Paying with MO's?

Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Paying with MO's?

Have a monthly insurance bill of over a 1000 dollars a month and have almost 10000 dollars of property tax. Is there a problem using MO's on bigger bills like this? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by shanna135
Have a monthly insurance bill of over a 1000 dollars a month and have almost 10000 dollars of property tax. Is there a problem using MO's on bigger bills like this? Thanks
Doubt that it matters on either, but your insurance *might* find a reason to drop you for using MO. Why not just pay for the insurance with a CC?

Property tax (and mortgages) are a great use because they can't drop you.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:57 am

Paying with multiple MOs

Originally Posted by littleconsumer
Doubt that it matters on either, but your insurance *might* find a reason to drop you for using MO. Why not just pay for the insurance with a CC?

Property tax (and mortgages) are a great use because they can't drop you.
Anyone have issues with paying mortgage using multiple MOs (3 or 4 per payment)?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by shanna135
For property tax, I would just go on-line and see how they accept property tax payment. I did this for my locality and they did take money orders which could be mailed in or paid at certain sites around the city. If you are uncertain, give the tax assessor a call and ask them. (I did that as well just to be sure )

As far as insurance is concerned, look at your bill. Mine specifically said that cash and/or MOs were not acceptable, so a check was really the only means of paying them. There was no credit card option available. If you company does take alternative means of payment, a simple call will confirm if MOs are acceptable.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
As far as insurance is concerned, look at your bill.
Last year I noticed that my health insurance savings account statement said they would accept check or MO. I sent in a healthy stack of MO's, but they sent them back with a note that their (unwritten) policy is to only take a single MO under $500. So you might want to call to confirm. It took several tries to find a bank willing to let me change the endorsement and deposit them to my account. Moneygram wanted $15 each to replace.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:19 am

Last year I switched to cc pay for insurance but you have to pay entire year (homeowners) or 6-month policy (auto) to not incur a fee on cc pmt at Nationwide. I've read about overpayments being refunded in cash, but the online bill pay has radio buttons to select entire premium amount, so I wouldn't have a ready answer of "fat finger mistake" for adding an extra thousand or so to the amount. I'll just be happy to get miles on the premiums themselves.

On mortgage pmts, I've switched from BB to checking EFT for the moment until a new avenue opens up. Snail mail has proven unreliable in the past and MO's are notoriously hard to recover funds once gone astray.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
For property tax, I would just go on-line and see how they accept property tax payment. I did this for my locality and they did take money orders which could be mailed in or paid at certain sites around the city. If you are uncertain, give the tax assessor a call and ask them. (I did that as well just to be sure )
I've sent in a stack of $1000 money orders for my property tax without issue.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by bravesfan21
Anyone have issues with paying mortgage using multiple MOs (3 or 4 per payment)?
no problem here 12x a year using 2-$500 MO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.