Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart Money Kiosks (2016 onwards)

Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by in4tar
Here is a puzzle I encountered today.

According to wiki - if you try loading VGC into your Serve via Kate and get "debit not approved", it could mean you exceeded your limit for this month.

I, however, know for sure I still have room to go, and yet I got this message trying to load my Simon Mall VGC. I had three of them. The funny thing is - the first card went through without any problem, but I got this message trying to load the next one. (I checked all my cards - they are all active, and the money is there).

Then - as I happened to have a $300 VGC from Staples in my wallet - I thought I would try to load it. Same message.

The actual receipt from these transactions said: "debit not approved host timeout".

I tried Kate at another WM (same day) - with similar result. It did, however, accept the $300 VGC (that was declined at the previous Kate), but still did not accept any of my two remaining $500 VGCs.

I didn't have my normal debit card with me, but later I tried to load Serve online with it, and it works. So it does not seem that my Serve is a problem. I am still below $5000 per month limit.

I am puzzled now. Could anyone venture a guess of what seems to be the problem here?

i had a similar thing happen yesterday. went to walmart #1, loaded two $300 vgc from staples. tried to do a 3rd and it declined my payment and gave me a "host time out" receipt later. tried a diff vgc, didn't work. waited 10 min just in case i was tripping the velocity limit from someone in front of me. still no go. tried to load at cashier, no go. went to walmart #2 this morning and tried to load at cashier, didn't work. not sure what's going on cause the serve app still allows me to load with my debit card.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by styxfire
A Kate in my city hasn't taken gift cards for at least 2 months. I attempted a Chase debit card last week (tied to checking account), and it won't take that either (it stalls at the "enter PIN" screen" after swiping the debit). I waited in the long cust. service line for 15 min but eventually left due to no movement.

What's the appropriate way to handle a Kate that won't take ANY debit card? The phone # on the front of the machine is 1-800-WALMART. Debit loading is a feature of Bluebird, so I'm puzzled that a Kate could completely block ALL DEBIT CARDS.

Should I tell in-store cust.service that the machine isn't functioning?
Should I call the 800 Walmart #?
Should I email Bluebird?

I don't want to call excessive attention to Kate-loading, BUT when a Kate blocks the normal Bluebird features for more than 2 months it's a big problem.
Why not try loading with a cashier?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by CassWV_15
This worked for me today. Yep, the Kate there wouldn't take anything I had.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by CassWV_15
I've avoided the cashier loading because I don't have it in me to do the level of deception required to pull the wool over their eyes, handing them a pseudo debit, then some slight of hand to switch debit cards? Can't do it, and don't want to become the type of person who cn. I'm just a 1-account BB holder who wants to pay my mortgage, electric, and student loans, who wants to do what BB allows.

Why is the Moneypass ATM"help" phone # a Walmart num instead of Metabank?

Last edited by styxfire; Feb 21, 2016 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by styxfire
I've avoided the cashier loading because I don't have it in me to do the level of deception required to pull the wool over their eyes, handing them a pseudo debit, then some slight of hand to switch your debit card? Can't do it, and don't want to become the type of person who cn. I'm just a single-account BB holder who wants to pay my mortgage, electric, and student loans, by following the rules Bluebird issued.

Why is the Moneypass # a Walmart num instead of Metabank?
WM cashier likely asks for your serve card to swipe, but no need to touch your debit card; you swipe whatever debit card want to use
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
WM cashier likely asks for your serve card to swipe, but no need to touch your debit card; you swipe whatever debit card want to use

Depends on your location. Some WM Stores ask to see the card if your paying with debit.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:18 pm

My Kate was up today but when I swiped serve card, there was the normal beep but then it doesn't go to the next step. This happened for two One VIP cards that haven't been shut down and it worked fine last Friday.

Any ideas whats going on? Is the reader bad or is there Amex network/communication issue?

Just loaded fine at rite aid.

Last edited by svsfan; Feb 22, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:33 pm

try to load my gobank with some Metabank MC GC ($200) ones, getting "Debit not approved call authorizer" on the print out today
not sure what this about , I will go try different kate tomorrow.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by briang191
Depends on your location. Some WM Stores ask to see the card if your paying with debit.
Not true, if you are buying MO's then yes the dragons at the money Center might ask to see your debit card, but the cashier has never asked me to see my debit card when loading to my BB or Serve.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Like some have reported I got the "Debit not approved debit timeout" receipt I tried it twice and got it again. I had loaded 3 x500 VGC about an hour before without problems. So when I returned homed, I called the 866# to change the pin, which I did. I also had the automated system tell me about the transactions on the card. Both transactions were approved, but then reversed. I'm wondering if Amex is the one who did this.. I'm going to try a different Serve card this next time.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Not true, if you are buying MO's then yes the dragons at the money Center might ask to see your debit card, but the cashier has never asked me to see my debit card when loading to my BB or Serve.
This, as all things, is YMMV. At the Walmart in Irvine, CA, I've had a cashier demand to see both my Serve card and the card I was loading with. I've also had cashiers who couldn't care less at that location.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by strongdentist
This, as all things, is YMMV. At the Walmart in Irvine, CA, I've had a cashier demand to see both my Serve card and the card I was loading with. I've also had cashiers who couldn't care less at that location.
Out of my 3 yrs of this game, not once have I had a cashier ask to see my debit card, I just hand them my serve or BB card and tell them I'll like to load $500.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Out of my 3 yrs of this game, not once have I had a cashier ask to see my debit card, I just hand them my serve or BB card and tell them I'll like to load $500.
Consider yourself fortunate. Once again YMMV.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by svsfan
My Kate was up today but when I swiped serve card, there was the normal beep but then it doesn't go to the next step. This happened for two One VIP cards that haven't been shut down and it worked fine last Friday.

Any ideas whats going on? Is the reader bad or is there Amex network/communication issue?

Just loaded fine at rite aid.
reader probably bad. try a normal debit and an atm withdrawal with regular debit and the result is the same
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by briang191
Consider yourself fortunate. Once again YMMV.
+1
There is a Walmart by me that every time I loaded Kate she would stop me and ask to see my BB card and my debit card. She also worked at CS and refused to allow BB load with GC. She got the other employees to check too. YMMV Indeed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.