Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:45 pm

still, as anyone figured out how many of us are still left using these OBC cards? Seems like it's so easy and Im always waiting for AMEX to drop the cards!!! I figure they show their stockholders the volume being done on their CC and that's all they care about.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
still, as anyone figured out how many of us are still left using these OBC cards? Seems like it's so easy and Im always waiting for AMEX to drop the cards!!! I figure they show their stockholders the volume being done on their CC and that's all they care about.
We only have two. Lost others when Amex shut us down with the Adam debacle. They would only reinstate one OBC per person.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Whittaker
I still do it. Not that I think I can fool them, but the less reason to be looking at my account, the better. Right after I crossed my latest 6500 threshold, I had like 3-4 500+ charges that showed 5% rewards, then one that didn't, then all since have been 5% rewards. No way I was gonna call about that one missing reward. It wasn't worth it to put eyes on my account.

Yep, I remember back when people were trying to do 50K in the first couple months of the year and got shut down. They didn't grasp that doing like 20K or more a month looks to Amex like your attempting to do a lot more on an annualized basis. The velocity could even be triggered by the algorithm.

And Amex can pitch to advertisers that they have these high-spending cardholders they can advertise to.
Amex May have a different definition of high spending. Im sure they know. But its just not an issue. Especially after Covid. There are other business issues to consider.

anyway, I have 1. I stopped using it before Covid. Life circumstances changed, it was harder to make use of the card, I moved etc. But I still have it. I only use it occasionally now. I use the crap out of my other Amex cards, but not for MS.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Amex May have a different definition of high spending. Im sure they know.
Sure, Amex knows or can know, but to advertisers, volume is volume. We look like high-income high-spenders they would want to sell stuff.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:35 pm

well, I'm still here going thru 3 OBC cards. So far, no adverse actions from AMEX, had these cards for 6 or 7 years, after the meltdown in Oct, do not remember the year, but I was still working back then!! Not now,.. have plenty of time to buy VGC and MCGC at groceries and CVS. I also buy a pack of gum or can of tuna so I know they are not fooled, but it works! Anybody still doing these cards? If we can, we can talk liquidation methods.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:45 pm

Still have a handful

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.