Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by McCoy
Comment from Amex on twitter:
Ha ! Fame at last !

I'd love to know what the issue with support / service is. However, I will be asking for a refund in the next week or so. With no Amex support it isn't useful to me.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:42 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Looking at the amex twitter feed, it seems there are a few people asking for clarification there. Don't think we will get a straight answer (yet), if any, but it does seem to have made some noise.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:46 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Nail.In.Coffin.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I am holding it out. Whilst the Amex usage was a big bonus, I can still use the card to my benefit. As it was a one off £35 I am happy to take the hit if they fail.

I have other reward cards where I can save on FX by using Curve abroad but still count towards my target, IF I need to.

Also useful for the odd bill that will only take debit cards - although I do appreciate some places are incorrectly seeing I as a credit card.

Could Amex come back on board in a few months and the Curve card costs increase for new customers?
Old May 24, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I wonder was Amex p*ssed off that Curve has no phone support at all, so anyone with issues due to double charging or refund problems, were phoning amex, using up their resources which Amex would feel is something that Curve should be dealing with.

You get a double charge, specifically a large amount, you likely want to speak to a real person on the phone, not send an email / app message, not knowing if or when it will be read/responded.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:01 am

No phone support is just amateur hour for a company that is in the financial sector.

As for the refund on the wallet they better accept the wallets back used or not as otherwise I am sure amex's refund policy will be applied and they won't like that!
Old May 24, 2016, 7:34 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by Tootsy
As for the refund on the wallet they better accept the wallets back used or not as otherwise I am sure amex's refund policy will be applied and they won't like that!
This occurred to me too. It's cheeky for them to expect we took the wallets out of the box, left them in a drawer somewhere and didn't take out the packaging. If I decide to cancel mine (still on the fence...), I will be sending the wallet back too, otherwise will be contacting Amex for a refund.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:33 am

If anyone believed the statement Raffles was given on the first page about the Amex wording being a mistake on the website, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

This afternoon Curve made their introduction video on their home page 'private' to stop it being viewed, and replaced it with a new one - that was shot at the same time but has no mention of Amex and new screenshots with people using Virgin Money cards rather than American Express.

The divorce with Amex was clearly a long time coming.

(Note that even though they put the description up this afternoon they still claim there's no fees for using credit cards in home country ATMs)
Old May 24, 2016, 10:54 am

Another thing is the credit limits being given are too low for business users but the kicker is that the limit is a 30 day rolling one, as you can't pay it off then if you spend £5k in two days you have to wait 29 days for it to reset.

I have also heard of ridiculous requests to verify the card, anyone who got the wallet should seek a refund too hard to recap £75.

Its also only a matter of time before retailers block the whole card range as its the merchants that are being charged the most with Curve and severely risky to try and bet your whole business model on it.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by parklife
I am holding it out. Whilst the Amex usage was a big bonus, I can still use the card to my benefit. As it was a one off £35 I am happy to take the hit if they fail.

I have other reward cards where I can save on FX by using Curve abroad but still count towards my target, IF I need to.

Also useful for the odd bill that will only take debit cards - although I do appreciate some places are incorrectly seeing I as a credit card.

Could Amex come back on board in a few months and the Curve card costs increase for new customers?
Me too, the card has been very lucrative. Even if Amex don't return, which I hope they do, there are still opportunities out there currently
Some very cynical posters around today
Old May 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by 710 77345
If anyone believed the statement Raffles was given on the first page about the Amex wording being a mistake on the website, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

This afternoon Curve made their introduction video on their home page 'private' to stop it being viewed, and replaced it with a new one - that was shot at the same time but has no mention of Amex and new screenshots with people using Virgin Money cards rather than American Express.

The divorce with Amex was clearly a long time coming.
Even the CEO admits this (From Twitter)

"
@amexuk approached us a few weeks ago with concerns about ensuring a seamless customer support process for its Members when using its Card with Curve. We’re continuing discussions & hope that American Express decide to bring Curve back soon. We're building something big, and new, and we can only overcome such hurdles with the help of our community."
Old May 24, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I had contacted customer support 3 times to get a refund. I never used or activated my card. As soon as the limit of £200 in cash withdrawals a month was added to the T&C's I was out. But I have never received one reply. Luckily in today's email the CEO of the company has inserted his personal email so I have informed him that I will be expecting my £35 returned sharpish or it's off to the FSO.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:38 pm

What an utter shambles they've been from start to finish, and I'd say they're definitely nearly finished!

They don't deserve to succeed. Really is sad because it was such a great concept!
Old May 24, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Revolut seems to be a better forex card imo.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Revolut seems to be a better forex card imo.
I liked the concept of Revolut and ordered a card. But their customer support was a joke because when I called for support on a declined transaction I was asked to leave a voicemail and someone would get back to me in 24 hours. Annoying and embarrassing when I'm standing at a checkout counter trying to buy some groceries with people queuing behind you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.