Cashing Money Orders at Walmart

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 7, 16, 3:38 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Wiki Link
    Print Wikipost

    Old Mar 7, 16, 9:58 pm
      #1  
    Original Poster
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 124
    Cashing Money Orders at Walmart

    I have noticed that there is plenty of discussion in this forum about buying money orders at walmart but very little discussion about cashing money orders at walmart. The only thread I have been able to find is this one. Walmart will cash a $1000 money order for $3. For me liquidating a $1000 dollars worth of gift cards for 0.37% ($0.70 for the money order plus $3.00 to cash the money order) sounds perfectly reasonable in order to meet a minimum spend. Am I missing something obvious?
    gruntermen is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:08 pm
      #2  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 827
    Why would you want to pay $3 to deal in cash? I'd pay to *not* deal in cash.
    CWAL is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:10 pm
      #3  
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: The Phoenix Desert
    Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
    Posts: 1,687
    Originally Posted by gruntermen View Post
    I have noticed that there is plenty of discussion in this forum about buying money orders at walmart but very little discussion about cashing money orders at walmart. The only thread I have been able to find is this one. Walmart will cash a $1000 money order for $3. For me liquidating a $1000 dollars worth of gift cards for 0.37% ($0.70 for the money order plus $3.00 to cash the money order) sounds perfectly reasonable in order to meet a minimum spend. Am I missing something obvious?
    Why are you going thru the extra step (and cost) of cashing a money order?
    skitch23 is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:10 pm
      #4  
    Suspended
     
    Join Date: Jun 2015
    Posts: 1,458
    It's best if you buy a Gebit at money center, open it, buy a MO, and then cash the MO right there. Saves a lot of time.
    Chelski is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:14 pm
      #5  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 827
    Originally Posted by Chelski View Post
    It's best if you buy a Gebit at money center, open it, buy a MO, and then cash the MO right there. Saves a lot of time.
    Stop spoiling my location! I finally found a grocery store that lets me buy a GC with an MO and then open the GC and buy an MO. INFINITE SCALABILITY!!!!1!11!!
    CWAL is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:18 pm
      #6  
    Original Poster
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 124
    Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
    Why would you want to pay $3 to deal in cash? I'd pay to *not* deal in cash.
    Originally Posted by skitch23 View Post
    Why are you going thru the extra step (and cost) of cashing a money order?
    I would prefer not to deal in cash but in reading through the threads on this forum I get the distinct impression that banks tend to be skittish about money order deposits. I don't want to mess up my relationship with my bank.
    gruntermen is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:19 pm
      #7  
    Suspended
     
    Join Date: Jun 2015
    Posts: 1,458
    Gruntermen go deposit $100k cash and report back to us
    Chelski is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:20 pm
      #8  
    Original Poster
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 124
    Originally Posted by Chelski View Post
    It's best if you buy a Gebit at money center, open it, buy a MO, and then cash the MO right there. Saves a lot of time.
    Perhaps the folks at the money center will even let me borrow their scissors and pen so I can open up the gebit package and fill out the money order in front of them.
    gruntermen is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:21 pm
      #9  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 827
    Originally Posted by gruntermen View Post
    I would prefer not to deal in cash but in reading through the threads on this forum I get the distinct impression that banks tend to be skittish about money order deposits. I don't want to mess up my relationship with my bank.
    Dollar for dollar, I would posit that cash will be much more likely to lead to AA than MOs.
    CWAL is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:22 pm
      #10  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 827
    Originally Posted by gruntermen View Post
    Perhaps the folks at the money center will even let me borrow their scissors and pen so I can open up the gebit package and fill out the money order in front of them.
    Christ man, you need scissors? If you still need scissors your volume couldn't possibly raise any flags.
    CWAL is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:29 pm
      #11  
    Original Poster
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 124
    I am quickly getting the impression that for the amount of volume I am doing (the minimum spend on about two credit cards per month) I don't have to worry too much how I liquidate money orders.
    gruntermen is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:38 pm
      #12  
     
    Join Date: Dec 2015
    Posts: 64
    Originally Posted by gruntermen View Post
    I would prefer not to deal in cash but in reading through the threads on this forum I get the distinct impression that banks tend to be skittish about money order deposits. I don't want to mess up my relationship with my bank.
    search Bank Secrecy Act.
    rekehs is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 10:53 pm
      #13  
     
    Join Date: Sep 2014
    Posts: 1,831
    I heard while buying MO at WM that no fee to cash WM issued MO.

    so one could cash out from another location to avoid fee?
    lumangoy is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 11:11 pm
      #14  
    Original Poster
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 124
    Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
    I heard while buying MO at WM that no fee to cash WM issued MO.

    so one could cash out from another location to avoid fee?
    I think walmart will only cash a Walmart issued money order and for that they charge a three dollar fee.
    gruntermen is offline  
    Old Mar 7, 16, 11:32 pm
      #15  
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 827
    Originally Posted by gruntermen View Post
    I am quickly getting the impression that for the amount of volume I am doing (the minimum spend on about two credit cards per month) I don't have to worry too much how I liquidate money orders.
    Correct
    CWAL is offline  

    Thread Tools
    Search this Thread