Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying taxes with credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Originally Posted by RedSun
You can use any CC to pay tax. SPG, Chase FU and upgraded BA Premium cards are all good at flat reward rates. You do not want to start another fight on the merits of the SPG card. This was talked recently in another thread (closed now).
Thank you. I don’t have the Chase FU or BA cards you mention. I do have CSR and, as much as I like UR points, the ability to SPG points to 3x Marriott justifies the 1.87% fee.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1120
Has anyone here used the SPG Amex to pay taxes?
Yes, I've paid quarterly estimated taxes with SPG. No problems.

If you reach 30K annual spend on SPG card, you then get SPG Gold status and can match that to Marriott Gold.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:00 am

According to DOC, you can get 5% back by paying your taxes with Paypal through PayUSAtax.com and a Chase Freedom card. Cost is 1.97% for PayUSAtax; PayPal fee is waived.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: MR, UR, UA
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
PayPal fee is waived.
PayUSATax pays the PayPal fees since this is a purchase, not a money transfer.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone have experience doing 3 separate credit card payments? Looking to do 2 (freedoms $1500 each) with payusatax and 1 from the other to maximize it.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:44 pm

You can easily do 6 per quarter.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by frudd38
Anyone have experience doing 3 separate credit card payments? Looking to do 2 (freedoms $1500 each) with payusatax and 1 from the other to maximize it.
Look at IRS site. For 1040, it is max 2 payments. Like to know how someone made 6 payments for the same return....
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:40 pm

There's 3 sites that let you pay your taxes. Each one can do 2 payments. 3 x 2 = 6. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:53 pm
Suspended

There's 3 sites that let you pay your taxes. Each one can do 2 payments. 3 x 2 = 6. Hope that helps.
Let's see some data points. Below is what IRS stated:

Individuals

Tax FormPayment Type and Tax YearLimitForm 1040 seriesCurrent Tax Year (2017)
2 per year
Prior Year (1998-2016)
2 per year

To me, that is the total.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:42 pm

You may be right. Re-reading the thread, I didn't see anyone who posted actually doing multiple payments.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I did 3 payments of 500.00 each in 2016 towards my 2016 estimated taxes. Maybe estimated is different?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:35 am

You may be right. Re-reading the thread, I didn't see anyone who posted actually doing multiple payments.
C'mon guys. This isn't that hard.

First look at: https://www.irs.gov/payments/frequen...of-tax-payment

I often pay quarterly Federal estimated taxes using credit cards. The table in the link above shows that the limit for estimated tax is 2 per quarter. That means 2 payments per quarter with each of the 3 sites that process estimated tax payments, which is a maximum of 6 electronic payments per quarter.

Yes, I have made up to 6 estimated tax payments per quarter (2 per processor) if I had new credit cards with minimum spends to meet OR credit cards with a special bonus offer for spending a certain amount OR credit cards where the spend would put me above the yearly spending threshold for a desired benefit. To date, I have never been charged a cash advance fee by any of my credit card companies (Chase, AmEx, Citi, Cap One).

One more point: I suggest keeping careful records. Save the proof of payment from the processor. I think it is also important to go to the EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) website and establish an account so that you can verify that these payments were received by the IRS. I haven't had a problem with payment of Federal quarterly estimates, but I still always verify a week or two after making an electronic payment that it was received.

EFTPS: https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/direct/EftpsHome.page

It is also possible to pay some state quarterly estimated taxes on line as well as property tax in some areas. I have paid quarterly estimates for my home state (California), but I will never do it again. The California Franchise Tax Board is incompetent. I had a major hassle with an electronic estimated tax payment made to California that the FTB failed to credit. If I remember, it's officialpayments.com that has the capability of accepting electronic state quarterly estimated tax payments. Once again, if you pay state taxes electronically, I would suggest that you set up a way of verifying that the payments were received and credited properly.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Angry H&R Block

After completing my return with H&R Blocks free online program, I paid my tax through pay1040.com, splitting between 2 CCs. When the software didn't accept my two confirmation codes, I saw that itonly accepts PayUSAtax.com. This was not disclosed until the end of the program which previously said pay the tax & come back to file. After complaining to H&R's phone rep, I was told that the software will accept my codes when the IRS accepts the payment, which will can take 5-7 days according to pay1040.com. It's been 3 days so far.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I often pay quarterly Federal estimated taxes using credit cards. The table in the link above shows that the limit for estimated tax is 2 per quarter. That means 2 payments per quarter with each of the 3 sites that process estimated tax payments, which is a maximum of 6 electronic payments per quarter.

Yes, I have made up to 6 estimated tax payments per quarter (2 per processor) if I had new credit cards with minimum spends to meet OR credit cards with a special bonus offer for spending a certain amount OR credit cards where the spend would put me above the yearly spending threshold for a desired benefit. To date, I have never been charged a cash advance fee by any of my credit card companies (Chase, AmEx, Citi, Cap One).
Is this a big IF? or you've made 6 total payment per quarter? It is not clear to me.

Some people do read this as 2 payment per processor. But it is not entirely clear. I would not risk it. Maybe IRS does not even care. It is going to be hard to pay $2,000 each six times to pay IRS $12,000 tax.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:32 am

I'll clarify.

Yes, I have made as many as 6 estimated Federal tax payments per quarter (2 per processor) without issues.

I use this in several ways. For example:

It is an easy way of meeting the minimum spend on new credit cards.

It is an easy way of meeting a bonus for spending on one of your existing accounts. If the bonus is great enough, the bonus can more than cover the fees to pay estimated tax. (This doesn't come up often, but occasionally one of my sock-drawer credit card accounts will offer me a bonus if I start using the card again and reach a certain spending level within a specified period.)

It is an easy way of reaching a yearly spending threshold to obtain a desired credit card or reward program benefit.

The IRS doesn't give a hoot how many payments you make so long as they get their (your) money.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Apr 10, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.