Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What is the default PIN for Mastercard and American Express gift cards?

Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

This question seems so simple that I'm ashamed that I havn't found the answer in almost an hour of online research. I know Visa is the last 4 digit of the card, but what about MasterCard and American Express?

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:24 am

Mastercards have a PIN attached (in the packaging) to the GCs, American Express GCs don't have a PIN.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zgirl
Mastercards have a PIN attached (in the packaging) to the GCs, American Express GCs don't have a PIN.
Thanks! Guess Amex will be impossible to liquidate conventionally...I'm so stupid I went to buy MC giftcards at Staples for the rebate but bought Amex instead! Saturday mornings fml.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:59 am

You can still use the AmEx card to pay bills online, right??? So it's not a TOTAL bust!!
Old May 1, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by raceman94
You can still use the AmEx card to pay bills online, right??? So it's not a TOTAL bust!!
You can use Amex cards to pay online bills in the same way you can use any Amex credit card to pay online bills. If there was no bonus on purchasing the Amex gift card, then yes, it is a bust. If there was a bonus, then no.

The differentiation is not based on payment network. Not all Visa cards have a PIN of the last four digits.

Not all MasterCards have a preset PIN on a piece of paper.

It's not based on payment network.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:12 am

When I bought giftcards from AAA, I had to call and set the PIN.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Zgirl
The Amex PIN is known a CID it is the 4 digit number on the front of the card.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:32 am

Prepaid MasterCards and Visa cards are debit cards and do have a PIN that can be used for debit-based transactions (like bill payments and money orders at SOME places). AmEx prepaid cards are not debit cards and don't have a PIN. Yes, they have a 4-digit number on the front that can be used where the CID/CVV2 number is requested for a card-not-present transaction (like online or by phone). That's like the 3-digit code on the back of MC/Visa cards. But it is NOT a PIN and can't be used for a debit transaction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.