Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by givingitatry
I have the same problem. I redeemed $xxx on Feb 24 after my statement closed on the 23rd, assuming it would be applied to my balance and then paid the difference online. I looked today and even though it shows the xxx redemption, it states my balance is xxx.
Today during a chat, the rep stated they will be applied on my next statement, not my current billing. I asked why and she said they are applied to future purchases, so I was still responsible for the $xxx. If I hadn't inquired, I would have gotten hit with a late fee and interest for assuming this reduced my balance to 0. I asked her where in the terms and conditions it stated this and she quoted wording not in the card holder agreement on the web site. She offered me to a supervisor but I don't want the eyes on my account.

Just a heads up to everybody so they don't get hit with charges. Next time I will redeem the rewards before the statement end date.
I found this out the hard way too. You only make redemptions against charges posted during the CURRENT cycle, not the balance you owe from a recently closed statement.

If you blaze through your 5x in less than 12 months, you then have to either actually use the card, or buy more GCs just to have a high enough balance to redeem against your last few statements.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:11 am

Today during a chat, the rep stated they will be applied on my next statement, not my current billing. I asked why and she said they are applied to future purchases, so I was still responsible for the $xxx.
It states it quite plainly somewhere in the redeeming rewards section.

As I've previously mentioned upthread, I believe the folks that have been calling to get their rewards moved-up to apply to current balances is what culminated in these system-wide changes. The rewards are only supposed to apply to the FOLLOWING statement.

Some folks just don't seem to grasp the meaning of keeping a low profile.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Hbax
It states it quite plainly somewhere in the redeeming rewards section.

As I've previously mentioned upthread, I believe the folks that have been calling to get their rewards moved-up to apply to current balances is what culminated in these system-wide changes. The rewards are only supposed to apply to the FOLLOWING statement.

Some folks just don't seem to grasp the meaning of keeping a low profile.
Lighten up Francis. (bonus if you can name the movie)

I didn't call to get my rewards moved up. The rewards were based on their normal slow cycle. They were earned in December and I redeemed them a couple weeks after they showed up in early Feb. after the Jan statement closed.

In the past, they always applied to the current billing when I redeemed them like this. I know they delay a billing cycle to showing up as available. Now there are saying the redemption delays a billing cycle of being applied to your account balance. You have to pay the full statement amount and wait another month for the redemption to be credited.

No where in the terms I have access to does it mention the "new" delay to be applied once redeemed. In fact it says they will be applied to your balance in 2-3 days.

Last edited by givingitatry; Mar 3, 2016 at 11:08 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:20 pm

I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that they knew that they'd screwed up the rewards and that they'd post soon. I can dig up the exact wording if anyone's interested, but that was the gist of it.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:57 pm

Lighten up Francis.
Stop overreacting.

I didn't call to get my rewards moved up.
Never claimed you did.

I posted "some folks", as others have posted to the thread about calling in about getting their rewards moved up.

Now there are saying the redemption delays a billing cycle of being applied to your account balance. You have to pay the full statement amount and wait another month for the redemption to be credited.
That's how it's always been. It just wasn't strictly enforced. Now they're just reinforcing it by instituting a longer delay.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:44 pm

[QUOTE=Hbax;26279320]Stop overreacting.

sorry, no bonus, you didn't name the movie.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Several dozen
That was one half-assed movie! Literally!

[QUOTE=givingitatry;26279567]
Originally Posted by Hbax
Stop overreacting.

sorry, no bonus, you didn't name the movie.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:31 pm

even though it shows the xxx redemption, it states my balance is xxx.
My experience so far has been that even though the reward redemption doesn't make the Remaining Statement Balance shown on the website go down, I wasn't charged interest.
Has anyone actually been charged interest?

A clarification: when I've redeemed rewards, I've also paid the remaining amount from a bank. Maybe if there was a situation where your rewards were enough to cover the whole balance, so you didn't even make the minimum payment from another source, there could be a problem? To be safe, you could always pay at least the minimum payment from a non-rewards source.

Last edited by sbft77; Mar 4, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
My experience so far has been that even though the reward redemption doesn't make the Remaining Statement Balance shown on the website go down, I wasn't charged interest.
Has anyone actually been charged interest?

A clarification: when I've redeemed rewards, I've also paid the remaining amount from a bank. Maybe if there was a situation where your rewards were enough to cover the whole balance, so you didn't even make the minimum payment from another source, there could be a problem? To be safe, you could always pay at least the minimum payment from a non-rewards source.
I had paid the balance after the redemption. After being told I would be charge interest, I paid the amount of my redemption. Now 2 days later, I have a credit balance of the redemption. Not a big deal, as I am gonna hammer it this weekend at drug store and groceries. just a pain having made the extra payment.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:57 am

Someone had posted in 2015 thread that you could have this and the new everyday blue. AMEX cancelled my OBC app until I cancelled my everyday blue. Just curious how you get both?

