Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Please help with spending $3K in 3 months (my serve accnt was shutdown)

Old Apr 5, 16, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello All,
I want to apply for Amex Simply cash for $300 statement credit if I spend $3K within 3 months.
Here's my situation:
- My serve account was shutdown.
- I only have utility bills to pay (electric, gas, water, trash). I already paid in advance for Internet.
- I have no mortgage, rent, car payment, phone bills.
- Very little gas expense (4 miles one way per day).
- I don't do groceries much.
- No time for travel, eating out because I'm busy with one toddler and one infant.
- My local stores won't accept CC as payment for Vanilla GCs.

On top of my head, I can only think of 3 ways:
- Pay in advance utility bills. But then I have to keep track each month. That's a pain.
- Buy GCs. But then I have to go to stores often. I'm not even sure the stores would accept CC. Also the activation fee is about $7 for $200 (if I'm lucky to find $200 GCs). Total activation fees would be 15 times x $7 = $105. So the reward is $300 - $105 = $200.
- Buy (6) $500 Visa GCs from Giftcardmall. This seems to me the best.

Please enlighten me with your better solutions.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by fandi; Apr 5, 16 at 11:05 pm
Old Apr 5, 16, 10:55 pm

Try finding a bank with CC funding that accepts AMEX?
Old Apr 5, 16, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
Try finding a bank with CC funding that accepts AMEX?
Sorry I don't understand. Can you elaborate please?
Old Apr 5, 16, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by fandi View Post
Just give up, do some more reading, or do some more trying, the choice is yours
Old Apr 5, 16, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
You don't do groceries much, but you have 2 young kids? Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever.

Look, your best option is to buy $500 visa gift cards, be it from a grocery store or elsewhere. Boom. Sign up bonus obtained. You can then use the gift cards for every day use, or you can try to buy money orders with them to cash them out. Your choice. Depends on what you have in your area, and there are tons of threads about all of these options in this forum, many with wiki entries from people who have been doing this for a while and for dollar volume way, way above $3k.
Old Apr 6, 16, 12:12 am

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
You could always just buy the $300 vgc's on staples.com. Two orders of 5 cards each and you are done... plus you'd earn 5% cb.
Old Apr 6, 16, 12:17 am

Perhaps you have a family member or friend who uses PayPal.
Old Apr 6, 16, 12:22 am

Buy diapers ... a lot of diapers ... back when I had 3 kids in diapers, there was once a great sale (because they were changing the packaging) and we bought a ton of diapers. Had a stack in the garage that was 5 ft long by 3 ft wide and about 4-5 feet high. Lots and lots of diapers
Old Apr 6, 16, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by markr33 View Post
Buy diapers ... a lot of diapers ... back when I had 3 kids in diapers, there was once a great sale (because they were changing the packaging) and we bought a ton of diapers. Had a stack in the garage that was 5 ft long by 3 ft wide and about 4-5 feet high. Lots and lots of diapers
LMAO
Old Apr 6, 16, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you have small people you are probably a Costco member, and you buy Kirkland diapers etc. in bulk. Buy Costco Cashcards. I find this handy whenever I need to pull some spending forward for signup bonus. The stores only take American Express, but the WEBSITE will take anything, so buy them online with Visa/MC and free shipping. Cashcards also good at the gas pumps.

I am confused why you think paying utilities requires tracking? I just paid my T-Mobile bill ahead by $600. It's on autopay so when it stops being in credit, payments will pick up as normal.

Back during Q4 Chase Freedom 5X on Amazon, I bought multiple Netflix gift cards to cover next 9 months as one angle. I also bought some Amazon gift cards and spent it all by New Years.
Old Apr 6, 16, 2:42 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
You don't do groceries much, but you have 2 young kids? Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever.
It's not tiny people that empty your refrigerator, it's teenagers.
Old Apr 6, 16, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by fandi View Post
What you are asking is not that difficult at all, but I think you will find it difficult to have the solutions spoon fed to you on this forum.
Most of us learned by reading a lot of the threads. Start with the "New to MS" thread at the top.
Old Apr 6, 16, 9:04 am

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!!

I looked at how many of what size boxes I had from baby # 1, (I'd been boxing up yard sale stuff in those boxes and stacking them in my storage room)
I guessed at how many more he'd need, and I bought the same amount of each size diapers for baby # 2 to last him until he'd be out of diapers... I had to buy 1 or 2 boxes for baby # 2, but that was all!

What I saved in diapers just because of the sale was worth it! Not to mention, not having to lug a box of diapers home, what seemed like every time I left the house!
Old Apr 6, 16, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I already bought more diapers than what the kids ever need. LOL.
The other way I'm thinking is to buy Amex GCs by joining Amex membership something ( I forgot exact wording) to avoid activation fees and get free shipping.
My bigger question though: Since I have not applied for the card, do you know any better sign up bonus card that require spending $3K in 3 months?
Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 16, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
If you have small people you are probably a Costco member, and you buy Kirkland diapers etc. in bulk. Buy Costco Cashcards. I find this handy whenever I need to pull some spending forward for signup bonus. The stores only take American Express, but the WEBSITE will take anything, so buy them online with Visa/MC and free shipping. Cashcards also good at the gas pumps.

I am confused why you think paying utilities requires tracking? I just paid my T-Mobile bill ahead by $600. It's on autopay so when it stops being in credit, payments will pick up as normal.

Back during Q4 Chase Freedom 5X on Amazon, I bought multiple Netflix gift cards to cover next 9 months as one angle. I also bought some Amazon gift cards and spent it all by New Years.
Thanks for the info. I don't have Costco membership but I go to Sam's from time to time. By tracking the prepaid expenses for utility bills, I meant I have to keep track if they deduct correctly every month.

Search this Thread