Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missing $500 VGC from Grocery Stores

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Missing $500 VGC from Grocery Stores

I'm curious if anybody is seeing the same thing I am seeing in Northern Virginia.

There were reports several weeks ago about Safeway removing their $500 VGCs from the shelves, that has happened here as well (although not a big loss, Safeway has never let me use credit cards).

I went out this weekend to several Giant stores and all the variable load VGCs were gone from the rack. The same story at Shoppers.

I asked about the missing cards at Shoppers, the clerk said check back in a few weeks; the lack of cards had something to do with the chip/signature system. Take that for what it's worth, though.

Last edited by schwab; Feb 8, 2016 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by schwab
... I asked about the missing cards at Shoppers, the clerk said check back in a few weeks; the lack of cards had something to do with the chip/signature system.
If the store doesn't have their chip readers working, the clerk is presumably referring to the 10/1 liability shift which exposes the store to liability for fraudulent transactions. It makes sense that they would temporarily pull products like VGCs with significant fraud exposure.

I theorized that Safeway's action was for the same reason, but there has been some information (in that thread) suggesting otherwise.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:06 am

I'm curious if anybody is seeing the same thing I am seeing in Northern Virginia.

There were reports several weeks ago about $@feajwh removing their $500 VGCs from the shelves, that has happened here as well (although not a big loss, $@fe:$@( has never let me use credit cards).

I went out this weekend to several &:&:/ stores and all the variable load VGCs were gone from the rack. The same story at $:&:/&).

These two stores have been great ever since the death of RedBird and for the D$$&: @pp13 pr0m0, so this is a tough loss if the cards are gone for good! I asked about the missing cards at :$;&/, the clerk said check back in a few weeks; the lack of cards had something to do with the chip/signature system. Take that for what it's worth, though.
If you want to still receive the PA Promo then you should revise ur post D is likely to clawback. Look at the the TMobe overp@m3nts.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:58 am

There were reports several weeks ago about Safeway removing their $500 VGCs from the shelves, that has happened here as well (although not a big loss, Safeway has never let me use credit cards).

I went out this weekend to several Giant stores and all the variable load VGCs were gone from the rack. The same story at Shoppers.

These two stores have been great ever since the death of RedBird and for the Discover Apple Pay promo, so this is a tough loss if the cards are gone for good! I asked about the missing cards at Shoppers, the clerk said check back in a few weeks; the lack of cards had something to do with the chip/signature system. Take that for what it's worth, though.
I think the Giants in NOVA have been hit hard which is why some stores are out. I was able to buy some this weekend in NOVA.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:40 am

Disappearing here too. Worse for me is that suddenly CVS (here) is requiring cash only for all VGCs now. That's new.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:16 am

Our WD took them all off the shelves for a few months, and then they suddenly reappeared with different packaging. I didn't ask any questions. Fingers crossed it happens for you too!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nittanylion1
Our WD took them all off the shelves for a few months, and then they suddenly reappeared with different packaging. I didn't ask any questions. Fingers crossed it happens for you too!
What does the new packaging look like? This happened to me at Food Lion this morning.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:41 am

in my area my local source all disappeared, there is a hand written note apologizing and saying this is temporary and they're working very hard on getting back all the visa, mc and amex gift cards back.

when i asked the clerk i was told because "someone figured out a way to hack into them"... i left it at that and didn't follow up this further for obvious reasons.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:16 am

All of the Food Lion stores local to me yanked them 2-3 weeks ago in concert.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ntjane66
I think the Giants in NOVA have been hit hard which is why some stores are out. I was able to buy some this weekend in NOVA.
I'm in Alexandria and just about to get into MS - will Giant allow me to buy VGC with a card? Do you know if Harris Teeter will as well? I know Shoppers, at least the one in Potomac Yard, is cash-only. My Amex BCE gets me 3% grocery so it'll be my best bet.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Feb 9, 2016 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tbradnc
Disappearing here too. Worse for me is that suddenly CVS (here) is requiring cash only for all VGCs now. That's new.
Hopefully not all CVS require cash only for VGCs.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:03 pm

All 3 Ralphs around me dry for a week, no MOs at wmt or BB loading with Gebits here....
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Everything working perfectly here in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West. Supermarkets and Pharmacies selling $500 VGCs with CC, Wally doing fantastic with MO in split transaction with two VGCs and even Kate working (too bad I was closed ). But yes, even supermarkets selling MOs with Simon VGCs too. So all in all, business as usual.

Just waiting for Chip & Signature to come to some supermarkets. Hopefully everything will stay the same.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Everything working perfectly here in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West. Supermarkets and Pharmacies selling $500 VGCs with CC, Wally doing fantastic with MO in split transaction with two VGCs and even Kate working (too bad I was closed ). But yes, even supermarkets selling MOs with Simon VGCs too. So all in all, business as usual.

Just waiting for Chip & Signature to come to some supermarkets. Hopefully everything will stay the same.
Also in MONMW. OVs have seemingly disappeared from both my favorite pharmacy chain and grocery, but VGCs are plentiful. Putting my 5% card to the test, so maybe I am the reason they are sold out of OVs!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:48 pm

Stopped by Hannaford on the way home and couldn't find any Visa/MC/AMEX GCs. They used to have a lot up until Dec. (haven't been there since the end of Dec.) Not a good start of the year for MS, every day I see the news about stores / banks / card issuers killing various point-earning venues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.