Also, I just got this beginning of January. I hit 6.5k in Jan and another 5k in Feb. Obviously I haven't seen any rewards yet. I read in their terms that cash equivalents don't count. I really only have CVS or rite aid for vgc. Mainly why I got the OBC. Are they enforcing this clause yet?

Lastly, I know this is almost a year later but does my 6.5k come in January or after that statement closes?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dardack
Someone had posted in 2015 thread that you could have this and the new everyday blue. AMEX cancelled my OBC app until I cancelled my everyday blue. Just curious how you get both?

Also, I just got this beginning of January. I hit 6.5k in Jan and another 5k in Feb. Obviously I haven't seen any rewards yet. I read in their terms that cash equivalents don't count. I really only have CVS or rite aid for vgc. Mainly why I got the OBC. Are they enforcing this clause yet?

Lastly, I know this is almost a year later but does my 6.5k come in January or after that statement closes?
My wife had both for about a year. The everyday card first then added the OBC. You aren't at your 4 card limit with AMEX are you?

On the AMEX website you can look at your current and past spending and see how it was coded so you will know if your purchases are it the 5% category. IME CVS and Rite Aid post as Drug store @ 5%.

I keep a spreadsheet of my monthly purchases so I know when my new year starts again. But if you just want to keep it simple charge $4500 per month in the 5% categories and you can keep up that up continually.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
My wife had both for about a year. The everyday card first then added the OBC. You aren't at your 4 card limit with AMEX are you?

On the AMEX website you can look at your current and past spending and see how it was coded so you will know if your purchases are it the 5% category. IME CVS and Rite Aid post as Drug store @ 5%.

I keep a spreadsheet of my monthly purchases so I know when my new year starts again. But if you just want to keep it simple charge $4500 per month in the 5% categories and you can keep up that up continually.
Thanks. Nope in fact I only had the everyday when I tried to apply for the OBC. It cancelled the app right away. When I called they said you can't have more then 1 blue card. I called back cancelled my everyday and the OBC app sent to processing from cancelled.

Yeah I know CVS/ra are both coded 5%. My concern is when they can tell your buying vgc.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dardack
Thanks. Nope in fact I only had the everyday when I tried to apply for the OBC. It cancelled the app right away. When I called they said you can't have more then 1 blue card. I called back cancelled my everyday and the OBC app sent to processing from cancelled.

Yeah I know CVS/ra are both coded 5%. My concern is when they can tell your buying vgc.

We canceled the Everyday card, because the OBC is so much better.

IME they have not noticed the buying of VGCs. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

In the mean time, $4500/month rinse repeat. When it ends, it ends.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:51 am

Just signed up for the card with the link in the wiki, got approved.

I plan to use it purely for MS at a moderate pace. $3-4000/mo (including through the initial $6500 threshold) year round. A nice pace but leaving some on the table. All at drug stores.

Has anyone made an attempt to understand behavior that will invite a shutdown? Anecdotally it seems like it's mostly people who had the card before the $50,000 limit was introduced, and who exceeded that amount (sometimes by much more from the sound of it.) Just want to make sure I the ins and outs as much as I can, especially with Amex getting more diligent about smoking MSers out.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by dethkultur
Just signed up for the card with the link in the wiki, got approved.

I plan to use it purely for MS at a moderate pace. $3-4000/mo (including through the initial $6500 threshold) year round. A nice pace but leaving some on the table. All at drug stores.

Has anyone made an attempt to understand behavior that will invite a shutdown? Anecdotally it seems like it's mostly people who had the card before the $50,000 limit was introduced, and who exceeded that amount (sometimes by much more from the sound of it.) Just want to make sure I the ins and outs as much as I can, especially with Amex getting more diligent about smoking MSers out.
My brother got his OBC closed in just under 40 days from the day he activated it last fall for going all out at CVS and Stop and Shop starting with his first purchase. He'd max his 10K limit every 2-3 days, make a payment online, and repeat it again in a day or so when the payment posted.

I don't think he used it for anything other than VGCs so I wasn't surprised when he told me he called AMEX when his card wouldn't work and they told him his account had been closed and to check his email for an explanation which if memory serves said something along the lines of "Usage in a manner not intended".

I was actually happy to hear of it since I warned him about hitting it too hard and too fast, but little brothers always think they know it all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.