Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
200£ limit

Its already updated in their website under FUP.

They are rolling back on promises even before card getting delivered to beta customers. Not a great proposition

As amex usage is the selling point - 200£ effectively makes the card worthless when travelling (esp to a country where Card payments arent the norm)
WolfvanWeen likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:36 am
cjt

Even with the 2% amex charge (now confirmed on their website) I think this is still a decent product for newcomers to the hobby like me.

With a selection of Amex, airline and hotel cards I can get near 100k avios from sign-up bonuses with a ~£6000 total ATM withdrawal (over time of course).

That works out at £120 or 0.12p/avios = a very good deal!

For everyone that has exhausted the sign-up bonuses however, I can't see this being very useful anymore as pure MS will be difficult with the 2%.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
For me its more about their credibility - having a U Turn within a month of beta launch certainly raise worries on the sustainability of the programme.

Theres lot of posts about declines in twitter in the recent days - i believe as more cards are getting distributed their auth systems are taking a hit leading to declines.

Also the 2% FUP charge + 1% fx charge makes it essential to carry a dedicated travel card - essentially challenging "one card replace all" tagline of curve.

I am also foreseeing retailers to reject Business MasterCard PAN / charge extra fee in the near future as the model becomes popular !
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
where are you all seeing the 2% amex surcharge?

https://imaginecurve.groovehq.com/kn...out-of-my-amex

I'm not seeing it on their website
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
In the Fair Use Policy at https://api.imaginecurve.com/fair-use.pdf

You can withdrawal [sic] up to £200 (or currency equivalent) for free using your American Express or other credit cards per calendar month after which there is a 2% charge. This limit does not apply to ATM debit card withdrawals.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
I've cancelled my card.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Maybe. It's just strange that Raffles reported that Curve had informed him that they were negotiating with Amex to continue accepting the card, and a couple of hours later had him remove the comments. And Curve have all sorts of queries over Twitter that they've ignored on this Amex issue.

I quite agree that if you have your card, you should use it as much as you can and not sweat it.

If you haven't paid for your card and can't afford to lose the money if they go in to administration, then I would be sweating.
I didn't catch Raffles' comments in the two hours before his edit, but I didn't see any indication they had him remove anything. It sounds like he got in touch which someone who reassured him that it was fine and even if that changed, they would do something to make up for it.

It's certainly possible they are having problems keeping Amex in house. A more mature company would have done a better job communicating about why the message appeared and disappeared from their webpage like that.

It sounds like they need someone working at responding on Twitter but there are lots of companies that ignore lots of tweets.

If you can't afford to lose the money, then I'm not sure MS is a game you should be playing. Hopefully most of us have already made enough in the game to cover such possibilities.

Edit: missed the latest page of developments before replying. So now it looks to me like they were considering dropping Amex when they couldn't maintain the terms they wanted. When they saw the uproar they must have panicked a bit and tried to pretend it was fine.

Now they have their agreement and are going to have a limit and a fee, but they buried that in the policy pdf instead of using their site properly. For example https://imaginecurve.groovehq.com/kn...urve-cost-ps35 still says the only cost is the initial purchase.

Last edited by Vvatts; Apr 25, 2016 at 5:36 am Reason: New developments
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Wow, loads of people on Twitter reporting declined transactions that are still posting to their chosen funding card.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by aceman
where are you all seeing the 2% amex surcharge?

https://imaginecurve.groovehq.com/kn...out-of-my-amex

I'm not seeing it on their website
https://api.imaginecurve.com/fair-use.pdf
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by parklife
Note this document also imposes restrictions on ATM withdrawals when using debit cards (a fee after the first 10 transactions), so the Curve 'all your cards in one' approach is now no good for people who travel abroad or use ATMs regularly.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
My card literally just arrived.

Just realised though that theres no pin. Do you use the pin of the card that you're billing it to?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by manuv
For me its more about their credibility - having a U Turn within a month of beta launch certainly raise worries on the sustainability of the programme.
I don't know if they are dishonest, sloppy or just stupid. Their home page says today there are now 'no currency conversion fees' when you travel abroad yet their other documentation says there is a 1% fee. If this change sticks, it'll be a big improvement and makes them competitive against their rivals.

Other parts of the site say there's no fees for using Amex. It's all a bit too fluid when they're asking people to pay up to £75 for a card which no-one (including the company themselves) seems to know what it's going to be offering next month.

This is what they currently (Apr 25th) say (although note it's contradicted elsewhere)

Unite all your existing payments cards into one card and app, accepted everywhere. Unlock super low foreign currency rates and no conversion fees. See payments from all cards in one screen in real-time, label expenses and more.
  • Carry just one card
  • Access super low foreign currency rates and no conversion fees
  • See and label all transactions in real-time
  • Use Amex everywhere
  • No credit card ATM fees in your home country
  • MasterCard and bank-level security

ALL YOUR CARDS IN ONE

Only one PIN to remember, one card to fit into your bag or pocket. Choose which card you want Curve to be from your app. Keep earning all your original card reward points as normal.

USE CURVE AT HOME AND ABROAD
Curve works in every country and every place MasterCard is accepted. With zero fees and super low foreign currency rates, you don't need to do anything differently when travelling - just take Curve, life is simpler.

SEE YOUR PAYMENTS IN ONE PLACE

Your app screen shows payments from your different cards in one neat place and real-time. Tap to label them - and search them later.

USE AMEX EVERYWHERE
When you set Curve to be your Amex card, it'll work everywhere across the world that MasterCard is accepted.

USE CREDIT CARDS FOR FREE AT ATMS

In your home country, you'll never be charged to withdraw cash from an ATM even if Curve is set to a credit card. You're free to use the account you need.

SECURITY
Curve is a MasterCard, protected by bank-level security. Your original data is not stored on your card, providing an additional layer of security. If your Curve is lost or stolen, you only need to block Curve, which you can do instantly from your app or by calling us 24/7.

Register for your card via the Curve app or website. Curve is free to use, with an initial sign-up fee of £35 including shipping, only payable when we send your card.

Last edited by 710 77345; Apr 25, 2016 at 8:11 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:53 am

Completely pointless card for me. Every transaction over £10 is blocked. Cash withdrawals of any amount blocked.

My amex has various pending transactions (fine) but as they have all been declined by Curve, they better not mature into real charges.

All phone lines are unanswered and direct you to website, no response to email enquiries.

Not a good start. If it doesn't work later this week, sadly its getting shredded as I can't be doing with every transaction being declined. Their small limits are stupid as well (bearing in mind it's supposed to be a business use only card for EU interchange cap exemption), even if not automatically declined, any flexible air fare is £3k+, which exceeds their limits (irrespective of the underlying financing card limits).

Last edited by rjn21; Apr 25, 2016 at 9:09 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Card arrived today, but with the changes in conditions it's pretty pointless for me. Have emailed (after phoning) to request a full refund. If I don't hear back soon I guess I'll have to contact Amex to dispute the charge, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by aceman
Just realised though that theres no pin. Do you use the pin of the card that you're billing it to?
The Curve PIN is generated by the app when you first activate the card. Once used (successfully - good luck with that) for 1 chip & pin transaction you can then change the PIN to one of your choice at any bank ATM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.