Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Ways to Liquidate Visa GC (Metabank) into Cash 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to Liquidate Visa GC (Metabank) into Cash 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question Ways to Liquidate Visa GC (Metabank) into Cash 2016

I received a $250 Visa GC (metabank) for my birthday and want to get the cash from it to pay bills.

I tried to cash advance at B of A teller window and it did not work like the My Vanilla Prepaid Visa does.

What is the best option, other than finding a grocery store that accepts gift cards to buy money orders (Ralphs and Pavillions in Los Angeles did not let me)?

TIA for any advice that can be provided. ^

Last edited by flymax77; Mar 31, 2016 at 12:00 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rb23lb

I tried to cash advance at B of A teller window and it did not work like the Vanilla One Prepaid Visa does.

What is the best option, other than finding a grocery store that accepts gift cards to buy money orders (Ralphs and Pavillions in Los Angeles did not let me)?

TIA for any advice that can be provided. ^
You tried to cash advance at B of A teller window the Vanilla One Prepaid? I have 2 cards and was wondering how to liquidate....
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, & JB. Hyatt, Fairmont, IHG, Hilton & SPG
I heard eBay is pretty good
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:56 am

I tried to cash advance at B of A teller window and it did not work like the Vanilla One Prepaid Visa does.
you mean OVs can be cashed out at BoA? OR was it MyVanilla Debit card? Those 2 are different although OVs are prepaid, they're not reloadable while MVDs are.

I asked my local bank before if I can cash out my Visa/MC GCs I got as gifts and the manager said they can't do that. so if you were able to cash out OVs, you may have discovered a gem. be prepared for PMs asking where that BoA is.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pingo
I heard eBay is pretty good
but eBay means you take a loss on the full value that is pretty significant after all the fees... looking to lose only $5-$10 bucks max on liquidation to cash...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
you mean OVs can be cashed out at BoA? OR was it MyVanilla Debit card? Those 2 are different although OVs are prepaid, they're not reloadable while MVDs are.

I asked my local bank before if I can cash out my Visa/MC GCs I got as gifts and the manager said they can't do that. so if you were able to cash out OVs, you may have discovered a gem. be prepared for PMs asking where that BoA is.
edited my original post to correct -- it was actually a "My Vanilla" prepaid reloadable, thanks for jarring my memory!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:03 pm

but eBay means you take a loss on the full value that is pretty significant after all the fees... looking to lose only $5-$10 bucks max on liquidation to cash...
if that's the case, then why don't you buy OV with it and pay 4.95 fee and bring it to your BoA branch to cash it out?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

if that's the case, then why don't you buy OV with it and pay 4.95 fee and bring it to your BoA branch to cash it out?
Which stores will let you use a Visa Gift Card to buy an OV or MV prepaid?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:06 pm

try WAG, although it's YMMV but I've been to branches different states that accepted a GC for GC purchase.

btw, can you validate your statement regarding cashing out OV at BoA?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

try WAG, although it's YMMV but I've been to branches different states that accepted a GC for GC purchase.

btw, can you validate your statement regarding cashing out OV at BoA?

any success with WAGs in Kalifornia?

it was the black My vanilla I had success with at BoA in 2015 on multiple occasions
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:30 pm

I tried to cash advance at B of A teller window and it did not work like the My Vanilla Prepaid Visa does.
Is there a fee, and does it matter whether you have an account with BOA ?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:34 pm

My 7-11 has a boatload of MyVanillas. They take my CC for OVs, so debit would work.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I received a $250 Visa GC (metabank) for my birthday and want to get the cash from it to pay bills ^
If you really want to pay bills, just use the Visa GC.

Pay whatever ones take Visa, don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:57 am

OP I understand why you'd want cash instead of the VGC since there are payees that won't accept CC and/or DC as payment.

IME, I paid AAA with VGCs for my 6 month vehicles insurance and membership; just gave my agent the MB GC #, exp date and CVV. You can call to ask any of your billers if they'll take DC payment by phone, just make sure there is no charge/fee to pay by phone.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by flymax77
probably all stores that allows visa credit cards? However I doubt you can withdraw cash at BOA from my vanilla, how do you load MYanilla?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.