Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Hopefully, the next change will be current month redemption of RDs just like CitiDC, that'll be wonderful : )
I had issues redeeming my RDs from last month. Statement cut on the 27th with zero balance but when I tried redeeming, it wouldn't progress to successful redemption so I called CS for assistance. Either I got lucky(?) or this has been going on that we can redeem RDs from current statement, not just last month's statement. I told CS I had trouble redeeming my RD and he said I can redeem not just last month's RD but current RD as well. Yes!!! I'll redeem all available RDs; I got email confirmation of the RDs redeemed that will post in 24 to 72 hrs. Had I known that by calling, I can redeem current RDs, I would've done it all the time so I can use the CBs for bank churning.

I'm not saying this is a new policy, I consider it YMMV for now depending on rep you talk to unless others say they've also redeemed their current RD that is at least $25.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Whittaker
Where the heck did they move that running balance to since the makeover ?
I track it in an Excel spreadsheet. of course, Amex tool for all charges and the way it allows to separate by category helps me put everything together monthly.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:15 pm

I had issues redeeming my RDs from last month. Statement cut on the 27th with zero balance but when I tried redeeming, it wouldn't progress to successful redemption so I called CS for assistance. Either I got lucky(?) or this has been going on that we can redeem RDs from current statement, not just last month's statement. I told CS I had trouble redeeming my RD and he said I can redeem not just last month's RD but current RD as well. Yes!!! I'll redeem all available RDs; I got email confirmation of the RDs redeemed that will post in 24 to 72 hrs. Had I known that by calling, I can redeem current RDs, I would've done it all the time so I can use the CBs for bank churning.

I'm not saying this is a new policy, I consider it YMMV for now depending on rep you talk to unless others say they've also redeemed their current RD that is at least $25.
I know you are experienced in the hobby, what I don't understand is why you called? That's a quick way to have a human look at the acct. By waiting a week or two, it would straighten itself out. I don't jump on the RD when they post. I wait at least a week and have no problem on 3 RD cards over 3 years.
carlitos likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:03 pm

Completely random question - new insurance bill can only be paid in a few stores if you want to use a CC - CVS is one of them. Had been using our business Spark for a few months until I realized it may show as Drugstore - has anyone else paid insurance at CVS who knows the coding?

On the Spark, it says" Appears on statement as: CVS/PHARMACY " -- and category is healthcare (never used Spark for normal drugstore purchases so not sure if that's what they all show up as, or if those would show as Drugstore like Amex)

If it would get 5% I'd wait til my 6500 and then use the obc to get 5% on all those payments. However if it doesn't I'll likely prepay some to get me to 6500 quicker.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by lovesfashion
Completely random question - new insurance bill can only be paid in a few stores if you want to use a CC - CVS is one of them. Had been using our business Spark for a few months until I realized it may show as Drugstore - has anyone else paid insurance at CVS who knows the coding?

On the Spark, it says" Appears on statement as: CVS/PHARMACY " -- and category is healthcare (never used Spark for normal drugstore purchases so not sure if that's what they all show up as, or if those would show as Drugstore like Amex)

If it would get 5% I'd wait til my 6500 and then use the obc to get 5% on all those payments. However if it doesn't I'll likely prepay some to get me to 6500 quicker.
how are you paying insurance bill at CVS?

CVS is a pharmacy so you will get 5% with OBC I would think if using CVS registers.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
how are you paying insurnance bull at CVS?

CVS is a pharmacy so you will get 5% with OBC.

You can also use the 1st 6500 at CVS.

I think its 1% (for pharmacy/grocery/gas) vs .05% fir 1st 6500?
Blue Cross lets you pay at a few local stores with a CC ( I assume its a deal where the store thinks you will shop more when coming in or something like that.) Only old grandfathered members can pay with a CC online, and this one is new so that's the only way I can use a CC. I just didn't know if they coded those payments differently than they code a regular CVS purchase of stuff.

I can get the 1%, but I'd rather get to 6500 with things that would only get me 2% otherwise, rather than something that could get me 5%. I don't really ms now, and many of our bills dont take Amex unfortunately.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Several dozen
Do believe that AMEX is trying to scare all its customers away. What else explains the logic of freezing accounts that receive points for referring new customers? Assume it is preparation for an upcoming financial crisis where they will be demanding taxpayer bailout money. When they stick out their hand, we taxpayers should dump a rat trap in it.

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
AMEX is a mess. For such a large well-known company, disaster all around this year.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
I know you are experienced in the hobby, what I don't understand is why you called? That's a quick way to have a human look at the acct. By waiting a week or two, it would straighten itself out. I don't jump on the RD when they post. I wait at least a week and have no problem on 3 RD cards over 3 years.
I made them look at my account back in Feb because their YTD computation was a lot less than my computation; they didn't include purchases from last quarter of last year and OBC goes by anniversary year, not calendar year like BCE and BCP. They sent email that necessary correction was made and I've already met the $6.5K. There are instances that don't correct themselves, it is up to us to follow up and if it requires looking into the account, so be it. If only they did NOT disable the chat feature, I prefer to chat than call. Other than that, I'm satisfied with AXP customer service these days.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:41 am
CDO
Suspended

I made them look at my account back in Feb because their YTD computation was a lot less than my computation; they didn't include purchases from last quarter of last year and OBC goes by anniversary year, not calendar year like BCE and BCP. They sent email that necessary correction was made and I've already met the $6.5K. There are instances that don't correct themselves, it is up to us to follow up and if it requires looking into the account, so be it. If only they did NOT disable the chat feature, I prefer to chat than call. Other than that, I'm satisfied with AXP customer service these days.
If it's a small amount I would let it slide, amex is way too unpredictable when you ask for your account to be looked at.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:56 am

A new reward year just started for my wife's OBC. I am curious whether the first $6.5k in Simon Mall VGCs still trigger the 5% CB for the next $50K in bonus categories. Amex's system didn't count spending on SMVGCs for meeting the signup bonus requirement of the MB Platinum card earlier this year. Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
A new reward year just started for my wife's OBC. I am curious whether the first $6.5k in Simon Mall VGCs still trigger the 5% CB for the next $50K in bonus categories. Amex's system didn't count spending on SMVGCs for meeting the signup bonus requirement of the MB Platinum card earlier this year. Thanks!
Worked for us with two different cards 2 and 3 mo ago. Expect that it still should. It's sign up bonuses that seem to have issues with Simon.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Worked for us with two different cards 2 and 3 mo ago. Expect that it still should. It's sign up bonuses that seem to have issues with Simon.
Sweet! Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:53 am

Hi Guys - My first reward year just ended like 2 weeks ago, but the website hasn't updated it showing the dates of the new reward year. Does this normally take a little bit of time to reset? I'm going to start working on the min spen right now.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by pancakeman27
Hi Guys - My first reward year just ended like 2 weeks ago, but the website hasn't updated it showing the dates of the new reward year. Does this normally take a little bit of time to reset? I'm going to start working on the min spen right now.
My reward year hasn't reset on the webpage after three months! But the actual cash-back benefits seem to have reset like they were supposed to.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:09 am

You've already gone through the 6500 and it bumped up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.