Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by FrankMS
OBC used to be uncapped????
BCP too... mmm....
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United
Has anyone tried to product change to the OBC or all DPs say it's not possible? I've tried in the past but not sure if its a HUCA situation or it really is a dead end.

I currently have BCP and the account is over 10 yrs old (so definitely want to keep it open and either PC or downgrade. Did some number crunching and I'm better off with the OBC. Problem is I'm trying to stay away from any hard pulls as I'm close to being under 5/24 and planning on applying for some Chase cards in the near future.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by NYC2MNL
Has anyone tried to product change to the OBC or all DPs say it's not possible? I've tried in the past but not sure if its a HUCA situation or it really is a dead end.

I currently have BCP and the account is over 10 yrs old (so definitely want to keep it open and either PC or downgrade. Did some number crunching and I'm better off with the OBC. Problem is I'm trying to stay away from any hard pulls as I'm close to being under 5/24 and planning on applying for some Chase cards in the near future.
I was in the same situation... I HUCA'ed probably 5-7 times and spoke to different reps in various departments and it always ended up with the same denial. I've never heard of anyone PCing to OBC (not within the past year or two, at least).

I'll be below 5/24 in a few more months, but I felt OBC was still worth a new HP so I went for it after all the stupid PC attempts.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:18 am

Does anybody know how to see the Rewards Summary page in the Amex OBC account? It requires Flash but it's depreciated in both Chrome and Firefox.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by vinhtantran
Does anybody know how to see the Rewards Summary page in the Amex OBC account? It requires Flash but it's depreciated in both Chrome and Firefox.
You aren't missing anything. It's a little dial that tells you how much cashback you currently have, not how much you have earned in the current cycle, not how much you earned last cycle, of no use whatsoever.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:19 pm

My card just entered into a new calendar year after reaching the Anniversary date. With T&C change, I understand that reloadable/cash equivalent/gift card does not count toward the everyday purchase. I just need a clarification. Does this mean, even if you buy $xxxx.xx worth of "cash equivalent" to meet the first requirement, you won't earn 5% on the subsequent cash equivalent purchase, starting new calendar year?
I would need to re-strategize my plan if that is the case. Any comments appreciated.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by msiamsia
My card just entered into a new calendar year after reaching the Anniversary date. With T&C change, I understand that reloadable/cash equivalent/gift card does not count toward the everyday purchase. I just need a clarification. Does this mean, even if you buy $xxxx.xx worth of "cash equivalent" to meet the first requirement, you won't earn 5% on the subsequent cash equivalent purchase, starting new calendar year?
I would need to re-strategize my plan if that is the case. Any comments appreciated.
Great question. It's been discussed that buying GCs at certain places no longer counts towards meeting bonus spending requirements. I am guessing purchases at those places would not help with meeting initial $6.5k spend to get to the 5% bonus, so until you spend $6.5k on 'everyday purchases' you'll be earning rewards at lower rates. The big question is, what has AMEX already flagged as the source of purchases that don't qualify as everyday spend.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Great question. It's been discussed that buying GCs at certain places no longer counts towards meeting bonus spending requirements. I am guessing purchases at those places would not help with meeting initial $6.5k spend to get to the 5% bonus, so until you spend $6.5k on 'everyday purchases' you'll be earning rewards at lower rates. The big question is, what has AMEX already flagged as the source of purchases that don't qualify as everyday spend.
GC purchases counted for me back in July to start up the new cycle, and I got all 6500 worth at local grocery stores. I don't think they care as much about these redhead stepchild credit cards and small time MS on them, as they do about bonus "gaming" on their premier products.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:58 pm

Sorry guys...been absent for a while. I have the OBC from back in 2013. I always get $6,500 by buying VGC and then organically spend an additional $20K organically.

I am confused a to whether the first $6,500 will count to reach the threshold needed to trigger the 5%. If I reach the first $6,500 by buying VGC, will any purchase above earn 5% cash back if made at a grocery chain?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun
If I reach the first $6,500 by buying VGC, will any purchase above earn 5% cash back if made at a grocery chain?
Yes.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:10 am

GC purchases counted for me back in July to start up the new cycle, and I got all 6500 worth at local grocery stores. I don't think they care as much about these redhead stepchild credit cards and small time MS on them, as they do about bonus "gaming" on their premier products.
Thank you guys. I see... I might try grocery and that pharmacy chain to see which one counts toward anything. Again, thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:30 am

With the anti-gaming language rolling out for MR cards on Nov 1, is anyone going to tread lightly on OBC for awhile? I know the anti-gaming terms haven't been applied to the cash back cards yet, but I'm wondering if there will be more scrutiny now across all cards.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by DrForce
With the anti-gaming language rolling out for MR cards on Nov 1, is anyone going to tread lightly on OBC for awhile? I know the anti-gaming terms haven't been applied to the cash back cards yet, but I'm wondering if there will be more scrutiny now across all cards.
I'd say its better to go big while you still can than to pussy foot around in fear of a shutdown/limiting.
carlitos and jjd477 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
Isn't the Nov 1st language only applying to MR? I don't see them doing anything to OBC with the cap in place.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The bigger you go, the bigger you go splat, as in after our good friends at the USPS shut down plastic recycling. Keep your GC inventories low.

Originally Posted by slack455
I'd say its better to go big while you still can than to pussy foot around in fear of a shutdown/limiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.