Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Old May 24, 2016, 3:26 am

Sad day but not surprising. No use for Curve now without Amex support, I'll be cancelling as well
Old May 24, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BreezeMC
The question is, do we keep the card and hold out on news that AMEX are back onboard or just cancel as the likelyhood is that this won't happen.
I'm cancelling after Amex gets switched off next week - refunds are being offered (I wonder if we will ever see them) and can always rejoin if they ever get their act together.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:30 am

The question is, do we keep the card and hold out on news that AMEX are back onboard or just cancel as the likelyhood is that this won't happen.
The odds Amex returns any time soon are minimal, to say the least.

Curve are BS merchants of the highest order. Check your app, and in your account under Free Cash it still says that you get a referral bonus when your referrer uses their card. Check out the website, and click on Meet Curve - it goes on about how there's no FX fees when you use this card. Check out your batch email, and how it promises your card will be dispatch first class.

From the big picture to the tiny details, these guys mislead at every turn. I don't have faith in the CEO's positive language used to talk about a contract coming to an end, sorry paused.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
It's a 35 quid risk but I agree, I'd rather not take that bet. You can always sign up again if they get it sorted out.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
The wording relating to hoping that amex returns is in the open email from the CEO.

There is no wording of hope or expectation of amex returning in the official customer email. In that email, Amex acceptance is described as a feature lost and a hope that you stay for other benefits.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by 710 77345
The odds Amex returns any time soon are minimal, to say the least.

Curve are BS merchants of the highest order. Check your app, and in your account under Free Cash it still says that you get a referral bonus when your referrer uses their card. Check out the website, and click on Meet Curve - it goes on about how there's no FX fees when you use this card. Check out your batch email, and how it promises your card will be dispatch first class.

From the big picture to the tiny details, these guys mislead at every turn. I don't have faith in the CEO's positive language used to talk about a contract coming to an end, sorry paused.
But to be fair, it came in a damn nice box, so they got the priorities right.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: Former holder of many statuses, less so now
I wonder if they will suddenly get a run of people hitting cash machines. It could prompt them to revise the cut-off date if people do.

I also don't fancy being the intern that has been assigned to handle social media at Curve today!

Last edited by MrDooog; May 24, 2016 at 5:09 am Reason: spelling!
Old May 24, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Freccia Alata
There is also that mixed message but it does say in that email "American Express have asked us to pause their functionality with Curve" so this does suggest that they are still trying to work on a solution, hopefully.

Still very annoying indeed.

Originally Posted by tangey
The wording relating to hoping that amex returns is in the open email from the CEO.

There is no wording of hope or expectation of amex returning in the official customer email. In that email, Amex acceptance is described as a feature lost and a hope that you stay for other benefits.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I thought Curve had a representative on FT?

If so, where is that person?

M
Old May 24, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I am cancelling, the ability to recharge to my BA Amex was the only benefit for me as I have a 0% foreign exchange credit card and I use an AA visa as my fallback for places like B&Q who don't accept Amex. Frustrated by the Ł5k monthly limit which meant the eye-watering payment for my daughters car insurance was refused.

I have spent around Ł4100 in the last month so even if I don't end up getting the money back, it's 6150 Avios for Ł35 less the pathetic amount of AA miles I would have earned. In addition, they all fell at the start of my BA 2-4-1 year so I am 60% the way to getting that too.

Shame really as I thought this was the solution to shops not accepting Amex.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
There is also that mixed message but it does say in that email "American Express have asked us to pause their functionality with Curve" so this does suggest that they are still trying to work on a solution, hopefully.
I wonder if that is PR BS - in the same way as failed US presidential candidates "suspend" their campaigns rather than end them.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:30 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I wonder if that is PR BS - in the same way as failed US presidential candidates "suspend" their campaigns rather than end them.
That's what I feared...

This is very disappointing news. I really wished it would work out for Curve, but alas they are now destined for the trash can. It really was great while it lasted.

Last edited by rum; May 24, 2016 at 5:05 am
Old May 24, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rum
That's what I feared...

It really was great while it lasted.
Which wasn't very long for those of us who waited over 2 months for the card to arrive (without the wallet and were charged twice for it).
Old May 24, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Comment from Amex on twitter:
Attached Images  
Old May 24, 2016, 6:12 am

Just wow!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.