoretically take whatever they want. IMO with the regulatory protections that exist for customers in the banking industry, this is hardly a risk.
Yeah, I was/am thinking of more concern about possibly off WF for basically doing constant pulls.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by air360
Just curious if anyone has opinions on if it is safer to push or pull payments from your bank account. Like most people here we put nearly everything we can on credit cards...I usually simply log into each credit card once a week and pay off whatever balance has posted...so if you log into our main bank account you see our automated deposits from our work and then almost every other line item is "chase epay", "discover e-payment", "Amex epayment". It has been like this for multiple years and not a peep from the bank (WF). Just wondering if I should be using their "Bill Pay" option to push instead of having straight pulls....sure there is some MS involved...but 90% of it is paying off real life credit spend....also, sorry if this is the wrong section...I wasn't sure where else to put it, and no one would know more about best practices of paying the CC than the seasoned MS'rs
I personally always push payments from my banks' bill payment service mainly for the security aspect of not giving my routing and acct number to so many different financial companies. While very low, any breach could expose my routing and account number. Naturally, every time I give another financial institution my routing and account number for pull payments I am increasing my risk of breach exposure. This is simply not worth it in my opinion. Also, my bank's bill payment system allows me to download all of my pdf statements for electronic payments so it is very convenient to have one place where all of this is stored rather than have to login to perhaps 20 different credit card websites.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8illy
I personally always push payments from my banks' bill payment service mainly for the security aspect of not giving my routing and acct number to so many different financial companies. While very low, any breach could expose my routing and account number. Naturally, every time I give another financial institution my routing and account number for pull payments I am increasing my risk of breach exposure. This is simply not worth it in my opinion. Also, my bank's bill payment system allows me to download all of my pdf statements for electronic payments so it is very convenient to have one place where all of this is stored rather than have to login to perhaps 20 different credit card websites.
Good explanation and reasoning! Thanks for the input!
Old May 29, 2016, 12:22 pm

I pull payments by initiating the transaction from my credit card companies. In the event that anything happens, the card company should have a record of the transaction and know that I had actually initiated the payment.

Contrast the bill payment features. They often do have some form of guarantee, but I always figured that it would be easier to deal with the card company so that they don't charge a fee [for late payment] as opposed to dealing with the bill payment service to get them to reimburse me.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Honestly, I wasn't even aware of this "push" option. I always thought the only way was to Pay at the CC company's website. That's how I always do it.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ram Trucks
Honestly, I wasn't even aware of this "push" option. I always thought the only way was to Pay at the CC company's website. That's how I always do it.
From your other posts, you've indicated that you've mailed in checks or money orders to your credit card company. That's technically a form of a push payment. The difference is that that was paper instead of digital.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:40 pm

I always have auto-pull enabled. Even if I would prefer manual "push" pay I would still allow minimum auto-payment. This will always make sure that I never miss a (minimum) payment which is crucial.
Old May 29, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Phantom707
From your other posts, you've indicated that you've mailed in checks or money orders to your credit card company. That's technically a form of a push payment. The difference is that that was paper instead of digital.
I was referring to Paying online. Sure, I've mailed MO's, but I was under the impression that the only way to Pay a CC bill online, was through the CC company's (e.g. Discover's) website. Whenever I did online Payments, thats how I did it, and I assumed that was the only way.
Old May 29, 2016, 4:39 pm

Push and pull.. Keep em thinking
Old May 29, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPointCharlie
Push and pull.. Keep em thinking
Hahaha
That gave me a visual of a group of bank or credit card employees all crowded around one computer screen in anticipation and placing bets with each other on what the next transaction will be...a push or a pull. Then half jumping for joy when you make a move and the other half disappointed and upset they lost the bet.
Sorry...slow afternoon lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.