Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Starbucks to offer prepaid Visas

Interesting....
http://www.boston.com/news/business/...-prepaid-cards
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:30 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Yep, I guess it depends on how it can be loaded.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Yep, I guess it depends on how it can be loaded.
And the max load amount vs load fee.

This might get me back to SB a little more frequently. I'm not happy about the revamped rewards program, since I'm a customer that usually only gets a $1.50 bagel, not a $6 latte.

ETA I love the last line of that article "families also use prepaid card as a way to control spending on vacations". This is exactly how I use mine... except by earning points to pay for said vacations I'm going to have to remember that verbiage next time a cashier asks why I buy them haha.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:17 pm

Reloadable...

A replacement for Serve? Have to see how it can be *unloaded* as well as loaded. The article says there is no load fee.

Other articles online say it's coming out at the end of the year. So don't get all excited to quickly...

Last edited by shadow520; Mar 23, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:59 pm

Fee free CC loads, restaurant category rises to the forefront! XD
OATS09 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you thought holding up the money center line while loading a pile of serves was bad, try holding up other ppl from their coffee while you try to get a bit of MS done in the morning before you head to work.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by HGHUA
If you thought holding up the money center line while loading a pile of serves was bad, try holding up other ppl from their coffee while you try to get a bit of MS done in the morning before you head to work.
Yea delaying people's access to caffeine is not going to end well.
Solution: Starbucks needs a kate for loading.
In fact, I would probably pickup a drink/snack every time I visit. Do it Starbucks.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by oopl
Yea delaying people's access to caffeine is not going to end well.
Solution: Starbucks needs a kate for loading.
In fact, I would probably pickup a drink/snack every time I visit. Do it Starbucks.
I would happily buy one overpriced oversized drink as the fee for $500 restaurant category spend.
OATS09 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:16 am

Looking forward to this. But realistically, I doubt it'll have free CC loads. AMEX tried various iterations of free CC loads, and it's a proven money-loser for them. SB isn't blindly jumping into this... I'm sure SB has an idea how it works. The model to follow is Greendot, not AMEX. The only way free loads makes sense is if it's cash and maybe debit. But I'd be shocked if billpay is as simple as with SERVE.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Looking forward to this. But realistically, I doubt it'll have free CC loads. AMEX tried various iterations of free CC loads, and it's a proven money-loser for them. SB isn't blindly jumping into this... I'm sure SB has an idea how it works. The model to follow is Greendot, not AMEX. The only way free loads makes sense is if it's cash and maybe debit. But I'd be shocked if billpay is as simple as with SERVE.
I doubt that i would see the product with any form of bill pay. Neither Starbucks nor Chase would be interested in going after the "unbanked".
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I doubt that i would see the product with any form of bill pay. Neither Starbucks nor Chase would be interested in going after the "unbanked".
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/06/prepa...llennials.html
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:30 pm

I'd gladly pay $1.00 to load and $1.00 to unload (ACH) if I could do it online.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:04 pm

Subbed, I'll be keeping an eye on this. The way the article is written sounds almost dovish for us.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Cigar Jedi
Subbed, I'll be keeping an eye on this. The way the article is written sounds almost dovish for us.
Think people are forgetting this part of the T&C:

and a $75 legal processing fee, which would be triggered if the bank was required to hold or pay out funds from the account as a result of a legal action.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:52 am

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.