US Mint physical locations for purchases

Old Feb 18, 16, 9:18 pm
RLW
Original Poster

US Mint physical locations for purchases

Has anyone here made any visits to the US Mint's gift shops in Denver and Philadelphia? I wonder if they sell the coins at face value over there.

The US Mint customer service rep said there was some sort of Kiosk also in Washington (D.C.), "probably" @ the US Mint HQ.

Too bad their online prices aren't as good as they used to be

They're up to Richard Nixon now!
$32.95 for a single roll of 25 coins
$275.95 for a box of 250 coins

Gotta wonder what the banks did with all the "old" coins hehe. I wonder where most of them are sitting now.
Old Feb 19, 16, 9:10 am

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
I was in the DC gift shop about 6mos ago. I don't remember seeing anything other than their "special" dollars and coins which were at least 2x face value. I'm not an avid coin collector, but I will hold onto cool international coins or US quarters I haven't seen before. There was nothing in the gift shop that seemed worth it to buy cost wise. Maybe you have to ask the cashier for rolls of coins? They did have an ATM there which presumably spit out brand new and sequential 20's.
Old Feb 19, 16, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Has anyone here made any visits to the US Mint's gift shops in Denver and Philadelphia? I wonder if they sell the coins at face value over there.

The US Mint customer service rep said there was some sort of Kiosk also in Washington (D.C.), "probably" @ the US Mint HQ.

Too bad their online prices aren't as good as they used to be

They're up to Richard Nixon now!
$32.95 for a single roll of 25 coins
$275.95 for a box of 250 coins

Gotta wonder what the banks did with all the "old" coins hehe. I wonder where most of them are sitting now.
In storage at the nearest Federal Reserve Bank
Old Feb 19, 16, 10:17 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by skitch23 View Post
I was in the DC gift shop about 6mos ago. I don't remember seeing anything other than their "special" dollars and coins which were at least 2x face value. I'm not an avid coin collector, but I will hold onto cool international coins or US quarters I haven't seen before. There was nothing in the gift shop that seemed worth it to buy cost wise. Maybe you have to ask the cashier for rolls of coins? They did have an ATM there which presumably spit out brand new and sequential 20's.
Just to let people know, the US Mint has a gift shop in Union Station in Washington, D.C. where you can buy proof sets of current US coins. These however are for collectors, not MSers.
(which is also why the cost of the coins exceeds their face value )
Old Feb 19, 16, 10:26 am

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Just to let people know, the US Mint has a gift shop in Union Station in Washington, D.C. where you can buy proof sets of current US coins. These however are for collectors, not MSers.
(which is also why the cost of the coins exceeds their face value )
I didn't see the satellite location at Union Station... so I guess I should clarify my post. I was at the gift shop at the headquarters where they give the tours Sadly, the line was way too long for the tour so we only got to see the gift shop.
Old Feb 24, 16, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I can assure you that there's nothing in the gift shop that you can purchase at face value with a credit card!

It wouldn't be a very good business if you could!

However, there is a coin machine where you can put in bills and it will spit out brand new dollar coins.

But again, you cannot use a credit card.

The tours are fine... self-guided... and you're way way way above the shop floor.
Old Feb 25, 16, 8:24 am

Just to clarify: The U.S. Mint does NOT have a production facility in Washington, D.C. You are probably confusing it with the Bureau of Printing and Engraving, which produces paper currency at facilities in Washington and Fort Worth.

Search this Thread