Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:22 pm

The enhanced yearly limit for Curve card is £50,000. Has anyone talked to customer representatives and successfully increased the annual limit above that?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flashware
IHG is still fine.
i agree with this
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was charged a 0.5% fee for using Curve to book a flight with FR. Clearly, they are properly reading the BIN's. But it occurred to me, if more merchants correctly recognise this card as a commercial debit, its another nail in the coffin, because 0.5% is really not free, plus the 1% weekend rate and certainly takes away the whole "use your credit/debit card for free" marketing vibe.

I was not charged this fee for FR bookings using Curve in 2018.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
I was charged a 0.5% fee for using Curve to book a flight with FR. Clearly, they are properly reading the BIN's. But it occurred to me, if more merchants correctly recognise this card as a commercial debit, its another nail in the coffin, because 0.5% is really not free, plus the 1% weekend rate and certainly takes away the whole "use your credit/debit card for free" marketing vibe.

I was not charged this fee for FR bookings using Curve in 2018.
In what must be some kind of newsworthy story, I was refunded the fee by Ryanair. Yes, Ryanair have a refund button! I can imagine it needed the official signature of MOL to authorise this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Creation Marriott posts as purchase.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Lewis42
that sucks. Only reason I had my curve
Interbank rate currency conversion sort of compensates for this loss though.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:13 pm

seems to be available in the US now
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Well, surprise. I am in the USA. I applied to be on the Curve card waitlist back in August 2021. At that time, there were more than 13,400 people in line ahead of me, and I didn't expect to hear anything from them for a long time. But today, an email arrived with an invitation to apply. So I have several questions, and hopefully there are some people here who have gone before me.

1. My credit is frozen at all 3 major credit bureaus. Do I have to unfreeze my credit in order to apply? I am assuming yes. (I ask because these fraudsters are really good. My information was compromised in the Equifax hack and also the Marriott/Starwood hack. I unlocked my credit for just a few days in order to apply for a new credit card a few months ago and someone snuck in a fraudulent credit card app. So I am very spooked about unlocking the freezes.)

2. How long did it take for you to get approval? In other words, if approval is likely to be instant, perhaps I would only unlock my credit for 1 day.

3. Does the Curve debit card look like a legit bank debit card? I'm asking because my local sources for money orders are quite stringent that only a bank debit card can be used for payment.

4. Has anyone tried paying estimated US Federal income taxes online yet with their Curve card (linked to a reward credit card)? What was your experience? Were there any additional fees other than the debit card fee?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Well, surprise. I am in the USA. I applied to be on the Curve card waitlist back in August 2021. At that time, there were more than 13,400 people in line ahead of me, and I didn't expect to hear anything from them for a long time. But today, an email arrived with an invitation to apply. So I have several questions, and hopefully there are some people here who have gone before me.

1. My credit is frozen at all 3 major credit bureaus. Do I have to unfreeze my credit in order to apply? I am assuming yes. (I ask because these fraudsters are really good. My information was compromised in the Equifax hack and also the Marriott/Starwood hack. I unlocked my credit for just a few days in order to apply for a new credit card a few months ago and someone snuck in a fraudulent credit card app. So I am very spooked about unlocking the freezes.)

2. How long did it take for you to get approval? In other words, if approval is likely to be instant, perhaps I would only unlock my credit for 1 day.

3. Does the Curve debit card look like a legit bank debit card? I'm asking because my local sources for money orders are quite stringent that only a bank debit card can be used for payment.

4. Has anyone tried paying estimated US Federal income taxes online yet with their Curve card (linked to a reward credit card)? What was your experience? Were there any additional fees other than the debit card fee?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
1) Yes
2) Instant
3) It's a credit card; there is no PIN
4) IDK but see #3
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Shoot. It looks like Danpeake may be right.

The original blog articles that I read about Curve last summer indicated that it would be a MasterCard debit card. But now that it's becoming more available in the USA, that may not be correct, and it appears to be a credit card.

So that's another potential MSing opportunity down the drain. With the ever increasing price of gasoline, inflation running at over 8%, and MS opportunities slowly drying up, it's getting tough out there.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
...I read about Curve last summer indicated that it would be a MasterCard debit card.
If you were really getting a debit card, you wouldn't need to unlock your credit files either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.