Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
yeah the card is for MS only. After fees its about 3.8% clear = 2100 + or- per year.
Why MS for 1.2% cost when you can easily MS at drug stores for 0% cost if not less?!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by perkunas
Why MS for 1.2% cost when you can easily MS at drug stores for 0% cost if not less?!
not all can liquidate Vanillas
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
you made a big mistake cdog999. Why in hell would you contact them? . You can ruin this game by having eyes on the acct. Just accept the error and move on,, or will have no ms left to do. Not smart.
I think you are worrying too much. I'm not overly converned with someone in India checking the earn rate on a transaction.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by perkunas
How are you MS'ing drug stores at 0%?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by rct12345
at WAG, you can use a card linked at spent that gives 1% ; there are also offers every now and then you get free WAG gc wyb any 2 vanillas.. At CVS, there's Dosh that also pays for the fee. AFAIK, CBs paid by apps are capped, although there are glitches every now and then.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by rct12345
check the drugstore thread.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:14 am

Thanks for the replies.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:18 am

Has anyone ever used paypal to cut through the minimum spend quicker?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
at WAG, you can use a card linked at spent that gives 1% ; there are also offers every now and then you get free WAG gc wyb any 2 vanillas.. At CVS, there's Dosh that also pays for the fee. AFAIK, CBs paid by apps are capped, although there are glitches every now and then.
For the WG card linked for 1% - are you talking about the balance rewards point system?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by pancakeman27
For the WG card linked for 1% - are you talking about the balance rewards point system?
No. research Spent app to find out.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:09 am

Dosh for CVS sems to be regional, NE NY doesn't work, downstate ot does
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
WMNM OK?

I scrolled through this thread but could not confirm that a Walmart Neighborhood Market shows as grocery and credits the 5%.
Anyone? I guarantee I ain't in your 'hood. THANKS.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
I scrolled through this thread but could not confirm that a Walmart Neighborhood Market shows as grocery and credits the 5%.
Anyone? I guarantee I ain't in your 'hood. THANKS.
I have (3) OBCs and WMNM gives 5% in my area. You can try your store and then go to the "new version" view a few days after the charge has posted to see how much is being given.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by msthegame
My billing statement is not reporting my rewards balance details, is this somewhere else now?
Did you ever figure this out? I haven't used the card in about a year and just noticed this information missing from my last 2 statements now that I've started up again. To be clear, it used to break down the rewards into $x at 5% at gas stations, $x at 5% at supermarkets, etc. and then list the total qualified spend for the year. Now the only mention of rewards on the statement is a total as of the previous statement. I searched the website and couldn't find the breakdown there either.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Clueless12
I have (3) OBCs and WMNM gives 5% in my area. You can try your store and then go to the "new version" view a few days after the charge has posted to see how much is being given.
luck you. I have 2 OBCs...I was about to get my 3rd one, the link died.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.