Search

Paying rent with a cc and no lease

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Paying rent with a cc and no lease

Hi folks,

I've tried looking for the answer here (used google too!) but can't seem to be successful...so at the risk of upsetting some with a stupid question that may or may not have already been answered, here is my situation:

I pay rent to my parents. It's not quite as bad as it sounds, as they live in Alaska and I live on Maui (I'm sort of taking care of the fort until they decide to move back home). We don't have an official lease, which apparently makes me not qualify for Plastiq or Radpad services. I was using Serve to load up with a credit card and send a check, but that all went away when Amex shut me down.

Any one know of a way to send a check by using a credit card to my folks? Trying to meet a minimum spend on a couple of cards, so I don't mind paying a fee for a couple of times. Like I said, I have no proof of lease. Or am I f'd in the a?

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
You know, people buy vgc and pay through mo for rent, but thats because landlords only accept check, cashiers check, or mo. Why on earth dont you just pay your folks cash and cut out the middle man? Hell, if its your parents you can probabily not even pay rent on time and theyd be cool with it. The other thing is of course you dont want a rental contract, unless you want your folks to get hit up by rental income when taxes come due. Your parents should be giving you some sort of discount accordingly.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Just trying to make a minimum spend...

Originally Posted by msp3
You know, people buy vgc and pay through mo for rent, but thats because landlords only accept check, cashiers check, or mo. Why on earth dont you just pay your folks cash and cut out the middle man? Hell, if its your parents you can probabily not even pay rent on time and theyd be cool with it. The other thing is of course you dont want a rental contract, unless you want your folks to get hit up by rental income when taxes come due. Your parents should be giving you some sort of discount accordingly.
Dude, why so aggro?

If you read my post I'm not concerned about paying it on time, or any other thing you're lecturing me about. I just want to make a minimum spend. They live in Ancorage, I live on Maui, so if I can find a way to do this online then I don't mind paying the fees. Plastiq and Radpad need proof of a lease, so they're out. I'm just looking for another possible avenue to do this. That should answer your "why on earth don't you just pay them cash and cut out the middle man" question.

I don't want to go the gift card to MO route, because it would be a hassle for me, but more importantly for them as well. I normally just deposit a check into their account here and it's easy...but doesn't help me meet a spend. I'm trying to do this in a way that they don't have to do any extra work...

Obviously I get the family discount, late pay perks, etc that you would expect. Also obvious is the fact that neither they nor I want a rental deal (or we'd have one...).

I can understand being yelled at for asking something that's been answered before. But you're going at me about something I clearly explain in my original post. GOAL=MINIMUM SPEND.

Last edited by spamman808; Feb 3, 2016 at 12:05 am Reason: grammar
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:28 am

Sorry, the only thing I can think of is sending them money via PayPal and paying the 2.9% fee. Parents can withdraw directly to their bank account then.

If you're looking to meet minimum spend, then your best bet might to just sign-up for a pre-paid card, load some money to it via gift cards until the pre-paid card gets shutdown. There are other cards out there besides BlueBird, but like I said... they will get shutdown. However, loading up $3k - $10k should be fine before they get closed!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:34 am

As a purely practical issue, Rad Pad and Plastiq don't always actually verify payees. This is especially more common when it seems obvious that you're paying a party that is not yourself. Take that as you will.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: Southwest RR
Have you tried onradpad already? They never verified my lease agreement so it might work. Another option is to load paypal my cash cards to your account and send the payment via paypal to your parents. Loading the account is just under a 1% fee. Only catch is you can only load $500 per day so it's multiple trips to CVS. A tip about CVS: be nice and get to know the cashiers.. they are not all familiar with paypal reloads and it goes way smoother when they know/recognize you.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:26 am

Venmo and Square Cash. Both allow you to send money to anyone with an email address. Debit cards are free, credit cards are 3% fee.

The receiver simply links their debit card to Venmo/Square Cash, and incoming payments are deposited directly into their bank account.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spamman808
I don't want to go the gift card to MO route, because it would be a hassle for me, but more importantly for them as well. I normally just deposit a check into their account here and it's easy...but doesn't help me meet a spend. I'm trying to do this in a way that they don't have to do any extra work...

Not really. You just deposit the MO instead of the check.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredmc2020
Have you tried onradpad already? They never verified my lease agreement so it might work. Another option is to load paypal my cash cards to your account and send the payment via paypal to your parents. Loading the account is just under a 1% fee. Only catch is you can only load $500 per day so it's multiple trips to CVS. A tip about CVS: be nice and get to know the cashiers.. they are not all familiar with paypal reloads and it goes way smoother when they know/recognize you.

Tried it. Since my parents and I have the last name they need the lease agreement. Think I'll try Pay Pal or Venmo as suggested by you and others...probably Venmo since it doesn't require much effort.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
You're likely better off just transferring them cash bank to bank and meet your spend via other means such as GC/MO/Serve..
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Serve shut down with everyone else. I wish I could still do that.

Can I deposit a money order into my parent's account in a bank like I would a regular check? (sorry for my lack of knowledge)

Thanks again for the help.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:18 pm

Serve shut down with everyone else. I wish I could still do that.

Can I deposit a money order into my parent's account in a bank like I would a regular check? (sorry for my lack of knowledge)

Thanks again for the help.
Yes, as long as their financial institution allows it (some don't). A money order is basically a prepaid check.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by digitalpop
Venmo and Square Cash. Both allow you to send money to anyone with an email address. Debit cards are free, credit cards are 3% fee.
Doesn't that then possibly trigger complications with 1099-K forms that Venmo / Square may send to the receiver?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:46 am

You could always transfer money via PP to someone else!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:02 pm

I normally just deposit a check into their account here and it's easy...
Easiest/most cost effective way I know would be to deposit the MO into their account.

A LOT of people pay rent with MO because landlords are allergic to rubber checks, so it would not be out of the ordinary to them. People are lined up on the first of the month, time to pay the rent!

My sisters and I will occasionally lend each other money, and I have never had any trouble filling out the MO, signing the back with For Deposit Only. I've even had 3,000.00 total to deposit at times. (We all have rental properties and deposit MO's often anyway) Our bankers know who we are and it's not odd.

My tenants all deposit their rent into my account at the branch 1/2 a block from the rental property. They won't take personal checks from them, just cash or MO. They even call me on the spot if someone tries to deposit a check.

And just to cover all of the bases, the account that they deposit into is NOT a business account. Their bank shouldn't care why you are sending mom and dad money.

edited to add... if their bank knows you make that deposit, and they allow that deposit... they shouldn't really care that you changed the method of payment to MO. Just try it. Worst case? You have a MO to deposit yourself or pay another bill with and knowledge gained.

Last edited by PenneyPincher; Feb 6, 2016 at 2:07 pm Reason: edited to add...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.